Are Women More Compassionate Than Men?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Viswamitra, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I also noticed that there are more women volunteers. I realized this first hand when I tried to sign up for a volunteering that interested me, and they said even the waiting-list for interested women volunteers is full, while they don't have enough men volunteers.

I am wondering is there a direct correlation between level of compassion and volunteering. My feeling is that the level of compassion might have to do with nature and conditioning. Whether a person volunteers or not is based more on what the person gets from the volunteering and is the person logistically able to make the time for it. It is based less on what the person has to contribute to the volunteering, such as more compassion.

Two of my female friends volunteer to tutor high school students in Calculus and AP Physics on weekday evenings. They are both busy working women with teenage kid(s). They make the time to drive 20 minutes to teach a 1-1.5 hr class to a group of 4-5 low-income kids. Both say they do it as they need an outlet from the stress of parenting their own kid(s) who I know are even more challenging than regular teenagers (drugs, police, skipping school...)

Funny thing was that they are in different parts of the U.S., don't know each other and turned to a similar volunteering activity in response to a similar real-life challenge, and it was not suggested to them

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

WhenI think about my family ,close and extended....the most compassionate one is a man , one of my maternal uncles..
    The most dispassionate one ,bordering on cruel is also a man .

So I guess , it is specific to people irrespective of gender. The gender based stereotypying in general is very artificial .

Viswamitra likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

You are right. There is a good chance that people may determine volunteering based on their availability and what they could get out of it such as stress relief. Frankly, I never thought of it. Being mentally trained to consider selfless service as part of the right living principle, it escaped my attention. Even then, there is a personal motive behind serving people.

Thank you for sharing about two of your female friends how they spend one and half hours to teach low-income kids to relieve their stress from parenting.

4. Viswamitra

[QUOTE The gender based stereotypying in general is very artificial .[/QUOTE]

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. May be it is a coincidence that more women are volunteering statistically and I am reading too much into it. May be men are more giving and compassionate but are not part of recorded volunteering for this statistical purposes.

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    I think both men and women are equally compassionate. But the way of dealing or sharing is at a different level. Men and women in difficult situations need both emotional touch and practical way of solving a problem. Both important. A healing touch , soothing words go a long way in helping a person to recover and of course women can do better. Men donate, create infrastructure to solve problems is laudable. Both are equally important. In families also the same happens. Kids from hostel call home. Say hi to dad and ask him to give phone to mom. Mom asks them if they have eaten properly, slept good and on and on and talk for long. When Dad asks mom what they have talked so long....she smiles and says nothing. Fathers do not express much thought they feel the same way.
    Syamala

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. rgz

rgz Gold IL'ite

Yes, this is what I was trying to convey to Viswa in my earlier post.

7. Viswamitra

The point taken and responded above.

8. Viswamitra

Thank you for your perspective. I agree children mostly share information and bond much better with the mother. But when it comes to helping strangers through volunteering, women appeared to dominate contributing physically to the society than men. It is true men may contribute through their donations. If the emotions are the same for both gender, why less men volunteer to help the needy than women? There is clear statistics that women volunteer more than women in the US.

9. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

Both have compassion but the way they express can differ. However it does look that females tend to be more compassionate in the circumstances mentioned due to social factors and maybe as you told due to hormones as well.

It could be due to the way they are socially conditioned as you have told. The girls from their early childhood have been exposed to nurturing care and the expectations are reinforced as they grow to prepare them for their future roles in family life. Similarly boys are raised up to be bold and conditioned to put up a strong face even in adversaries. Maybe it had to do with the traditional role of men working for the family and women helping with the kids care. All these roles still continue to happen though there are varying degrees of role interchange ( helping each other ).

Regarding volunteering mostly females tend to be in more charitable works but some volunteering which involves manual work does have males like fire department. So as you said the “fight and flight” maybe the reason why certain departments have more men as volunteers and where more emotional compassion is required the females are present more.

Women tend to use volunteering as a means of meeting like minded people and have more interest in those areas. Another aspect is the time constraint for the main caregiver in a family. In a traditional role the males are expected to work full time and provide financially more to the household, though it can be the other way around. But from what I had come across it’s almost taken for granted that males work full time. Females do take time off from work due to the familial reasons and they tend to be working part time lots of time. Could that reason be another reason? Some youngsters use volunteering as means to enhance their way to enter into their profession of choice or to improve their career goals.

I just gave some reasons which came across to me.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

@Agathinai,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to give a comprehensive response. You have certainly added more points to the rationale for finding women volunteer more than men in the society. Every point you have made makes a lot of sense to me.

I have met with a few men and women volunteers to understand the reasoning for their volunteering. One woman told that she volunteers in the Hospice because her husband died in the same ward 5 years ago and she wanted to bond with the caregivers who gave excellent care to her husband. Another woman is volunteering because as a teacher, she was tied up all her life at work with no friends. This is her way of making new friends after retirement. I met a few men who volunteered as well. One of them told me he is a priest in a Church and he wanted to practice what he preaches every Sunday. Another one was a veteran and wanted to serve the veterans who needed his service. The motivation comes from different perspectives. Personally, I am unable to find any reason for my volunteering. Perhaps, in my subconscious mind, I wanted to understand death better or felt giving to those who are in need is Altruism.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Agathinai likes this.