Are We Wasting A Lot Of Money In The Name Of Pride/lifestyle /status?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Apr 24, 2016.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am not a saint.there was a time when I used to shop every week,be it clothes or household stuff or handbags etc...
    Did that make me happy?maybe temporarily for few days at the max!

Whether you have money or not,be it even hard earned..a question arose in my mind..why do we spend so much?the way some parents spend of birthday parties,women on clothes ,weddings..not that it is anything wrong.some say"I have it..so am spending".i have an ex friend who has bags and sandals and clothes in almost every high end brand.her home is like a mall but itself:))she has like 10 brand new sarees freaking high priced not even wore once as she said she is just collecting.her shalwar kameez minimum 15,000 rs and she used to get annoyed if they r not complimented enough.we once had a conversation about happiness and she says she is not happy.so did the wealth bring happiness?

I did a small experiment for the past one year.i did not spend uneccessarily.i wore the clothes which I had and I brought clothes only if I needed it.i kept my home neat with whatever I had and brought stuff only if it was necessary.my kids birthday party I celebrated at home with only very close friends and family and it was bliss and the kids enjoyed a lot.the enjoyment was no different for the kid than the lavish party which I had for the last few years.

Some interesting things happened.my ordinary handbag which I got from a local store and complimented alongside my friend's Prada.my clothes which I got my Ross worth probably$15 and of course the quality was good,got complimented a lot..and my home is considered neat and beautiful with its simple decor.

I saved money in the process,learnt money spent on experiences mean more than things,and we can also help others.

In a nutshell,nothing wrong in enjoying life,nothing wrong in buying brands and looking great but when I hear conversations,making friends,status in the name of money..feels it is not the right thing.luxury and desire is good.greed is not.life is much more than status.people and kindness bring more happiness than status.

Just few random thoughts..

2. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I have similar experiences..I believe in keeping anything low profile these days..no expensive celebrations...

Since I'm not working I m very sensitive to value of money and dislike extravagant spending for anything..

I purchase household grocery items and fruits or veggies as and when I need them and in smaller quantities so no scope for wastage or spoilage and getting discarded..I try not to purchase too many snacks at a time..max. 2 biscuit packets and 1 snack packet..that also helps me in not hogging on junk food as I'm weight concious.

Clothes and handbags I purchase as and when I need them else I just do window shopping..i don't buy expensive or branded stuff..I buy regular priced and good quality stuff at renowned showrooms after comparing prices in different showrooms and I go for the one which is reasonably priced..I utilize discount offers when I buy any amount in bulk...and if I do online shopping I see the price of the product in multiple online shopping websites before deciding from where to purchase..if any of my top gets little worn out I will use it to wear at home over pyjamas..if it gets too faded I use it for household cleaning and dusting purposes before discarding.

Once upon a time I also used to shop like crazy for clothes..but then I realised one thing..I.e ladies weight fluctuate often due to hormonal changes and other lifestyle changes..if we buy too many clothes in current size and then they do not fit after awhile due to weight gain or loss then so much money gets wasted right..better to have reasonable no. Of clothes and buy as and when size changes and work on maintaining the weight constant. Keeping that in mind these days I favour clothes that can be easily altered and not tight fitting.

I try to utilise any item to its maximum before disposing it..I try to make innovative recipes at home rather than eating out or ordering out..as a result I do not crave much for outside food..if I eat once in 15 days or once a week it's a big deal for me.. It's not just for saving money but also for health reasons..sometimes I get stomach upset if I eat heavy outside food hence I don't have it often..many people wonder why I'm like this but I find inner peace in spending sensibly...

Many of my contemporaries do not hesitate to spend 10000 INR for single evening of partying ...or thousands of rupees on branded stuff..or thousands of rupees for a lunch for two each and every weekend..I sometimes envy people who have a very extravagant lifestyle but I know very well that even if I do go for work and earn a good salary my spending habits will not change..

While a few people compliment for sensible spending habits..some people make fun of me for being miserly or kanjoos..I simple ignore that :D

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

you are no way a kanjoos.you are being sensible:)

U are also very right about clothes and weight.

generic likes this.
  4. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Thank u :)

anika987 likes this.
  5. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

@generic!! Beautiful words!! Loved it when you said ."ladies weight fluctuate often due to hormonal changes and other lifestyle changes..if we buy too many clothes in current size and then they do not fit after awhile due to weight gain or loss then so much money gets wasted right." I have been thinking about this quiet a few months and am yet to get treated for my dressomania :facepalm:. Will be treated soon!! :grinning:

Your words were really thought provoking one!! :thumbsup:

6. Goodgod

Goodgod IL Hall of Fame

Anika987... I believe and had been leading such a life , and am very happy to see your post. Excellent and keep it up. Live this way with firm conviction and you & all around will feel happiness and satisfaction.

anika987 likes this.
  7. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

@anika987 and @generic - Nice post!!!...

Today's world, rather than living a luxurious life, showing off an luxurious life is seen everywhere.... I have seen many of my IT friends, buy dresses and handbags for thousands, go out for food very often, that too high profiled restaurants and spend lots of money....

I used to think, am I the only "Odd woman Out" here.... because, I dont spend on dresses, cosmetics, handbags..... but I go out for food once in a week to a good restaurant (Lazy to Cook!!!)...Similarly I spend very minimum for fruits and groceries.... One of my fried shocked on hearing my groceries expenses,,,she spends around 10K for the groceries though the no of people in both of our house is same....

But I feel contented with what I have.... I am happy when I dont go for costliest dress just for the sake of getting it.... I think we should observe, where we waste money and get a hold of it.... this way, we teach our kids about leading a happy+contented life....

8. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

A Nice post and thoughts from you Anika :):thumbsup: . Be happy like this and enjoy your life always.
    When I heard about Rich people like Ambani's luxurious house ( maybe I have to call palace) and other stuff I feel just like you. I think why don't they help poor people instead of wasting money.Of course that is their personal choice.
    True, I too spend some money on my desires at the same time I give some money to charity .As you said helping others in my limits makes me happy.

dc24, Justanotherwife and anika987 like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks good god:)

Goodgod likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I like when u said"we should observe,where we waste money and get a hold of it"..nice way to out to put things

deeprapriya likes this.