1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are we guiding our children in the right path?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by krishnaamma, Feb 21, 2008.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

While we were children we listened to various stories of Hinduism and about our Gods during festivals or seasonal kathakalakshebams by great people like Anantha Rama Dikshidar, Mukkur Sri. Lakshmi Narashima Chariyar, Thooppul Sri. Lakshmi Narashima Chariyar, Sri. Balakrishna sasthrigal, Sri Jaya Rama Sharma, Sri. Keran and more recently Our Velukudi Krishnan. The stories were depicted as laid down in our mythology and even when they expressed their views on certain incidents etc., it is only to sharpen our understanding on the subject story or the greatness of a particular character.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Whereas nowadays, I see that the children are fed with lots of cds marketed by commercial minded people who depict Hindu Gods like Hanuman or Vinayaga through their graphical talents and make children feel very lightly about the mighty Gods. The stories and incidents shown there are not the true ones but made by their talents in line with the present days’ trend. For example depicting Hanuman as school boy in a cd.
    <o:p></o:p>
    We always have Bhakthi on our Gods which is a mixture of certain level of fear. It is like the fear we have while we behave in front of elders or big people.The present children will not have such a bhakthi with our Gods but will presume them as their school friend. More over certain depictions shown in these cds show certain unrealistic scenes to lure children towards doing things which are not possible at all in normal life. By seeing these things some children who have tough characters or a bit violent or courageous will get into troubles and put others also into trouble.
    I can tell an example of a true incident wherein one boy tried to jump from his flat telling that he wanted to fly like Hanuman. These cds or stories will make children to feel that they are not Gods and when they go to temples they may not have pious feeling. There is no censorship for these cds and so only the parents should decide to discourage children from seeing and having different conclusions on our Gods.
    In our busy life parents who both go to offices find easy ways to give diversions to their children by procuring these cds, instead they should try to get cds of the above great people’s thereby we will make our children to listen to good words in our mother tongue and true stories. This listening and seeing will give them the real bhakthi and our culture instead of considering God equal to their neighbour or a playmate. When children grow higher than our shoulders we can become their friends but we should not give the same treatment to God.
    Anyway this is my feeling. I invite comments on this.

2. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Amar Chitra Katha had the Indian myhtological stories in form of comics. That was trend in the 90s. Me and my brother were big fans of Panchatantra and and Amarchitra katha.

I have't seen the new CD versions, but if I think of it, some of it is to lure children to watch it, most of the depiction is to make money. A senior level movie will be Jodha Akbar. Misinterprettaion of facts as Rajputs are protesting. Commercial intentions play a major role while making movies. As for children, their mind is like wet cement. So a correct depiction is so important. I hope we are heard Ms. Krishnamma.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Krishanamma,

Quite true. I felt bad when i saw the sequel to hanuman.

My DS love mythological stories. so we try to get him the books, that are correct and will help him learn.

Moreover we also tell them the stories as were told to us by our GP's and parents .

I am not completely against the cd's but worried about the authencity and correctness.

Take the stories of ganesha, the north indian version cd's show a different story and south shows different and the children do get confused....

There should be thorough research and then atmost details taken into considerations before you release a cd.

4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Krishnaamma and friends

Very important topic.....and read all ur replies carefully and noted the points.....but what to do practically.....hlep me with that.......if the kids ar ready to read books then it is well and good...and some kids may refuse to read but love to see visuals only like my son....si i have no other go than to get CD whatever available in the market......to give him some knowledge abt our ethics, GOD.........iam helpless.........

5. krishnaamma

Hi Meenloch,

I am also one big fan of 'ambulimama' in tamil. and we used to read '3 mandira vadigal' 'karupu muthu' in Kalki weekly. But they are just like Phanthom or bat man stories. Just they are comics. In that more we use our imagination.

But when we talk about cds they will affect more because they are visual. Generally the children used to see cds many times a day and as you say they are raw clay. Once they started believing such unwanted or untruth it is very hard to change them. More over the parents don’t know about their situation. So these people could not help children. Now a days parents are thinking that their duty ends with buying cds. But it is not like that; that is our responsibility to check whether it is correct or not. Then only we can allow our children to watch.
    Another thing we Indians will fight for nothing and as you said they are protesting for Jodha Akbar and some cinema like that. But there is no one to fight against this. That is why I am worried and wrote this. We parents must stop buying these kind of cds or we have to explain our children that they are not real stories and they are also like fairy tails.
    Even though they show the charters of our Gods. Thanks for your comments.

6. krishnaamma

Hi Shanti,
    Your are correct. Already in one of my blogs I wrote about this reason for celeberatind 'deepavali'. For North India and South India there is one 'yug' difference. Even though somebody says that both are on the same day. But we are not tought like that. So already we are having many confusions and these people are increasing them by their visual graphic talente.

7. krishnaamma

Dear Latha,
    I am waiting for one post like this.:hiyaBecause you people are very important. People like you only handle this very nicely. Because you can give feed back to the cd companies and you people must refuce to buy if the stories are not true. You must not encourage cds like this.
    On the other hand, you have to teach your son or daughter the correct one and explain well about our Gods. You have to watch them and if they are really want to know about our God you help them by telling them stories from Ramayana or Maha barath. Or now a days you are getting many 'kadha kalachebam' cds MP3 or even VCDS and DVDS about our God. You can get them and put for your children. Dont say you are helpless. Please discuss with others about your problem.
    Strictly speaking this is not oonly your problem this is our National Problem. The future is in the hands of our children. Is it not?

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,

I understant and appreciate your concern. I am also a mother of two daughters aged 12 & 7. Luckily iam in a joint family where the kids have their granny telling all mythological stories and I also tell them the bedside stories of all gods etc because as a child I was a great fan of Amar Chitra Katha and have almost exhausted their collection.

But I do get them the CDs occassionally so that they can relate the stories and see the gods more near in flesh & blood. I always personally feel we should not fear God rather we should love him. Honestly my younger one loves Krishna and his pranks. After seeing the Cd she could literally see her loved one the - joy on her face nothing can match that. About Hanuman (the first casette) I have also fallen in love with the cute hanuman. Believe me kids are really happy to see the gods in their living room and they can relate to them anywhere and not only in temples/puja room.

Maybe as parents we should tell them and explain to them what is real and what is fiction while watching the cds.

9. Kaushrajan

Kaushrajan New IL'ite

hi,
    Thanks for the topic. TOday when we are living far away from parents are grandparents and we have less time on hand to give wholesome guidance to children we many a times rely on CDs. I can realise this as i now live in a place when we cannot go out and buy Amar CHitra Katha or Panchatantra books easily but have to make a list of important things to buy when in India.
    Having grandparents around is a boon to children as kids and us also get a lot of support and guidance.
    Its very important to give the right kind of guidance to children. The sooner we start on this the better as i understand that the first three years of a child is much more flexible than clay..i should say wet cement. Doctors say that the childs right side of the brain develops during the first couple of years...so the more we expose them to the right things in the first few years of their llife..the better will their life shape up. (the right side of the brain controls all our sub-conscious activities - things that we can do without thinking twice...like eating with right hand)
    All said and done...i hope we (my husband & me) can give something good for our little daughter.

Thanks...KRK (for Kaushalya Rajan Kumar)

10. krishnaamma

Hi lalitha,

as you side we have to guide our children which is real one and which is fiction. That is what I want parents to do. As Kaushalya said, when we are away form our mother land and the children are away from their grand parents we have to depend on CDs . no doubt in that. but the children should not get wrong stories or wrong impressions on our gods, that is my point. thanks for stepping in and sorryf or delay in reply.