1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Are we destined to do certain actions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Quebec,

Matha, Pitha, Guru, Theivam is the order that is suggested by learned people. You are right about fulfilling the wishes of the parents and no one can question it. You have given so many examples of the children fulfilling the wishes of the parents. In real life as well as in Puranas how many examples are available about parents doing anything and everything to fulfill the wishes of their children? How many parents do anything to make the life of the children better and to provide whatever they aspire for? What will parents do if the child seeks knowledge and Sanyasam? Can they say 'No' to it? Let us assume they say no and the child obliges them, then, the child fulfilled the wishes of the parents. But what about parents responsibility to give the child what they seek especially when someone is seeking knowledge or sanyasam? I know it is tough, but it is difficult to resist the passion that one comes into existence with.

Regarding your statement King does not become king by getting the throne and he becomes a king by how he leads his people. You are absolutely right. In my write up, I didn't imply that in order to become the head of Mutt, he relinquished his parental duty. He wanted to become a Sanyasi, pursue knowledge and when he was given the opportunity to head the Mutt, he used it to do a lot of good actions for the welfare of the people. What he did as long as he lived in physical form is history for anyone to read and understand.

I will never get offended by any response to my posts. After all, each person is entitled to his/her own opinion. Moreover, it gives me an opportunity to clarify what I was trying to communicate through my post.

I don't really understand your statement that for learning/teaching one moment is enough. I know that even a life time is not enough to learn/teach. Probably you mean we understand things in a moment when our mind is aligned with what we intend to learn.

Viswa

3 people like this.
  2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Viswa, for sharing this here. One of the true inspirators to anyone who has a quest for knowledge, he stayed simple and di many things extra-ordinary. He didn't do miracles, but that is not required. I read the book too and am too happy to get a glimpse of him though I was very young then.

His explanations are simple and to the point. His aspiration was one and only one. A strict disciplinarian who enforced it first to himself, he was revered by all. And the changes that he brought in the society through his simple advices are too many. Someday, I will try writing on something that I loved the most from his words. Right now, Maharajapuram Santhanam's thillanaa runs in my mind - "Kaliyugam thannil kaN kaNda dheivam kali theerkkum Kaanchi maamuniye!", you might have heard it. Don't you? Posting the link here: Maharajapuram Santhanam - Basanth Bahar Thillana - YouTube

-rgs

1 person likes this.
  3. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for your response...... Viswa

i meant that i do not concur with the thought that a person should leave his responsibility and then take another responsibility........

If you have to then take all the responsibility........ Or take none....

I am no one to comment on such a great sage...... A great scholar...

I am a normal person and have done many evils........

About the moment, yes that is what i meant.........
    A moment is enough.......
    For any person to learn from a great learned one...

About king statement.......

I meant that the person who is learned is king........
    No title decreases or increases his knowledge.........

About parents........

A mother risks her life everytime she gives birth... I dont remember where but i read it......

A father toils till the child becomes a man and is settled in life.......

If the father and mother forgo their responsibility and leave the child after giving him/her birth then how will the child take of itself.......

Thats what i wanted to say......

Thank you for your patience........

1 person likes this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    I fully agree with you. Destiny does play an important role in each one's life. Even if we try to use our free will and do certain things it won't succeed. Even in Lord Rama's life also destiny intervened. Dasaratha wanted to perform his beloved son's pattabishekam and the whole of Ayodhya was in celebrating mood. Ultimately what happened?
    Even when Lord Krishna departed from the world he was shot by an arrow by a hunter who mistook His foot for a bird. When he realized his blunder and beseeched the Lord for forgiveness, He told him that during Ramavathar he killed Vaali hiding behind a tree and for that he had to pay in His present avathar. During His avatharas on earth He wanted to show humans that once born as human, He was not an exception to fight with destiny even though he could do it.

Regarding Paramacharya's opting for sanyas without fulfilling his duties towards his parents, it also happened according to destiny. His parents had four more sons and a daughter also. As I have posted Acharya's life history in my blog, I was thrilled to watch the TV serial.

Aadhi Sankara was only child to his mother and yet he also took sanyas. Parents will feel blessed to see their offspring serving the whole humanity than taking care of them.

Politician like Kamaraj also preferred serving the downtrodden people. It doesn't mean they abandon their loved ones. Their concern and love to their near and dear ones could not be judged in minuscule.
    PS

3 people like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Viswa sir, so well written. Yes, these are questions that don,t have a foolproof answer. And the search continues, at least for people like me, trying to understand how far karma or free will, plays a part in our lives.

1 person likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear RGS,

He lead a very simple life and dedicated the entire life for the welfare of the people. He simplified Advaitha teaching to the level that everyone can understand. He practiced discipline in life knowing that the one who preaches should practice what he preaches.

I have a mixed emotion of happiness and sadness together whenever I think of him. The happiness is because I lived when such a great Saint lived on the face of this wonderful planet. My regret is when I had so much opportunities to interact with him when I was a young child, I didn't have the capacity to understand his discourses nor ability to take his blessings through meaningful conversations. I used to sit in the front row in West Mambalam Sankara Mutt when he camps and I was only interested in taking prasadam from him.

After I grew up, he lived in a village called "Kalavai" near Kanchipuram by which time he strictly practiced a lot of austerity and his devotees swelled in large numbers including international devotees. I could only see him at a distance.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Mrs. Srinivasan:

You are so right about the destiny. If he had obliged his parents, he would come back again to fulfill what he wanted to pursue again. Every Avatars lived like human when they came into existence to establish Sanatana Dharma and complied with the Karma that is applicable to normal human beings. Otherwise, why would Rama go through so much ordeal before establishing righteousness through war with Ravana? Even when Ravana got defeated in the war, he told him to go back and come again the next day.

Lord Krishna did everything possible through talks with Gauravas to convince them to give back the Asthinapuram Kingdom back to Dharma. Even he pleaded for a few villages but Gauravas refused. Then, as an Avatar, he completed his mission but still performed a role in the war as a chariot to Arjuna.

If Rama and Krishna wanted, they could have used their divine powers to destroy Ravana and Gaurava's kingdom in a heartbeat.

Adi Sankara assumed Sanyasam at a very young age and I agree with you that it is a blessing to the parents to get an opportunity to raise someone like Adi Sankara or Paramacharya.

These souls were born to teach right living to the people and guide them.

Viswa

8. Viswamitra

Dear Joylokhi,

Thank you for responding to this post. Inquiry to understand our purpose and what drives us in this birth is what everyone should do. All of us do that at some point of time. When we face suffering or happiness in life, our mind restricts ourselves to one life and keeps thinking what did I do to deserve it. We forget that what we face now is not necessarily because of what we did in this life.

There is no question the light inside us gives us freedom to determine the direction we want to go. When we choose right living, our Karma gets sanctified. We need to learn to do all our actions with best possible effort with heart and soul into it, do it lovingly with no hate for that action and do it selflessly without expecting the fruits of such actions. Every such action does not accumulate Karma and becomes an action performed for the Lord.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Quebec,

I understood your perspective and respect it.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. satchitananda

satchitananda Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

In direct reply to your question, yes, I do believe we are destined to do certain actions. Having said that, the power of decision making has been given to human kind to use to their best abilities. Karthrum shakyam, akarthrum shakyam, anyathaava karthrum shakyam. But whichever of these three possibilities we choose, I agree with Sabitha when she says even that decision is driven by our destiny. So often when something happens or we make that something happen, at a later point in the course of time other events happen that hark back to this action. So in that sense probably what is happening now was destined to happen and that is what made us take our earlier decisions. We are in a way pawns in the hands of destiny. (I am sorry if I sound totally muddled).

So, yes, if the Paramacharya was destined to do this, he would, no matter what happened. If not in this life time, he would have to take another life to fulfil his destiny.

As for the story involving his mother, there are no rights or wrongs in life - in some matters at least. Some events are so subjective, they cannot be reduced to a simple right or wrong. One can see the parents' point of view - they would naturally be pained at having to part with the son. The thought that he would no longer be just their son would be very painful and involve a feeling of loss. But they are after all human and this is certainly normal. I was wondering why God chose to send a child of this kind to parents who were probably not yet ready to accept that situation and then realized it might be an opportunity granted to the parents to learn the art of detached attachment. It was probably a step on the path of their spiritual growth as well.

Talking of the Paramacharya's destiny and his choosing to fulfil it, well he did what he had to do. Like every individual, he had a right to do whatever he felt he had to. He had his individual destiny to fulfil and he chose to do that.

1 person likes this.