1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are we destined to do certain actions

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I am sure many of you, if not all, are enjoy watching Mahangalum Adisayangalum show in Vijay TV telecast from Monday to Friday every week at 6 p.m. I am not a big fan of soaps in TV but now my evenings are filled with a show “Shivam” at 5:30 p.m., “Mahangalum Adisayangalum” at 6 p.m. followed by “Mahabharatham” at 7 p.m. In order to accommodate seeing these three wonderful serials, I start the day early and finish my Yoga class very early in the morning. As the Yoga class is getting intense day by day, I have moved my Pranayama to evening after 7:30 p.m. and had to push my dinner from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. But these three shows are worth making any adjustment in life.

For those who have seen all 10 episodes of Mahangalum Adisayangalum, what I am about to say might be boring and of no interest. This serial is about Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswati Swamigal also known as Paramacharya. Right from the time he was born as a child, there were signs of extraordinary happenings in the house such as, the child crying nonstop until help reaches a cow that is strangulated in a rope, an astrologer predicting that he would not be at home and was born to teach right living to millions of people, etc. They passionately named him Swaminathan and his mother was very nervous throughout his childhood as he was showing unconditional love to total strangers and learned and repeated Vedic chants in a heartbeat. One day, the head of Kanchi Kamakodi Peedam visited their house and he was able to identify that Swaminathan was truly divine and would be a great successor for him.

The parents keep resisting the child’s natural interest to learn Veda and go to Kanchi mutt. Instead, they decide to put him in a convent. He obliged his parents and showered a lot of love to his parents. He kept promising them that he would never leave them under any circumstances to alleviate the fear of his mother that one day he would become a Sanyasi. One day, he left for Kanchi Mutt without telling his parents and the head of Kanchi Mutt asked him to stay in the Mutt for 4 days. The parents kept looking for him all over and finally the Mutt sent information that Swaminathan was safe in the Mutt. 4 days later, the Mutt sent him in a Palanquin and that scared the parents so much. The mother again took a promise from the child that he would never be away from the mother.

Finally, the Head of Kanchi Mutt reached the Lotus Feet of the Lord and the Mutt appointed Swaminathan’s cousin as the successor. However, a message was sent asking Swaminathan to come to the Mutt immediately. Knowing a successor was already appointed, the mother decided to take Swaminathan to Kanchi. The circumstances divide mother and son in two separate carts and Swaminathan reached Kanchi much earlier. He was shocked when he reached Kanchi that both head of Mutt and the successor (i.e. his cousin) reached the Lotus Feet of the Lord. Everyone in the Mutt told Swaminathan that he had to guide the people and take responsibility of the Mutt. After much thought, he decided to take the responsibility.

Finally, the parents reach Kanchi Mutt and asked for him. He allowed his parents to come in. His mother cried and asked about his promise. Finally, he asked a question back to her, “If you get a life like me, would you like to please one mother or many mothers?” The parents quietly fall at his feet and leave without any further questions.

Every one of us who watched the program at home was in tears and entered into a serious Satsang whether the decision taken was right or not. Both my wife and her mother strongly argued that the parents were the ones who were wronged (especially his mother). I understand the pain the parents went through.

However, it is my humble opinion, every life is wired to do certain acts and in the absence of the knowledge of each person’s prior lives, there is no way we can come to the conclusion which is right or wrong. If Swaminathan was forced to stay back at home, the world would have lost one of the greatest teachers of 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century. Moreover, he had to take another birth to fulfill his obligations. The parents of Swaminathan should be proud that they were blessed to raise a child that came into existence to teach Advaitham to the world. I have written about free will earlier and I repeat it again. The only free will the body, mind and intellect have is whether to pursue the permanent and real Truth or pursue the transient and unreal worldly pleasure. Within this broad category, one can claim their actions as free will of each individual person. We are like a cow tied in a pole with our Karmas and we can only move around within a certain radius. Not a blade of grass moves without the Will of the Lord.

At present I am reading “Theivathin Kural” the teachings of Paramacharya and I am able to understand what the world would have lost if he were to decide to pursue the worldly life instead of becoming a Sanyasi.

This forum is full of young ladies, mothers and grandmothers and I leave the judgment to them.

11 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

You are correct.He is destined to take up Sanyasa and we are blessed to have a great Guru.
    Mother's feelings emotions are easily understandable.We can't blame her also.The fear and agony will be more when are expecting an undesirable thing to happen and try to prevent the same as earnestly as possible. Once the unavoidable thing happens, within days or even within hrs, the mother will reconcile herself to the new situation.
    That is motherhood.
    If everyone is lamenting for the death and other evil things( felt to be evil) the world
    will be full of cries.Sleep and forgetfulness are two main blessings to human beings , that make them restore normalcy as early as possible.
    Jayasala42

3 people like this.
  3. jasmine25

jasmine25 Gold IL'ite

Dear Viswa sir,
    My DH is a die-hard fan of Shivam serial..to tell the truth initially I did not had the patience to watch rather I preferred to watch some useless serials, side by side I cursed them too..my DH did not compel me but he was watching this serial even in his hectic schedules..I happened to watch once along with him..i was completely blown away and i watch shivam, mahabaratham with a great respect and value..
    i am yet to watch Mahangalum Adisayangalum...Will do it right away..i remember watching the story of sri raghavendra swamigal in vijay tv two years back..it was such a bliss and teared me up in certain episodes..
    Now coming to Q : a tricky situation, handling emotions is a toughest of the toughest task..i could neither blame the mother nor the son...Its a mother's perspective, it is inexplicable and at the same time he is destined to take up sanyasa...We would have miserably lost a great guru if he had not chosen his path to sanyasa..

An intense question which made his parents mum and accept his righteous path..
    Finally, he asked a question back to her, “If you get a life like me, would you like to please one mother or many mothers?” The parents quietly fall at his feet and leave without any further questions.

As i read i became emotional too and could feel the feelings of his mother...But at the same time his parents must be proud to have given birth to such a divine soul..

2 people like this.
  4. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir, As your title says, it's his destiny, even if he would have listened to his mother and went back home, again one day here at the mutt or somewhere he will be doing his actions what was decided for him.

Remember Adi Sankara story, One day while bathing in the river, a crocodile got hold of Sankara’s legs and started pulling him deeper into the river. The young Sankara cried out for help, but his mother, Aryamba could not help him. As the crocodile dragged him further into the river, Sankara it is told, begged his mother to permit him accept Sannyasa so that his soul could be saved. Although on a number of earlier occasions his mother had refused him permission, seeing the tragedy in front of her, Aryamba sadly relented. It is said that with Sankara’s prayer to the Lord that he had renounced everything, the crocodile left its hold on him mysteriously. He then left Kalady in search of a teacher.

2 people like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Jayasala,

Thank you for your first response to this post. She used to dream him as Sanyasai and later used to describe those dreams as "bad dreams" to her son. I can clearly understand the state of mind in which she lived until he actually became a Sanyasi. For that matter, she refuses to leave Swaminathan even for a second out of her sight. In a particular scene, an astrologer was called in to predict Swaminathan's future. After reviewing his horoscope, the astrologer calls in for a plate and water and washed Swaminathan's feet and kept it in his head stating that he was born to rule the world. Such scenes were very emotional and touching.

When Paramacharya ask that question to his mother, she cried with no answer but his father quickly realized the inevitable. He saw his son's posture with his hands raised to bless the couple. Then, both of them take his blessings and leave.

It is easier for the soul which is born to serve others to get out of bondage of the parents than the parents themselves. Thought that they have to be visiting him just like any other devotee in future would cause some pain. As you said rightly, after sometime, thought of raising a great Guru will overcome the emotion to let the son go. The time is a great healer and I am sure more and more people would have reminded the couple how blessed they were to raise a child like that.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Jasmine,

I am so glad to hear your husband is a great fan of Shivam serial and you both watch Shivam and Mahabharatham together. Please make sometime to watch this show as well. Only last Friday, he took charge of the Mutt and there is so much to happen from now on. I am sure you will enjoy the show.

The serial showed how hard it was for even the son to snap out of the bond. When everyone is falling at his feet asking him to take charge, he was wondering how he was qualified and how he could leave his parents to take this great mission. Then, he was able to recall all happenings from his childhood including the Head of the Mutt telling him that he would return when the time is right. Then, he assumes the responsibility.

We were all in tears to see the mother begging and crying to see her son outside of the Mutt and finally, when she confronts him about his promise to be with her always, he quietly responds, "Are you going to forget me when you walk away from here, mother? Therefore, I will always be with you." When she refuses to accept that finally he asks, "If I get a life, do I try to satisfy one mother or many mothers?" His mother being such a wonderful soul could not answer that question with selfishness.

There is no question in mind she was a very blessed soul.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Vjan,

You are absolutely right. There is no escape from what we are destined to do.

I am not sure whether you have seen the Sanskrit movie about Adi Sankara that is available online and if you have not seen it already, you should watch it. It has subtitles in English for someone like me who is not well versed in Sanskrit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOjMy7pa-4

Viswa

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Viswa sir,

this snippet certainly made an interesting read. I am not a follower of any of the serials for obvious reasons and so reading about Kanchi acharya was interesting to me. Personally I enjoyed reading about the then Paramacharya in Paul Brunton's book.

That said, it seems to me that in the cases of these great souls, the destiny seems more obvious than us normal beings and no matter what, what is destined seems to happen and is visible more glaringly though the same thing happens to us. Looked that way, I am sure it is easy to understand the mother's reaction and I know no one ever said she could have been more accepting. Perhaps the mother reacting that way teaches us more than less.

So to your question, I do agree that perhaps we are tied to destiny. If we bring about a change perhaps that is destiny too. I know a few meditators whose only goal is to reach salvation or enlightenment and then there are a few like me who understand all that yet are not as strongly drawn to practice. May be that is why people say that the time is not ripe...that time ripening may happen in a few days or years or births depending on your destiny. But I cannot help believe that we do have some freedom in choosing our paths though. That possibility seems very appealing and perhaps that is the radius you are speaking of with in which the tied cow can go around. Sitting down with our hands tied down as destiny is only possible only after having tried, else we have the urge to continue to want to appear as the directors of our own lives. A very dear uncle of mine once told me that the right hand is what we come with and the left is what we make of it (in terms of palmistry). Perhaps this allows us in a way to create our own future destiny, implying births in future. And sir both you and I know how complicated this whole karma theory is and how interlinked we all are. Just this morning I was thinking of my dad who always said "RUNanubandha RUpeNa Pashu Patni SutAlayAha"! As we go through this runanubandha, burning and creating more perhaps there is some hope for our souls to function at a very selfish (in a good way) goal oriented single minded path to that ultimate goal. I cannot help but feel that is the ultimate goal and how and when we reach is just subjective.

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.

PS: After posting realized how long the response is :hide:

3 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

Thank you for your response to this post. Perhaps, Paramacharya came into existence in that life to serve people with passion and teach them Advaita and he would have done it whatever manner it was possible. When that passion overwhelmed him, the opportunities aligned for him to perform the action he always wanted to do. In the absence of knowledge of his prior life, it is impossible to predict what resulted in him assuming that role at such a young age without waiting any further. For that matter, Adi Sankara assumed the role of Sanyasi even earlier.

Regarding mother, you are absolutely right. Any mother would do everything to keep her son with her. In this serial, she is a very righteous person serving her family with unconditional love and also worship the Lord for being so blessed in her life. Her reactions are understandable and that is why we all were with wet eyes after seeing last Friday's episode. Why can convince her to let it go other than her own son who was one of the greatest soul that walked this planet?

I have no doubts in my mind that we do have free will to choose how to conduct our lives. No scriptures are suggesting that life should be led reconciling to the fate that is predetermined with no actions carried out in life. Everyone of us are here only to do actions. But depending on what actions we had performed in the past, we are either burdened or blessed to do certain actions. In the absence of our ability to look back or look forward the prior and future lives, without which the complete picture of our Papa/Punya account won't be visible, the only thing we can do is to do good karma as part of right living. That is why I said we have choice to make to pursue the Self inside of us or the worldly pleasures. They are not mutually exclusive and there is no way one can pursue only Self not worldly pleasure unless we have transformed and made substantial progress in our series of journey. Besides, we have to perform the duties in each life for our kith and kin besides pursuing good actions to the outside world. The options that are in front of us is to pursue worldly pleasure, delve in bondage and continue our journey for a long period of time or to pursue right living, practice equanimity, detachment and ceiling on desires (moderation of desires) to reduce our time of the journey. But we have to remember that the Self inside of us is always Blissful and will attempt to shrug off the encryption in the form of Karma to set itself free. In my humble opinion, that is the premises for everyone pursuing happiness in life. The question we have to ponder is do we want to look for happiness outside of us or access the inherent Bliss that resides inside us.

In simple terms, I gave that example of cow tied to the pole example only to express my view that we have encryption in the form of Karma and will have to face the consequences of our past actions. We need to gracefully accept them and make progress within the parameters with ultimate goal in mind. For example, if a person dies thinking about how he suffered in life because of lack of money, she is going to come back to pursue a lot of money. It is difficult for her to resist that passion but she could pursue it and use it for good causes.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Mother and father come first.....

Then god.......

Then this world....

We can see the example of all the gods.....
    Parents wish was supreme to them......

Ram is said to be maryada purshotam.......

Follower of all maryada's.....
    Best of all the men......

He followed his parents wish......

Ganesha and kartikey raced the universe.........

Ganesha who is known as the most wise and knowledgeable just went around his parents shiva and parvati.........

When asked why......

He said because you two are my universe.........

Hanuman was one of the greatest bhakts of Ram......

But when his mother gave a king a wish that he would be protected.... Hanuman went ahead and protected the king and still his bhakti was such that the ram baan also showered petals on him.........

So i believe that our first duty is to our parents.... We have only a part of our life with them......

And as far as teaching and learning goes.......

To teach or learn one moment is enough...

If not then one lifetime is not enough also........

And maybe i am wrong but a king does not become a king by sitting on a throne......

A king is a king by the way he leads his men.........

I apologise if anyone is offended.... Only intention was to reply to the thread.....

4 people like this.