1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

are these reasons enough for a divorce?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by bemusedme, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bemusedme

bemusedme New IL'ite

I have been again contemplating this for the last couple of days and this feeling comes and goes all the time. Let me start with some background and then my reasons. Please bear with me as its a long post.

I have been married for 2 years. I was in India and came to US to join my husband after marriage (the whole marriage episode was a big drama after which it became clear that my husband can not stand up to his father).

After 3 days of court marriage, he asked for a divorce. I was shocked, didnt understand whats going on and said no (I always believe unless you try how do you know if it will work out or not). But in the first 10 days of marriage he had asked thrice about the divorce (we were in different countries and the next planned step was Hindu marriage). For some stupid reason, I was adamant on NO (my family tried to put some sense in me since the guy is asking for D w/o even starting the relation but I was being dumb and then they gave in). Eventually after a lot of struggle (when I got fed up with all the drama, I said NO and stopped all communication with him after which he came running and convinced me to join him in US), I joined him in US but the first year was a hell. There were 2 times that my husband hit me and the 2nd time, i threatened him with 911 and almost left the country but then he begged me to stay, went with me to the counselor and stuff. So things cooled down from then onwards but somethings still remain.

1. My husband can very easily lie to me (esp. if its about his family or something that he does not want to talk about) and he is also capable of doing things behind my back. I recently found out that last year he transferred few thousand bucks to India. Earlier this year he set up a recurring transfer to his Indian account (with joint custody with FIL) and he never told me about it until I saw it in the statement. When I asked him about it after a couple of months, he had a simple excuse "I forgot to tell you". We dont share an account yet and both of us are earning so I dont bother about what he does. I dont know if its four our future or if he is sending money to his parents. I dont mind sending money or helping them but there have been a lot of instances related to his family, which has escalated into big fights and lies. That is one of the BIGGEST reason of our fights. The sad thing is he says he wishes us to be one big happy family and when I try genuinely, he doesnt support me enough.

2. He is short tempered. At least once in 3 months there is a BIG blow up in the house, where he will keep on shouting for hours, bringing past things in the fight (before marriage I had told him about my past relation) and shutting up by saying that he has given 100%, he cant do more and that we shud get a Divorce. I get very very scared, feel helpless and I have never experienced this before but I shout back so that he doesnt feel that I am scared of him and that he can trample over me. Also, I was just after college when I dated the guy and did things which I should not have done but that doesn't give my husband any rights to judge me or criticize me.

3. My husband is very attached to his father and sister. Like a timetable,, he has to speak to them everyday and report everything. I told him initially that I don't understand this behavior and I am not comfortable with this. Well, he started changing himself but after our last fight he says he doesn't like this change in him and that he is going to start reporting everything to his family again!!

4. My MIL has no say in any discussion. FIL is the GOD of the house, he has never ill-treated me and treats me like a daughter (though he has bad mouthed my father before marriage) however after our latest fight and while I was trying to calm him down he said something which makes me think he wanted somebody like MIL.

5. He has double standards when it comes to me and his family. For e.g. On our anniversary this year, I said this is the best day to talk about the things we like in our marriage, we dont like, how happy we are with each other and just simple heart to heart talk. We were at a fine restaurant in a city where we had gone to celebrate the anniv., his mind just went off. We quickly finished the dinner, stepped out of the restaurant and all the way from the restaurant to our hotel, he kept on shouting at me and said he doesnt believe in such annual evaluations. I said sorry next day to patch up.
    Now, few days back it was his Birthday and he sent out a mail to his father, sister and brother saying that he doesnt thank them enough and on his Birthday he would like to acknowledge them and thank them. He mentioned my name also in that thank you note but he did not send me the mail. I had looked at that mail on his computer and next day very casually said lets have some heart to heart talk and that is when he repeated the contents of the mail and told that he has sent his family this mail. I dont understand why I was not a part of this mail to "family" and secondly when its about his family he contemplates, but when its about us he fights with me if I ask him to contemplate. Shouldn't this come naturally to a married person?

Having said all of the above, there is a good side of him as well. He takes care of me, supports me in my career, motivates me to study further, appreciates me, he is lazy and doesnt like doing household chores but sometimes makes an effort to do. (Though if I shout at him about it, he can never take it silently and ends up in a big blow up, so now I try to avoid it but not 100% successful in that yet). On day-to-day basis and between just the 2 of us, there are not many problems and we are working on improving things but its like 2 steps forward and 1 step back every few months.

Also, we have very different expectations from marriage. I wanted a person who can cherish the marriage, the companionship and who is my friend. My husband doesnt believe in all these things. He is married just because everybody does and next obvious thing for him is to have a child irrespective of our fights and a trust less marriage.In the past 2 years, I have heard the D word atleast 20 times and initially he used to ask me to just leave the house and get out irrespective of the time of the day. (I never did that and told him I would rather leave the country than succumb to such an immature behavior). I think now he doesnt hit me when he is angry is because he knows that I will call 911 but if he is simply shouting, I cant do anything about it.

We had a fight couple of days back, we were in the middle of an important discussion, his sister called in between and by the time we could answer, it got over. So he wanted to call her right away, I told him to wait till we finish our discussion, which agitated him. Started shouting at me and went ahead with the call. After he finished the call, the drama continued.

And so for the past few days I have been thinking if this is how I want to live probably next 30 years of my life? I know I dont want to but on the other hand I think marriage is a lot of hard work and patience. I am sure there are a lot of shortcomings in me and probably I dont understand him which leads to fights. But I dont want to keep getting into this situation every few months and what will happen once we have a child? He says a child can bring a difference in our relation (his thought process is like an elderly person where in the earlier generation it was believed that a child can save a marriage) There is no guarantee that he will stop, what will I do in that case?

I dont know what should I do? I just dont want to have that helpless feeling ever again. Appreciate your views / suggestions.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

First and foremost ,he raised in men dominated family.So He no way can understand how to repect women and how to make equal partner in a relasion.For him it may be long way to understand the partner and give respect and love.
    It's really upto you,you want have journey with him or not.
    I don't know about in india but in US,you can get divorce even for any reason.
    Tell him that if you want divorce,may be he will put effort to make the relation work.You both have two end edges of personality.For normal indain women standard,you are a very strong women and you express whatever comes on top of your head.Your husband is raised in a family where women have no voice of openion.
    You can live your life upto your expecations and go for it.He may change for good if he wanted to make it work.

Somethings were not clear,your marraige,how long have you know him before the marraige.It doesn't appear to me that it's a arranged marraige.
    Finances:Do you both have joint account or both of you maintain have seperate account?

I feel some times you suffocate.By 3 years you should know his personality.After knowing his personality why do you want to suffocate with your style of handling things like renewing the relation and all those.Most of 50% indian men not ready for accepting the mistake and renewing the relation and have a heart to heart to talk.

I really can't say it's one side story here.He might have done mistakes but as a women,since you are independent you also dominating the marraige and other person.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. Umlaut

Umlaut Silver IL'ite

Didn't it occur to you, that something was amiss, when he kept asking for a divorce 3 days after marriage? Did you ever ask him why?

4. bemusedme

bemusedme New IL'ite

Thanks for your quick responses.

He asked me for divorce after 3 days because we had exchanged rings (as per his wish) and had given a dinner party to my friends and sister's family (because we got married in the city where I lived. I had friends in that city and my sister also lived in the same city). When FIL saw the video he went totally silent and got offended that how could we do all this without his permission and more importantly how could my sister let this happen. Later I gathered that my husband did not have courage to stand up to his father and let him know that these were his thoughts and ideas and my family had nothing to do in it.

For my family it was no big deal, we were doing things the way we wanted and it was our decision. But his father's reaction was completely opposite and said we have done the whole marriage and got angry with him. My husband got scared and thought the best way out is to get a divorce (probably to pacify his father). I thought this was a very silly reason for divorce (Now if I look back there were signals for trouble all over the place but I dont why I felt very strong about us and wanted to give this marriage a fair chance).

I repent that decision sometimes now and thats what is bothering me lately. If I dont do something about it life will just pass me by and one fine day I will wake up with a lot of regrets and a miserable life with no way to get out.

Also, until now during BIG fights he just used to say he doesnt know what to do ahead and to him D is the best option. But during the latest blow up he actually went ahead and called a D lawyer. It was shattering, my whole faith in him get shaken again and again. It doesn't matter then if he comes after 2 hours and says sorry, why does he do such harsh acts in the first place? I have explained this to him calmly and also during fights but no change.

5. bemusedme

bemusedme New IL'ite

MIL is a non-interfering lady who gives a lot of freedom. FIL also doesn't interfere as such but he likes to be updated about every small and big thing going on the lives of all children.

MIL is submissive but SIL is quite strong and he respects and loves her a lot. So I am not sure if its about a men dominated family. But that is for sure this his FOO is The Family and FIL once told me last year with pride that he raised his kids in such a way that even when they were small, if he asked them to sit in a place for hours, they would do so and not budge an inch !! (I actually felt like asking were you training dogs, but held my tongue back...)

My husband is very close to SIL and I have seen that SIL is quite tactful with her husband. As far as I have gathered she doesn't really share a very open and mutual relation with her husband. And this is what my husband does with me.

6. SHS

SHS Bronze IL'ite

Dear friend

After reading your post honestly i felt you are also at fault.We cant suggest him anything but can suggest you.hopefully you wont take it as criticism
    1.Can you explain why did he ask for divorce within 10 days ??was it because of marriage day drama or because u werent ready for hindu wedding ceremony ??honestly if that was the reason it was your fault.We all can do such small things to make other person.I feel problem is you both didnt make a right beginning thats very essential.You both spoilt it from first day.
    2.He came running to convince you.whats the need to be so adamant in life especially in relationships ??
    3.He lies to you and u guys dont share joint account.You both dont trust each other so this is indeed not a surprise.
    4.You say he is short tempered.are you not ??
    5.He has double standards for you and his family.Its a very common problem.Not a reason to divorce.
    6.You had dreams about your marriage n they failed as he thinks everyone gets married.right ?But tell me dont we put efforts or work hard to achieve our dreams??What did you do to fulfill this dream??marriage became just a ritual for him as it didnt touch his heart.
    7.There was no need to share your past with him.We agree its not a big issue but cant we be little diplomatic n tactful in life??But even then he accepted you right ??
    8.He wants a child that means he isnt that hopeless regarding this marriage but you definitely are.
    9.He hit you ITS NOT ACCEPTABLE I AGREE
    10.Now most imp.you say he cares for you,supports you in career,does household work once in a while then your in laws are quite ok.

I dont think these are enough reasons for divorce.HONESTLY This post sent clear a message that you still can save your marriage.ALL I CAN SEE HERE IS HOPE AND LOTS OF HOPE.Pls give your 100% to your relationship.If you think you can walk out n get married then also you will have to give your 100% that i honestly think you are not.For any relationship to grow we need some love respect and care.and few adjustments here n there.Dont we do it for our parents then why not try for your husband ??You know its very easy to say DIVORCE But you dont deserve DIVORCE.
    I would love to hear from you.Sorry if i hurt you.

Would love to see you happily married
    Stuti

7. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Bemused, given that you said that he takes care of you and encourages you and has generally good feelings for you, I have the following advice: Try to avoid any situations that would cause a flare up between you both.

Parents are living miles away in India from you both, why do you let issues related to them to mar your relationship? Can't you just give him some space and let him be whatever he wants to be with his father and sister? Why do you need to compare your relationship with what he shares with his parents? Can't you keep both of them separate?

I find that your PIL are not much bothering you after marriage. It is only the relationship that your DH shares with them that is bothering you. Now you need to question yourself, why? Why do you need to compare the close relationship that you share with your DH with someone who can only talk to on a phone. Can't you just leave them and be concerned about what goes on between you and your DH.

Your DH giving money to your parents should not bother you so far as that is within reasonable limits and not affecting your own life style or your savings. You should not keep a tab on him if he is not spending big amounts on his family. You should leave him some personal space there. You are unnecessarily analyzing too much into his relationship with his family. You should leave that as HIS personal space.

You should not bring incidents from your past life into present. You told him before marriage and that is very nice and correct of you to do so. If he brings that topic again and again, you really need to tell him to take a hike. Be calm and but firm. But then at one point you need to decide for yourself that if you can continue with his attitude of using past incidents to hurt you perpetually.

8. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Visu2k.

Please think 2 or 3 times your actions and also take sometime to talk back and understand his side of situation too.
    Can you write down somewhere that how is that starting and who is trying to control the things more.Does he interfear with yur business like with your sisters or with your money?

9. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

I think, we cannot deal her issues in piecemeal manner and assign faults to either her or husband in turns. I find all her issues to be interrelated and also there is hate-hurt cycle that is being continually fed both from her and her husbands side. Someone has to break it, keep calm and compromise for a while and give peace and happiness a chance. Now the OP says, every 3 months or so her husband blows up, shouts and brings all issues from the past. What is the trigger for this? Does he just get into such frustration just like that? Either it is an immediate incident that makes him blow off or a pent up frustration from past incidents piling up. He is just taking his own frustration like she too does on him. Someone has to stop it.

I really think, that if she doesn't get too much interfering his personal space then he too will show the love and attention that she so much wants from him. And if such an atmosphere continues for a while, then they can definitely can reclaim the closeness that they once shared.

10. SHS

SHS Bronze IL'ite