1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any denials?? - Sympathising with filmi emotions ???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jayashree Natarajan, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Jayashree Natarajan

Jayashree Natarajan New IL'ite

The obvious question is, Why do we get so emotionally involved while watching a film? Most of us would have undergone this phase of connection and the impact is mysterious.

This is a question to be really analysed. While watching a film, our inner minds agree and console us that this is only a movie and it is an escape from reality for two hours. But, still our emotions conquer and we tend
    to shed a tear or two or feel bad for a particular character. Most of these emotions are inborn which only needs some impetus to come out.

This thought entered my mind while I was watching the malayalam movie 'Mambazhakaalam' of Mohanlal and Shobhana. I enjoyed the laughter and smile in everyone's face when Mohanlal returns from Abudhabi and showers his family with gifts and what not. But, as the film was nearing its climax, especially when he speaks about the hardships and the solitude of the life in the Gulf which he had faced just to make his family comfortable, my eyes were wet. It was beyond my control then on. I became a sympathiser of Mohanlal as well as Shobhana and became a part of their family. Does this happen with everyone?

After me and my husband watched 'A Wednesday', as a matter of fact, related ourselves to the common man and also reasoned out his mind swing. Gone are the days of hero and heroines running around the trees, most of the movies of today either relive any major event taken place or relate daily life of the common man and his problems.

There are also some movies where the core story keeps on revolving in our minds even after a long span. "Karnan", the Tamil movie with actor Sivaji Ganesan in the lead role had created a new perception of Karnan in the minds of viewers. No one can deny being emotional after watching the tamil film 'Abhiyum Naanum'.

We keep relating our family to the story and worry about the climax. The mood after a movie can be either a sense of joy or a severe headache. After watching a horror movie, no one can deny of unheard sounds or scary shadows later.

I am sure most of you would want to agree with me on the above and please do not have reservations to accept that you were emotional at least once in your lifetime watching a good movie.

'A good film is when the price of the
    dinner, the theatre admission and the
    babysitter were worth it.' -Alfred Hitchcock

2. blissfulangel

blissfulangel New IL'ite

Hi

I do agree to what u said that movies do take a lot of emotional involvement from the viewer. It all depends on the direction of the movie whatever genre it is.. the more realistic and natural u can make the more u feel connected to the story.

As u said those day are gone when u have typical masala movies where u can predict the entire story even before watching the movie..These days they come up with a lot of issues pertaining to contemporary scenareios making it look real..which makes a common man relate to the story as well..

There is no denial that we unknowingly get absorbed in the story that we are unaware most of the time about the emotions we are in be it laughter tears or anger that instill in us during the time we are engrossed in the movie!..it may not b just that..the mood may prevail for another hour or so depending on the genre of movie u watched..if its a tearjerker u will feel that sadness or lack of energy atleast for a while...when I say tarjerker the movie that comes to my mind is Aakashadooth where you can see other viewers literaaly weeping there !
    if its a horror movie..u tend to supect there is someone out there or hears unheard sounds !! if its a romantic comedy movie..perhaps u can expect urself to be in a fun mood!! there is no doubt about that..
    I guess now a days thats why most of the movies they come up with have happy endings unlike before because thats what the audience want to see. They want a happy ending at the end of the day!
    so i guess in my opinion there is no denial about the fact that we do feel the emotions when we watch the movie though we know its just a movie after all..!
    and we are eager to watch one just to experience that emotional rollercoaster...!!!

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

I am greatly attached to the films I see, I laugh with all my heart out, weep when a tragedy occurs and my eyes are wet at a senti scene. Sometimes I can’t help informing the hero of the film about what the villain’s plans are for him, at that moment I wanna be the hero’s aid at any cost though in reality it is not possible J but I love having an emotional attachment to the films, sometimes I keep wondering what would have happened to these characters after ‘The End’. ‘Golmal returns’ , APKGK, 2Harihar Nagar etc are a few movies I saw rolling on floor laughing where as ‘Achuvinthey amma’, ‘Akashadoothu’ etc are some which left my hanky soaked in tears. I love watching any kind of movie but would like it better I I have a group of friends with me who share the same rapport.
    PS: But I don’t agree that days of a typical masala movie is bygone, what with all Rajani, Vijay and so and so movies. Also yester years had very good family movies though not much related to day to day problem. But then terror and bomb blasts were not words which were much familiar to us as those are now a days.

4. senzzation

senzzation New IL'ite

One of my friends used to cry buckets every time she saw Amitabh Bachchan dying in Sholay. Although I am an AB fan too, that never touched me as much as the dialogues in Anand and more recently, Taare Zameen Par. I think that altho' we know that it's a movie, unconsciously we relate it to some incident in our own lives & that's what touches us at the core. Whenever I feel down, I watch the DVD of Roman Holiday or My Fair Lady & it sure does pick me up. :) Nice post.