Are muslims being discriminated against?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Roopali, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Roopali

Roopali New IL'ite

The racial profiling of a known and highly respected Muslim Shahrukh Khan, has raised the issue of Muslims being subjected to undue hostility in the world. They get singled out in the airport lines, don't get visas and are taken away by FBI for no apparent reasons.

Do you think all this is right? Should such religious profiling be allowed in the name of security?

2. asma747

asma747 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am also a muslim and I got America and Canadian visa. I went there
    and I didn't face any discrimination. The immigration people treated us like others.
    It came in the newspaper that Shahrukh had lost his baggage,
    God knows the fact.

Asma

3. shravanicool

shravanicool Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I do not think that Muslims are not treated well in US or India. Many of my Muslims friends are working in very reputed companies in both US and Canada.

I feel celebrities should be responsible and not promote such things as it influences the mindset of the youngsters.

Jai Hind,
    Shravanicool

4. kk2009

kk2009 New IL'ite

I am a muslim and I can tell you as an experience that Muslims are treated differently in Western countries, especially in US. My husband is trying to get US Visa as he has landed a job there. But since, the company he has got the job is also run by an Indian Muslim, they are not giving him Visa. They don't actually say that, but its obvious as most people who go there on an American citizen's sponsorship, get visa in no time. :rant

5. jaisreer

jaisreer New IL'ite

I think Muslims go out of their way to show they are Muslims that gets them into trouble. I am not comfortable with any one who go out of the way to publicize their religion.

6. geeta2009

geeta2009 New IL'ite

Asma,

His bags were lost, but so we 20 others. But only he was the one stopped. All of the others were let go. He was even ok with that, but they said that they will only let him go after his bags had arrived which would have taken at least 6-7 hours and he had commitments. that's why he called for help.

Do you think President Abdul Kalam and Shahrukh would have acted too much as muslims??? I don't think so....

7. jaisreer

jaisreer New IL'ite

When we go to S.A. they take our passports. They hold it until we leave. That is unfair too. Lots of girls died in a school fire as the religions police would not let these girls out, because they did not have burkah on. It is atrocity too. No one seem to object any of those because it is not fashionable to criticize Islam. There is no reason to wear hijab or burkha in Chicago ,London or Paris. They go and draw undue attention to them self. One must understand people are afraid of musims. Some how mass bombing is connected to them world over. Authories think one wrong detainee is alright then 300 innocent dead. This actor whoever he is comes under that one category. I bet Abudal kalam understands fear of people very well as he held the biggest office in India.

8. AakritiM65

AakritiM65 New IL'ite

Jaisreer,

I think you are mixing a number of issues into one. I know that some people are using Islam's name to create terrorism in the world. But it is extremely wrong to target each and every muslim person in the world.

Nobody is asking them to stop frisking or checking people coming into their country. They have full right to choose who they want to give Visa to and who they think should not come in their country.

But once you have given the Visa to a person, they should try to trust their own people and not treat passengers like criminals on US airport. Shahrukh didn't go their hiding in a trunk. He went their with visa and complete papers. So, did President Abdul Kalam.... :rant

9. jaisreer

jaisreer New IL'ite

I can understand the embrassment of a muslim when they are frisked or singled out yet,how can one forget 9/11 attract and many involved with it were citizens of US. Men who attached UK airport were UK citizen. One thing has nothing to do with the other. I have lots of Muslim friends who in their heart of heart has only sympathy with the terrorist then the victims. I have had many arguments with them about it. I have also seen many muslims who have lived in Bangalore all their life support Pakistan and think it is alright for Pakistanis to terrorize India. I personally feel citizenship has nothing to do with one"s core feelings.

10. Sonya4mdelhi

Sonya4mdelhi Senior IL'ite

Post 9/11, America has slipped into a mass-hysteria of sorts. They think that every muslim in the world is out to get them, when in fact, the truth is the exact opposite. Its the American who are a out to get every muslim in the world. If a person who used to be the President of biggest democracy in the world is under their radar, then we mere mortals are on our own. :hide: