Are Indians in Western countries Thrifty and Smart or just Cheap and Misers?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Decentguy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Sorry for the detour I can delete all my posts!

2. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Correct translation is " Come Bull, Me Hit" :rotfl

Just like " Bolun chalun shivaji raja hota" ( Walking talking Shivaji was a King) :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  3. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Not because of you Arch or anyone else for that matter. No worries. I loved all the funny posts. No harm in being little funny otherwise IL will just be boring..

By the way I wanted to ask you - What is your display pic? Is it a movie poster or something?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

There is one more " apne pair pe kulhadi maarna" ( Hit your leg with an axe)

In my case I did the other way around. I jumped on the kulhadi ( axe) :rotfl

1 person likes this.
  5. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Lets not blame Indians only. Nowadays, frugal is the new smart. I've seen American do extreme couponing, more than Indians do. I've personally helped my grown-up-in-Texas American neighbor cut out the coupons that comes with daily flyers. I've seen women (both Caucasians & Afro-Americans) bargaining for 25 cents in Garage sales. I've seen garage sales in big bungalows selling stuffs like combs with one or two broken teeth for 10-25 cents. When we had put our things for sale on craigslist, almost everything was bought by, you know, 'yaha ke log'. They came in their big dodge caravans, but bought our donno-how-many-hands-old dinning table.

I can understand it when Indians who have come here on temporary work visas do it. Their lives are really unpredictable. Sometimes, they are sent back to India within a fortnight's notice (we were). Selling all the pricey stuff within that time frame is pretty impossible and such a big headache. I won't call them cheap, but I would certainly call the fellow, who has to leave his 2 yrs old Art Van Recliner sofa besides the trash bin because his company sent him back, an utter fool. No sympathies for such people. And believe me, there are such Indians out there too.

Now this is the situation only till their status here is shaky. Once they get GCs, these very Indians, makes the smart moves of buying their own cars, purchasing their own house, furnishing it with new decently priced furniture, etc. Moreover, the Indians who are settled here are very helpful to the young generation that comes here first time. Their richness has not gone to their heads. They still advice the youngsters like us to go slow, not to splurge, look out for deals, etc.

And look at them, best thing about them is, they never compromise in their kid's education, proudly pay for their college, masters, even doctorates without hesitation, when it is such a stigma in local culture. Indians are known to have the best insurance policies, even at their early days. We have our priorities straight, thats what we have.
    I don't know about you or others, but I personally have tremendous respect for Indian community here, in general.

26 people like this.
  6. mp1234

mp1234 Gold IL'ite

Crocodile tears???Didn't you exactly want this to happen ???

Seriously,,no more detour...Let's go back

7. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

How is this not commenting?

Some people may have grown up penny pinching because of hard life and old habits are very hard to break.

1 person likes this.
  8. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

smart girl!

back on topic, i guess i must be moving with a different crowd. quite the opposite experience. in fact, all the excess consumption makes me cringe.

9. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

ok...:coffee :coffee

10. k11

k11 Silver IL'ite

I will call these lifestyle choices.
    It will vary from person to person.

Some of the TV shows on TLC take it to a new level. If you see some of the reality TV shows on the channel, you will vomit sometimes. There are a few shows on cheapskates.

Important thing to remember many (or some) people come to this country to make money and send it home.
    They do not come here to spend it and have a good time.