Are Indians in Western countries Thrifty and Smart or just Cheap and Misers?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Decentguy, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

I personally believe there is a very thin line between being thrifty and being cheap/miser. Sometimes we think we are smart and thrifty when we save money on something but others may feel we are just being cheap/misers.

Cases may include:-
    1. People waiting for Farmer's market to buy groceries and vegatables. Some think it is cheap and produce is fresh. Some people think that it is cheap thing. You get fresh produce too in Indian stores and other markets. Why should we wait for farmer's market?
    2. People have AC and Heaters in their homes but they never switch it on in summer or winters because of the electric bill
    3. People have big HDTVs but they have not subscribed to any HD channels. They have bought 10 dollars antenna and have opted to watch free channels, netflix. Their argument is we don't need cable because we hardly watch TV. My argument is then why do you have HD TV?
    4. Some people I have seen rarely go out for vacation or sight seeing. They spend their time at home even on holidays or long weekends. They never dine out or have fun outside...

There are many scenarios like this that I have seen or what others have told me. Share your thoughts on this

2 people like this.

2. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

I have a friend who stays few miles away from me. He has a daughter. The 2nd kid is a son. Now when the 2nd kid was born I went to meet him. There I found out that this friend had not bought any toys for him. The elder kid toys were there but they were mostly girlie toys. Few toys were unisex toys.

He was like " Oh I am waiting for thankgiving when there will be deals in Toys R Us". I said Great...!!

My feeling is he should have bought some " new" toys. I did not argue with him. Because thats his life and kid.

3. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Hi Decentguy Read ur article and liked it friend ..some of us can be pennywise and pound foolish.....of extra careful with money to the irritation of their own children, still it cannot be summed in few lines .
    Depends the family past background, fear of going bankrupt.or something like that . It is as if we waste money..the money gives a good bye,...we Indians have ALWAYS BEING MONEY WISE ..we invest better bring up our children to be a little careful etc....but for those whose earnings are limited ..i feel it is better to be selective in spending.

2 people like this.
  4. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Let's not stereotype. Everyone is wise about money. But I feel there is a difference between being smart and cheap.

People save money for the future I agree. But some people are too much. It is like they go to the extreme to save some money.

1 person likes this.
  5. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

-Buying summer clothes in winter and winter clothes in summer (on sale)

- Recycling kids birthday gifts/gift cards/goody bags to others

- $10 off on $50 purchase coupons- pooling up with others to reach the $50 mark and divide the discount

- Divide the costco products

4 people like this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Oh I saw some examples of miserliness that was frankly baffling. Never saw such misers in India as I have seen here in US. I have seen Indians in my univ go from dept to dept in search of free food and soda, people go and camp in other people's apt for weeks and not even help out or contribute towards expenses, seen 4,5,6 people live in one bedroom apt illegally (working ppl and students), working people live with practically not even basic furniture etc etc. the best part is so many of them come from well to do families.

I am sure I will be pounced on by many so disclaimer- these are my experiences based on what I saw.

7. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

OMG- just too much

8. mimi77

mimi77 Gold IL'ite

I find this thread very interesting DG......Yes even I have come across so many people who come here for short term trying to save money by not allowing themselves the slightest entertainment.........I think wasting money is not good but spending money wisely to have all the comforts and luxuries of life is required..........Im a kind of person who likes to splurge in luxury........I personally believe in Living life king size by ofcourse saving enough for the future............

9. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Some people really don't have the time or the inclination to watch the cable channels. Also, many of the local channels are available in high definition if you have one of those "rabbit ear" antennas. Further, most every thing is available on Hulu or the internet, so your argument for not subscribing to cable despite having a fancy television is unfounded.

Plus, a large screen television does not automatically mean one only watches cable shows. Most people I know (where both couples work full time) seem to use their televisions primarily for watching movies or games, during the weekends when they have time.

10. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite