1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are Guests welcome always?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

I find a sea change in attitude of people welcoming guests from yesteryears to now. In madurai in our house there used to be a steady stream of guests both from local and outside Madurai. People used to say ' I was going to temple, on the way I thought I would say hello to you', or ' I was just passing by I thought I would peep in'. They used to come and sit and gossip. Once one lady came to our house in summer saying 'even if I am given a lakh of rupees I will not go outside in this hot summer, but to your house I have readily come'. Summer comes Madurai will have lots of festivals. Relatives from other towns will come to our house saying ' I have not seen madurai temple festival at all ' and they will rediscover the long forgotten relationships. My parents were excellent hosts. My father will go to market and buy costly 'English Vegetables' (Carrot, cabbage, noorcose etc.) and I had to act like a guide to the people taking them to temple, Naickar Palace, Vandiyoor Tank etc. We really enjoyed entertaining the guests.

Once we moved to Mumbai there was a change in the attitude of people in receiving guests I noticed. You have to give a ring first and inform and if they welcome you then only you can visit. Even then, in most houses people will be busy watching TV channels and there will be minimum talk. My sister once told me ' don't come often. Your nephew is preparing for his +2 exams. If you come and start talking it will be disturbing his studies'. In western countries, you can't ring after 9 P.M unless it is an emergency. They do not entertain calls.

You can please share your experiences here.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

It is true Sir, that welcoming guests are also changing with time and place where we live in.
    Maybe this will become an attitude of the past be discussed in Pattimanrams and in the magazines like a hot topic.
    I think getting along with people is slowly fading away, where it has become a norm as 'two is a crowd'.
    My parents and grandparents are excellent hosts, till today.

Sriniketan

3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I think times have changed..Its nothing personal..I consider us very good hosts but its just become a way of life to ask and come..its convenient too..with busy schedules this works better..

4. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi TDU,
    Nice blog topic. With changing scenario we have to think of so many things before we have guests. It works that way and we have to accept it.

5. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello raman

quite a few things have changed from our(?) times? our house is famous for anytime eats. times have changed but the guests are still welcome including the ones who drop in suddenly. while it would be convenient if they can let us know when or how many people are coming it would help save food waste. previously we had quite a few maids coming in and would give away the excess food.
    there is another aspect raman. a few days back we had distant relatives coming to our place. DH wanted the old photographs taken out cleaned and put in a place as they may be curious about the family tree... quite a few teenagers. they enjoyed the stay with whatever eats we gave had fruits or tiffin or anything ...they did not fuss about the eats... but i must say i was not disturbed...! as i went about cooking or making arrangements while they went about temples came back played cards, spoke on mobiles. never did want to know anything about family tree or whatever....goes to show we are in different worlds....

sathya

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear TDU,
    it has been long since anyone dropped in as friends, only chat friends, so who ever gate crashes are well looked after here, so no complaints from my side...sunkan

7. loveshack

loveshack New IL'ite

Times have changed....maybe it is better to inform a person beforehand of your arrival,than drop in unexpectedly.Earlier,people used to put up with guests dropping in without prior calls,but I don't think today's generation is this tolerant.I think it's for the better,more convenient for people on both sides.