1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are flowers really fragrant?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Jayasala Mam,

An insight of the reality faced by most of the flower vendors in our country.

Reading your post reminded me of the flower vendor from where I buy flowers twice/thrice a week. I don't bargain with them unless they are give into, not because I have too much money but always think these flowers are for god, and a few rupees that the vendor would be bargain from me won't pinch my pockets. I love my puja room to be adorned with flowers, enlightens my mood.

But yes sometimes it's sad to see when the family picks a fight, husband beating the wife in public, sometimes he is drunk too. Having said that just feel it's another profession just like the others, and there are pros and cons. There are "Sellers" and we the "Buyers".

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Painful, harsh side of life. Anything one says out of sympathy can at best sound hollow.

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

No word of sympathy can console such women in crisis. But somehow they get along without much complaint.

Jayasala 42

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Jayasala

Nice thoughts, to think about these small vendors. I feel it is the only source of living for them. If people like us buy flowers from them only then they food will be cooked at home. When people won't buy them they will have to throw away the dried flowers which is a loss for that vendor.
    I always buy flowers when going to temple becoz that is the only way one can help these people.

5. jayasala42

Thank you Madam,
    I always have a soft corner to the traders dealing with perishable goods.That is why they fix a higher margin in early hours anf after a fixed time they reduce the price and are prepared to sell it at a loss, to exhaust the stock.They can make only mediocre profit. On many occasion we buy from them though unnecessary, just to keep their oven hot.

Jayasala 42

6. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

How do the Shanthis of our world find the strength to put one foot in front of another each day? I guess they do what needs to be done to survive. My prayers for them to enjoy at least some rosy moments in their otherwise thorny lives. Very nice post Jaya Ma'm.

7. jayasala42

Dear Meenasankaran,
    Thank you very much for your response.True, such shanthis are the very incarnations of patience.They have no go but to get along.

Jayasala 42

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

What a lovely snippet!

So nice of you to bring the lady who sells the fragrant flowers.

I also kept reading all the feed backs for this and it only shows that most of us feel softly towards people who really work hard for their daily bread and butter...on second thoughts, I may have to mention only bread. Sadly, that is the situation here.

Though our country has progressed by leaps and bounds, some spheres are left untouched. I wonder if ever the slums, the poverty and illiteracy will ever go away from our land?

How true it is that we never give a thought when bargaining with the vendors who come to our doors? I think along with so many other things, this too characterizes the early morning ritual in India!

Talking about this lady brings to mind my mother who started her day by buying flowers. This woman brought her basket full of flowers first to my mother asking her to make the 'boni'--be the first to buy for an auspicious start for her business. My mother looked like MSS with a big kumkum pottu and flowers on her hair..every single day!

I see my thoughts taking a flight and I am deviating! Just want to add this...though my mom didn't bargain, her flower-lady gave her an extra half a 'mozham' flowers for puja!! They were friends!

L, Kamla

9. jayasala42

Dear Kamla,
    Thank you for the feed back,
    When we think of flowers our thoughts go back to our ammas with a big kunkuma pottu and a little bit of jasmine in her grey hair.Now a days there are never fading plastic flowers with drops of scents sprinkled then and there.My DIL , a Bharatha natyam dancer has varieties of plastic flowers brought from Shanthi Dresses Mylapore. From 2000 she was using the flowers for nearly 150 performances.
    This year December season performance she purchased some 4 sets of flowers for nearly Rs 1000/-which may last for 10 more years.
    Nothing equals natural flowers and their rich fragrance.
    Shanthi, the flower vendor has cell phone, TV, necessarily a fridge to keep unsold flowers. But her life style and sufferings have never changed a bit.
    Glad to know that the snippet had kindled nostalgia.

Jayasala 42

10. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

The fragrance may be represen
    Yes..a sad life ma
    Her
    de fragrant by the flowers she sells !
    t