Ar(u)dra Dars(h)anam

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

The day of Ar(u)dra star ( thiruvathirai) in the month of markazhi in Dec-Jan is of special significance in Shiva temples.

Lord Shiva represents the complete cyclic process of generation, destruction and regeneration. Shiva represents stillness in the form of Dakshinamurthy. The same Shiva is also known by the popular name Nataraja, the Lord of the Cosmic Dance. It is said that it was from his dance that the science of language was born. The small drum in His hand is the symbol of rhythm and sound. There is rhythm in the whole movement of the universe. The sound is the divine music that comes from the Supreme Deity and carries the revelations of the ultimate truth.

The Cosmic Dance is called Ananda Thandavam or Dance of Bliss. This is of special significance in Shiva temples when thousands of devotees worship Nataraja early in the morning on the full moon day of the month of markazi. This is called Ar(u)dra Darshan. The grace of this dance symbolizes the five divine acts – creation, sustenance, dissolution, concealment and bestowal of grace. In this a deep understanding of the universe is hidden.

தபஸ் சக்தியினால் உள்நோக்கிய பார்வையோடு யோக நிஷ்டையில் இருக்கும் பரமன் ஆனந்தம் பொங்கி நடமிடும் கோலமே சிதம்பர நடராஜ தத்துவம்.
    பொங்கும் ஆனந்தம், எங்கும் எத்திசையும் போற்ற, விரிசடை பரந்து ஆட, கையில் மான், மழு, நெருப்பு முலகன் மேல் ஊன்றிய பாதம், எடுத்த இடது பாதம் கொண்டு வரிப்புலியாடையுடன் உடுக்கை அடித்துக் காட்சி தருகிறார் ஆனந்த தாண்டவ மூர்த்தி.

In Tamil Nadu there are five dance-halls in Shiva temples at

Chidambaram – Kanaka sabhai, the hall of gold

Madurai – Rajata sabhai, the hall of silver

Thirunelveli – Tambra sabhai, the hall of copper

Thiruvalankadu – Ratna sabhai, the hall of rubies

Kutralam - Chithrasabhai, the hall of pictures

In terms of antiquity, richness, rituals, festival traditions and cultural magnificence, the temple at Chidambaram is unique.

The following is from Chithsabaes(h)a das(h)akam:

Ardraabhishaekae suvaesham divya gandhaabhishaekaeNa dosham jushantham
    Lokaarthi haaripradosham brahma lakshmees(h)a nandees(h)a daevarshi nruththam

I praise the Lord Chithsabaeshan, who is looking very beautiful during ar(u)drabhishaekam, who is pleased with the sandalwood powder abhishaekam, who removes our distress specially during Mahapradosham and who dances with Brahma, Narayanan, Nandikaes(h)vara and Narada.
    [FONT=TSCu_Paranar][/FONT]
    திருவாதிரை அபிஷேக காலத்தில் அழகிய உருவம் கொண்டவரும், சிறந்த சந்தனாபிஷேகத்தால் சந்தோஷத்தை அடைகிறவரும், உலகத்தின் மனக்கவலையைப் போக்கும் மஹாப்ரதோஷ புண்யகாலத்தை உடையவரும், ப்ரம்மா, நாராயணன், நந்திகேசன், நாரதமுனி இவர்களுடன் கூட நர்த்தனம் செய்கிறவருமான ஸ்ரீ சித்ஸபேசனை பஜிக்கிறேன்.
    Thus we see that Nataraja is art and spirituality in perfect oneness.

Love,
    Chithra.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

nandanar is a sure mention here,

dear friends,
    my mother who hails from tirunelveli, describes this festival with great fervour, how they all have to be present there by 4 am and how the entire palenquinne of sri nataraja being carried and the way they step forward and backward making it look as if the lord is dancing along with his great garlands swinging right and left. nandanar was a farmer from the dalit family, and he wanted to see the lord, but the land owner had given him a task so big, that he could never dream of seeing the lord, so here the bhakthi is shown by the lord himself doing up all his job of tilling the land and all that goes along and a nice standing crop by night, was ready and he instructed nandanar to be there for the arudra darisanam, as a dalit no entrance into the temple, so he stood out side the temple and prayed again, then the lord instructed "nandi nagharu" means nandi move for him to view, and even today the scultpture of nandi in thillai has his tounge up on his nose as a shocking experience of the lord asking him to move for the bhaktha...that is how arudra darisanam came into fore in the hindu culture as nandanaar attained moksha.....and of course the thiruvadirai kali and thalaadam is a speciality done very very early in the morning for neivedyam...regards sunkan

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Attained bliss!!!!!!!!!

Dear Chitra,

Just in time for Thiruvathirai. This piece was very informative. I only know to some extent why this festival was celebrated but now I have fully understood. That was very useful information about the five halls which I thoroughly enjoyed. Felt like I was transported to Chidambaram after reading your post. Happy Thiruvathirai to you Chitra.

Lots of luv,

4. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Great !

Dear Chitra
    Lovely explanation.. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Had been to Thanjavur,kumbakonam,Chidambaram visiting temples and your writing brought tears in my eyes..
    Chidambaram... too good a place to be missed.
    "chidambara rahasayam " kandu kalithen.

Regards
    Sowmya

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Ms C,

ANother Gem from you to be preserved for eons to come. I love the Chidambaram temple ( for that matter all shivan kovils). But feel that Chidambaram has this special Aura around it. Your post today brought all the lovely memories for me.

Thanks
    Vandhana

6. Chitvish

My dear Radha !

You are always very nice to me in your words. Thankyou.
    Hope you make good nice "uthir uthir" kali & tasty ezukari kuzambu !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Sowmya !

When you read a write up about a place which you have visited, it is much more enjoyable !
    Thankyou for the F b.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Chitvish

My dear Vandhana !

I have gone to Chidambaram temple once, but just loved it. As you rightly write, that place has a special aura around it !
    Thankyou for the F B.
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Advaita

Advaita New IL'ite

Dear Madam,

Your artcile is very good. And the Natraja picture is also very good. I also liked your slokams for small children. Can you write full page of Chitsabesha dasakam. I can read Tamil and Kannada and English.

thank you
    adva

10. Chitvish

Hello Advaita !

Welcome to this forum. Thankyou for the feedback.
    Yes, I shall write the full Chitsabesha dashakam & post - just give me sometime to draft it ! I happened to see the Nataraja Picture in a magazine. Since it will be very apt, I scanned it & posted. Thanks for making a special mention of it !
    Love,
    Chithra.

1 - You have a lovely name, I like it so much !
    2 - On your request in my cookery forum, I am posting eggless brownies in the Cook N Bake thread to morrow.