1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Appreciation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Nov 25, 2018.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Appreciation my experience. We should have a heart to appreciate others. From my experience I have seen that those who are experts in any field dont. appreciate so easily. They. will appreciate the people who are experts. Actually everyone needs appreciation, especially. those who are beginners and those. who are trying their best. to become experts. Each one of us have some inborn talent some take interest and bring out their talent but. some dont try. Usually our friends are always ready to appreciate but Relatives dont appreciate so easily. Each. One have their own favourites. This is my experience and dont want to hurt anyone.

When we thank auto auto drivers and others they feel very happy.

Amica, Thyagarajan, kaniths and 8 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viji Meri Jaan, this is a very short snippet but thought-provoking. Did something in particular make you write it? Kuch hua? Something happind? Or is it a casual pondering on appreciation?
    That is the case often. Experts tend to forget their own newbie days. They expect a similar level of knowledge or proficiency as themselves in others. I have seen this in some music and dance teachers. Looking at it from another point of view, maybe the experts know what the other person is capable of and are prodding that person to try more.
    In other words, we crave for appreciation of our effort and not to be graded on the result.

Ek baat bolun? Can I say one thing? I actually wanted to respond to the auto driver thing, so responded to rest of snippet first. : )

The people who are employed in professions that pay less but which are crucial to making our lives so much easier and smoother are the ones who deserve a lot of appreciation. Auto drivers -- my favorite from this category. They can be so helpful, resourceful and such a convenience in times of emergency. They might act up or charge more, but there are the ones who literally go the extra mile with a smile. Many more examples of people in such professions that do not get their due appreciation coming to mind.

Aur ek baat bolun? Can I say one more thing? : ) My response is longer than snippet. : ) Your thoughts make readers think. Think deep.

Good Morning.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    iyerviji and Sinant like this.
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Nothing can slip by your notice! ;)
    Recognition of the way of the world, is why we'd been advised to do our karma like a yogini, and not expect any thanks/appreciation in return.

iyerviji likes this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vijima,

Appreciation is an art that needs to be cultivated. For that, the mind should be fertile with confidence, good thoughts, simplicity and gratitude. Very few are capable of noticing and appreciating little things in others and since this talent to pause and note what is good in others is a bit uncommon, we must appreciate those who can appreciate others graciously. :)When the intent behind appreciation is not genuine, it becomes flattery!:(

Yesterday, I saw a guy distributing pamphlets at the junction. It was one of those that seeks agents for some spurious product for weight loss. I refused to take the pamphlet and also pointed to the guy how people had discarded his pamphlets all over the road and questioned him as to who would clean up after him? The guy was furious and when he opened his mouth I realised that he was drunk too. At first he was rude. I told him, fine, you stand here and continue your act. I will lodge a complaint against you, and walked away. That fellow followed me calling out loudly, "Madam". He started arguing whether it was our (his and mine) responsibility to clean up when everyone is littering around. I said, let each one of us do our duty without waiting for the others. If you don't wish to clean, let me do it. He then asked me, "What will I get if I clean?" I said, you will feel happy that you have done what is right and I will clap and appreciate you. As the crowd gathered around, he willingly gathered all those discarded pamphlets and I ensured to stand there to clap for him. The sense of happiness on his face was worth millions! The whole interaction taught me how people are desperate for recognition and appreciation.:)

Viswamitra, iyerviji and Sinant like this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

So true viji maa, appreciation makes lot of difference. A small word of appreciation can make us forget the days of stress. Whether its professional or personal life, appreciation is a must factor which brings lot of positive changes in a person / relation.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. iyerviji

My dear pyari Rihana

Thanks for the first feedback. Aap ka message padkar Dil kush hua. I have experienced in FB and IL that some experts respond only to other experts . Some Relatives close to me who say they love me and respect .me don't give feedback in FB ,sometimes they just give a like. All can't be experts and talented. Some are talented but don't show their talent.

Earlier also I have written about this as my doubt. I am happy your response is longer than my snippet.

People who are paid less they need appreciation . They get inspired and work more. We have electrician and plumber and others whom we call and I give them coffee and they feel happy.

Glad to know that my snippet is thought provoking

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Quite often we are thinking of people, talking about them to others, but then do not directly tell them how we feel to their face.

When I thought of Chinese writing, and how they use doodle diagrams for concepts in their language, I thought of other languages and phonetics. And that sent me to think of @iyerviji, likely the only member of this forum who can write Pitman's shorthand, which is similar to the Korean language. And I mentioned that way out there in some other thread. :blush:

Sometimes recognizing someone to their "face" (even though this is a faceless forum) does not come naturally to us. And we blame the karma-yoga chapter of the Bhagavad Gita to justify our behavior.
    Very often, we are thinking of people, but don't know what to tell them. For example, I am often thinking of Ouroboros/@Blinky as a lunatic, in a charming sort of way.... but rarely have the right expression to post that on the forum.

When I am in India, I am told to cut down on saying "Thank you" to all service people. The local relatives ( I always have a niece or nephew guide when I go out to shop or even just walk on the river-side or beach) and hosts tell me that it is odd behavior, and marks me as a foreigner, with all the perceived bargaining handicaps that go with that. I usually laugh that off, and go with what comes naturally to me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    iyerviji likes this.
  8. iyerviji

Very true

9. iyerviji

I agree with your first paragraph. Thanks for sharing about the guy. Good you made him understand how happy you feel when you do good

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. iyerviji

Very true kcb