1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Applying sandal/kumkum

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by amihere, Apr 16, 2010.

1. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I came to know that we are supposed to apply sandal paste/kumkum etc on our forhead only with our ring finger and not with index finger. Is there any significance in this which is known to any member of this forum? If so please let me know.

P.S: I am not quite sure if this is the proper place to post this question. If not Chitra Ma'm, please delete the thread.

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

according to a Telugu book :

use ring finger to get peace ; center finger for long life ;
    thumb to get energy ; index finger for spiritual attitude

little finger is obviously not used for applying the Kunkum :)

And from a quick search on this site :

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ragini thanks for answering my query, but as per this then we can apply as we wish right? I am confused.

4. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

^ as the book I referred is an authentic one , I do not find anything wrong in using index finger
    for applying Kunkum on forehead . and its a common practice for most of Indian women ; isn't it :)

5. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

i too have heard from many people that kumkum should be applied using the ring finger ..once i was doing a kumkum archana to deity during navrathri when one of the ladies attending the pooja asked me to use the thumb and ring finger for doing the archana(i was using my pointer and thumb),,though i dont know the exact reason,i have got used to keeping chandan,kumkum with my ring finger..

aarthi

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

^ Hi Aarthi , elders say that index finger is not used in Kumkum Archana as we use it for cleaning our teeth ...

7. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Raagini thanks for coming back, yeah I from childhood practices the same and all at home does it.But when I heard this is wrong I was curious as of why? now I have some valid point to add to when others insist on me the usage of ring finger:)

Hi Aarthi thanks for dropping in:)Yeah when someone says to us esp. things like these we unconsciously follow it.I use to go to temple without tying my hair(in Kerala we visit temple immediately after bath so hair will be wet).Once an old lady told me to tie atleast the end of the hair, so from that day I unknowingly makes sure b4 entering temple my hair is somehow tied:)

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ami,

the index finger is considered rude in many cultures.

When you are doing japa using beads/rosaries, the chanting will be done excluding the index finger, the reason is that the index finger is said to represent I/ego. so you use the ring, thumb and middle finger moving the beads inbetween the centre/meru bead leaving the index alone.

I believe the same logic applies in this too.

I remember hearing about this long back, though i do not have any proof for this.

that women did the ablutions and bathing rituals early morning and their chakras were open. and the ring finger carries some energy principle and the index had a different principle. so when you do apply kumkum with your ring finger, you are placing more positive energy.
    This is just my observations based on my hearsay.

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Shanthi dear thanks for the post, somethings that are practised in olden days have some valid reasons..but somehow I cant do anything blindly without asking WHY?? Thanks for explaining to me.

10. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Amihere that was a nice question you asked, i still use the index because it comes automatically, ring finger you have to search,-----yes there is a tradition behind it---index finger is a commanding, and pointing:) out finger-----it is nothing but palmistry------the index finger stands for power and pride, we dont need that for marriage and family-------the ring finger stands for love----this is what we need--love and creativity' also brilliancy, to lead a happy family life.
    The index also stands for spituality,----to much breaks the family set up only, those on varadam, and poojas or sanyasis use it-------they are said to be proud also isnt it.
    We need love so ring finger is chosen.