Applying henna during pregnency: Need your guidance

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by katochsimi, Apr 11, 2014.

1. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies, I read in this forum that applying henna during pregnency is not advices neither coloring hair.. i m currently 9 weeks preg and have applied henna twice since then, Actually my hairs are 80% grey and i seriously cannot go like that in office. During first preg i dyed my hair twice and also did henna frequently. so i was sure for that. but here i read many times about not applying henna and now i m so so tensed about it. i really dont want to take any chance with new born. Pls ladies guide me suggest me my baby is ok na...hope there wont be any prob with henna i applied :drowning

2. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Hello!

I had applied henna on my hand in first trimester as it was I think diwali or dushhera time. And I had similar question.. For the first time, I got allergy from that henna on my hand, the skin from the palm started shedding and it was scaly for one week. I swore not to apply it again then.. I am in my 35th week and everything is fine so far. BUT that being said, I would advise you not to apply henna on head..skin on palm is thick skin and it is difficult to get things or chemicals absorbed from there..I think skin on scalp has better higher chances of chemicals absorption (even if it is henna, we may not know it may have chemicals mixed, I am assuming you are buying packets from market).

head application also risks close contact with nose, mouth, ears etc. I know it's tough for you but people avoid things like these in pregnancy. I had no idea one of my colleagues had so many gray hair until she turned pregnant, but she didn't have any complex from that. In fact, she got a short haircut and flaunted her salt and pepper hair style (she is just 29).

So my opinion is avoid it altogether..

have a healthy and safe pregnancy :)

1 person likes this.
  3. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

The reason why people say not to dye your hair with henna or hair colors during pregnancy is because your immune system goes down during pregnancy so there are chances of having chemical reactions on the applied area or chancea of infections.

It wont do harm to your baby but may cause allergy to you even if before you never had amy allergic reactions to henna.

My advice would be if possible make fresh henna paste from leaves at home or buy 100% organic henna with no chemicals.

Avoid black henna or any henna with metalic salts or chemicals.

1 person likes this.
  4. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

thank you ladies for your guidance and advice...surely i will make paste of leaves and will apply. Because my post and profile dont allow me to come like this to office and my baby n health is too important...:thumbsup

5. shari2003

shari2003 Silver IL'ite

I am in my 35th week now, and have been applying henna every 3-4 weeks during the entire term. However, I take care not to apply the black henna or any hair color. I prepare henna at home using the powder available in the market, coffee, lemon juice, egg, curd, some amla powder and a few drops of eucalyptus oil. I mix them and keep it overnight in an iron kadai so that it attains enough color before I apply it. However, I have not caught any infection thus far; touch wood!

1 person likes this.
  6. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

OP,

I applied henna in every 2-3 week during my whole pregnancy but never dye.
    I never heard from any one any side effect of henaa (if it's herbal not the chemical) other than cold which is natural as henna is considered cold . If you want to apply I'll suggest you to use Patanjali heena (baba ramdev) which is free from chemicals. I have tried all brands and found this one best (I am not baba ramdev fan, just use henna). For cold (I am not sure how soon you catch cold as for me Henna never created problem), put some drops of eucalytus oil and apply musturd oil after washing for 1-2 hour.

1 person likes this.
  7. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

thank you friends...you replies are great relief..ya sure i will try patanjali heena.....:thumbsup