1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Apples in my fridge

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Ranchu, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi ,

I usually buy apples during weekly shopping. however last week i had some guests , so it turned out to be a dozen of apples lying in my fridge.

I definitely dont want to do Apple milkshake ( DH wants me to be intuitive in finishing off those :confused2:).
    I have some puff pastry sheets , thinking of making apple tart kind. cant think of any other menu with apples though.
    Any other suggestions on how do I consume those ?

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Ranchu,

One easy way..you can have cinnamon apples.

Cut the apples usually without skin..if you prefer skin..it is fine too...into big pieces...
    When it is half-cooked, add the brown sugar, according to your taste and boil it a little bit more and when it becomes slightly thicker, add the cinnamon powder and put the stove off.

You can enjoy it as it is or when it is completely cooled down.

sriniketan

3. Vidya21

Vidya21 Senior IL'ite

4 large apples, halved crosswise and cored
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    2 Tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 to 1 cup maple syrup
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pistachios

Preheat oven to 400<sup>o</sup> F.

Brush cut sides of apples with 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Arrange apples, cut sides up, in a baking dish. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts, lemon juice, salt in a small bowl. Fill the cored apples with this mixture. Pour maple syrup on the apples and on the bottom of dish. Cover with foil and bake 10-15 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more or until apples are tender - bake it to however tender you want them!

Transfer apples to a serving platter, enjoy with a dollop of vanilla or some other ice cream :thumbsup

4. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

I usually make jam with left over apples and store them in sterilized(wash it in hot in dish washer) glass jars and they last for about a month or so. Keep the jar refrigerated and airtight.
    Check pickyourown dot org for step by step procedure or samai dot in for easy simple procedure.
    It is very simple and all you need are apples, sugar and some lemon and it tastes as good as the commercial ones only without any additives or preservatives.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

I make one recipe similar to what Vidya has said..

Apples peeled and sliced
    butter - little bit
    cinnamon sticks - may be 2 small sticks
    walnut
    Vanilla ice cream
    sugar

Heat butter until it melts, then fry cinnamon sticks,walnut and then add sugar and melt it. I once did caramelise the sugar, just to try a variation of this recipe :)
    then put sliced apples and fry until it gets soft..
    Then transer a portion of it and top it with ice cream and have..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  6. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Buy frozen pie shell in freezer section of grocery store. Peel core and slice enough apples to fill the shell and overfill so its humped up in the shell. Take brown sugar, pecans, ground cinnamon and some butter and blend in a blender (magic bullet works well). Use these crumbs to sprinkle in medium size blobs all over the apples. Bake at 375. After about 20 mins of baking, pour in a little juice (grapefruit works really well) to make sure apples are moist...just a little or the shell will get soggy. Bake until apples are cooked but don't burn the crumb topping. Serve warm.

7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you all.

I tried the Apple crumble pie given by Tashidelek. It came out very tasty, although it turned out a lot more soggy (may be I added a little too much butter :) ).

I had a fun weekend trying to bake this.

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Maybe you didn't need any juice if you have juicy apples. I had a little too much juice when I made it and poured a little off as I took it out of the oven and then the rest absorbed into the apples as it cooled.

9. umagopu

umagopu New IL'ite

hey
    bajji pannalam jam pannallam then sakkarai paghu edhu soak panni sapidalam try

10. rathnarosy

rathnarosy Senior IL'ite

hi,

how to prepare apple jam