1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Apples and this Eve

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Mar 4, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

My husband is great proponent of eating a lot of fruits. I don't mind eating fruits, but I cannot claim by any stretch of imagination to be so delighted at the sight of one as to start jumping with excitement, or for that matter to be so touched at the appearance of some on my dining table as to shed a few tears of joy. Then even amongst fruits, I have some favourites. Those vying for the first place on my list are mangoes, oranges, sweet lime, grapes, strawberries, blueberries. Talking of bananas, the only ones I like are the smaller slightly sweet-sour tasting ones.

Now of all the fruits in question, apples are the trickiest proposition. Both my mom and my husband are unabashed advocates of the red fruit. May be I still carry some genetic memory of the apple and the consequences of eating one from the days of Eve. But I am not a very enthusiastic eater of apples. One of the reasons is that they come in so many varieties, a large majority of which are of rather pasty and soft texture. I just hate those. If I ever eat apples, they have to be just so – nice and crisp and slightly sweet-sour. Granny Smith apples, and Washington apples are my all time favourites.

Now you might very well ask (and with ample justification) why I am rambling on about my taste in fruits. It is really of no interest to you, nor does it really have any direct relevance to your existence.
    Well, this is just a background to an article I read about eating apples and its effect on longevity.

As it happens, scientists are now claiming that not only does an apple a day keep the doctor away, it also increases longevity by 10%. Now here comes the twist. This is not the result of studies on humans, but on one of our close genetic relatives – hang on, not the tailed variety, but the winged variety – the fruit flies (also known as Drosophila). Yes, they are said to share many of our genes despite their size (I was not too flattered to read this). We do have a lot of unknown cousins, don't we! Apparently they were fed with an apple extract (golly, not even all humans are privileged to get that) by Chinese scientists. Instead of their normal average life span of 50 days, they lived for 55 days (that is to say 10% longer). Not just this, but they also found it easier to walk, climb and move about as they aged. (But aren't fruit flies meant to fly? Why were they walking around and what exactly were they climbing? Does that mean that if we ate an apple a day, we would start flying around instead of walking and climbing? My sympathies with the airline companies of the world). It is claimed that the apple extract also cut levels of various biochemicals found in older fruit flies and linked to age-related deterioration. The antioxidants in the extracts mopped up all the free-radicals and dangerous chemicals blamed for a host of ills including ageing. No wonder they do not need any cosmetics. They are constantly having a go at all the fruits in my fruit basket.

Anyway, the take-home message of all this would probably be that eating an apple a day would:

• Keep the doctor away.
    • Keep me away from the doctor – I would not complains of aches and pains in my joints and would be able to skip and dance along like a young girl.
    • I would live longer with a blemish free, glowing and radiant complexion.
    • I would probably be able to dispense of my need for low-cost airlines and do a Mary Poppins act.
    Now I don't wonder that my husband keeps after me to eat that apple a day. But the catch in all this story is that my husband is a doctor. So is he trying to keep away from me? What use this life away from my doctor? Life would certainly seem very long.

2. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi,

I cannot stop laughing :rotfl:rotfl reading this

"I don't wonder that my husband keeps after me to eat that apple a day. But the catch in all this story is that my husband is a doctor. So is he trying to keep away from me? What use this life away from my doctor? Life would certainly seem very long."

So apple seems to good to everyone except for the doctors family :crazy

3. anjali10

anjali10 New IL'ite

Hi satchi,

You can keep away from apple as
    "you are apple of the eye "

4. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

But the catch in all this story is that my husband is a doctor. So is he trying to keep away from me? What use this life away from my doctor? Life would certainly seem very long. ---:thumbsup:thumbsup

:rotflenjoyed to the core.

5. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello Satchi..,

Very cute one and an off-the-beat topic to blog

on.

But the highlight is your 'in-built humour' in the

reference to your Doctor dh.

Kudos!!!:thumbsup

:cheers
    Saras

6. satchitananda

hi malar,
    thanks for your comment. true, altho' a doctors family should keep as far away from apples as possible, it is they who get generous doses of that medicine. :biglaugh :biglaugh

7. satchitananda

anjali, thanks for the comment. :)

8. satchitananda

thanks inimalayar for the comment. :)

9. satchitananda

10. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Lovely article, very hilarious. I am not an 'apple person' as well and can take in the juices but never the fruit as such. Reading your last lines,made me remember 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if the doctor is cute, keep the apple away', so I completely understand why you want to keep the apple away :rotfl
    I think it is also the availability that makes something less attractive, these days, apples are abundant and really cheap. Back home, when we were young, mom used to buy apples once a while, during the season, when it was cheap and I simply loved them as they were rare and one did not get to eat them everyday. But now, there are pounds and pounds of them lying inside the refrigerator and I just cant stand the sight of them and yet we do buy them every week and stock them again and again :bonk