1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Apple

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@Viswamitra
    As an addendum to my already written FB:
    A 5 pointed star is formed in the core of each segment when Apple is cut across its belly.
    At the core one finds seeds. It contains in traces cyanide as per article appeared in Reader's Digest & in Health Capsules by Bran Smith.
    Thank you
    Regards.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

Tiny black seeds inside the apple has amygladin, a substance that releases cyanide when it comes into contact with human digestive enzymes. But acute toxicity is rare if one accidentally eat some of the seeds. Amygdalin is classified as a cyanogenic glycoside because each amygdalin molecule includes a nitrile group, which can be released as the toxic cyanide anion by the action of a beta-gluccosidase. Eating amygdalin will cause it to release cyanide in the human body, and may lead to cyanide poisoning.

However, the fruit by itself has so many good components for human to lead a healthy life if they learn how to remove the seeds. I am concluding this discussion with a healthy note so that no one who is distributing apples for Navaratri is accused as attempted murderer. If required, a note can be kept along with apples, "Eating the seeds inside the apple might be injurious to health and sometimes could be fatal" which might reduce the potential legal liabilities. :rolleye::shakehead::yikes::BangHead::facepalm:

Note: @Ouroboros predicted the apple would face a crisis by the time it gets into the fourth page due to competitive discussion from other fruits. But neither of us expected apple (my snippet) would face this kind of a crisis. @Ouroboros, I would gladly take your grape defence and @Cheeniya Cheeniya Sir's defense of Oranges than a Cyanide scare. Can you help me out here or should I cry for help with @sokanasanah?

Viswa

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    The history of apple is having too many stories and you have almost mentioned all stories, Mythology, Science and love stories based on apple.
    Sir Isaac Newton was supposed to have discussed the gravity theory after he saw an apple fall from the tree when he was relaxing underneath an apple tree.

Somehow I don't like apple. My favourite fruit is mango which is a seasonal fruit.
    PS

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello: I agree with madam sister too.
    2. If mango fruit and Apple offered inter alia on banana leaf in a marriage reception, I am sure every one eating in the dinning hall would keep aside the Apple and furiously bite the golden yellow mango and devour it.
    3. Mango is famous with the clown Tenali Rama -TR- associated with special status for his ability to softly convey harsh reality to the king Krishna Deva Raya.
    4. During the finals of ritual of thithi of king' s mother, TR noticed with concern each of the assembled priest was offered a golden mango. He queried the king the reason behind it. King responded that by the time desired mango was brought to her, his mother expired and that was why priest with other freebies golden mango too was gifted to them.
    TR thought tax payers money frittered away and this way coffers will be empty and decided to teach lesson to the King.
    In the same venue he announced to those priests assembly, that he also would like them to participate next day in his mother's annual ceremony and he would delight those present among them would be rewarded.
    Next day, at the conclusion of ceremony TR announced that gifts are ready for distribution at the far end of his house back yard and one by one should go and receive the gift.
    Repeated hue and cry was heard immediately after a priest left to the backyard.
    The priests all put together lodged complaint to the King and as anticipated TR arrived at the King's court.
    When king enquired the reason for his treating the revered priest badly, TR readily responded that his mother too died before her last wish could be executed and he paused for a moment. When king ordered him to go ahead, he spoke sadly that mom wanted a dabbing from a slightly heated iron rod on her thigh which was slightly paralysed.
    With this kind of reward, I presume my mother's soul in heaven would get permanent peace ie her soul would get rested.
    Every time I eat or look or come across the mango I get this story irresistibly cross the mind.
    It is said east or west home is best.
    Likewise Apple or mango (golden yellow) India is best.
    Thanks and regards.
    God Bless.

5. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Thank you for your response. Mango is the favorite fruit in India. That is why I said, had Steve Jobs spent some more time in India and named his company "Mango", he would have sold a lot more of his gadgets both in India and Pakistan. Even though Apples and Oranges are mentioned when someone compares wrong things, they are the fruits that are taken if someone is sick in the hospital. Mangoes are for the healthy and those who are not diabetic.

Viswa

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

I realize Mango is the favorite fruit of India. Knowing that only Pakistan send Alphonso Mangoes to Indian rulers every year as an act of friendship.
    If you like to read the history of Mango, please read the link below:
    King of Fruits – History of Mango! | Pitara Kids Network

However, Mangoes have to be eaten in moderation. Here are the dangers of overeating the King of fruits:
    How too much mangoes can affect your health? - HTV

However, rarely we can find any negative comments about eating apples. The benefits of eating apples is far more than negatives. I rest my case.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thank you sir but I take it as not s response to my just posted Yet another response featuring mango and Tenali Raman.
    Regards.

8. Viswamitra

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

An apt action by the brilliant counsel by Tenali Raman saved the Kingdom being ripped through devious means. The greed was very visible in the story when the head priest asked for golden Mangoes in a silver plate instead of real Mangoes.

9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

What? We are still at apple. Are we not supposed to have evolved into a clamorous garden of preferential fruity voices.

Like this Arcimboldo's,

upload_2018-10-27_14-57-11.png

But we have still sustained our fidelity for apple like this René Magritte's,

upload_2018-10-27_14-57-45.png

True. The Evil Queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs fairy tale lures Snow White with a poisoned apple. The Queen cuts the magical apple in half, eats the good part, and offers the lethal part to Snow White. Rather she could have plucked a natural apple and cut it two halves and offered the seeded part to Apple without taking the trouble of bewitching the apple. The Evil Queen seems to have much scientific accuracy in her thorough plotting by realizing that killing someone with an unpitted apple is inexpedient.

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

@Ouroboros,

If I was the Evil Queen, I would have invited Snow White for a sumptuous dinner and made a nice Apple Pie with a lot of crushed seeds in it. :biggrin: