1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Apple

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Avalanche of apples written by @meenasankaran inspired me to write this snippet. She was struggling what to do with apples given in a goody bags when she visited her families and friends for Navarthri. @Gauri03 discards the excess fruits in a plastic bag tied to the fence of her house as 6 apple trees provide too many fruits two times every year. I am focused on how apple changed the humanity over several centuries in this snippet of mine.

Despite all the warning, Adam was tempted to eat the forbidden apple resulting in the humanity created and struggling for its survival. He started the avalanche of humans having mind of their own. Over a period, they learned how to make fire and cook food. They lived in groups hunting for food and those men who stayed to protect women developed a habit of sleeping early and waking up early while those who went for hunting stayed awake into night and went to bed very early in the morning. Each group developed their own culture and values and slowly also developed languages to communicate with each other. Still they were awestruck by the nature and didn’t have the wherewithal to develop scientific invention and relied on scriptures to learn more about how the universe came into existence. They thought this beautiful planet is flat until the scientific invention began later.

Men and women, out of curiosity began to explore how things work in this planet without anyone managing it like they manage their lives. One day, Sir Isaac Newton was watching how the apple fell from the tree. He didn’t sleep until he found out the reason for the fall of the fruit. He invented that this planet has gravity helping everything in the planet remain in its place. Men and women began researching making a scientific revolution from 1600 onward. Even though many have explored the concepts and shared their thoughts earlier, but scientists began to prove their inventions through experiments.

Towards the end of 20th century, a man named Steve Jobs decided to develop a desktop publishing hardware and software that has fonts that looks like a typeset so that people in daily walks of life could use that for their marketing purposes. He named his company “Apple” and it revolutionized the entire world. Slowly the company developed into a giant corporation manufacturing arguably one of the best notebooks and phones besides developing a dedicated operating system for their product lines. i products have become extremely popular and sell in large quantities throughout the world and China became their destination for manufacturing notebooks and phones. Incidentally bitten apple which started the humanity became their famous logo.

Let us get back to the fruit itself now. In China apple represent peace, and apple blossoms are a symbol of women's beauty. In other traditions, they can signify wisdom, joy, fertility, and youthfulness. Apples play an important part in several Greek myths. Hera (pronounced HAIR-uh), queen of the gods, owned some precious apple trees that she had received as a wedding present from Gaia (pronounced GAY-uh), the earth mother. Tended by the Hesperides (pronounced hee-SPER-uh-deez), the Daughters of Evening, and guarded by a fierce dragon, these trees grew in a garden somewhere far in the west. Their apples were golden, tasted like honey, and had magical powers. They could heal the sick or injured, they renewed themselves as they were eaten, and if thrown, they always hit their target and then returned to the thrower's hand. In Norse mythology, apples are a symbol of eternal youth. Legend says that the goddess Idun (pronounced EE-thoon) guarded the magical golden apples that kept the gods young. But after the trickster god Loki (pronounced LOH-kee) allowed Idun to be carried off to the realm of the giants, the gods began to grow old and gray. They forced Loki to recapture Idun from the giants. Celtic mythology also mentions apples as the fruit of the gods and of immortality, or the ability to live forever.

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is an old Welsh proverb that most of us are familiar with, but what makes this fruit so special? What health benefits are associated with eating apples? Well, the forbidden fruit appears to be good for neurological health, prevents dementia, reduces the risk of stroke, lowers cholesterol, reduces the risk of diabetes, prevents obesity, prevents breast cancer, and many more. Since the forbidden fruit can’t defend itself from disdain, I am raising my feeble voice to defend it.

jskls, Thyagarajan, kaniths and 2 others like this.

2. Viswamitra

@ravin1,

Is it your thought for yourself or telling me to do just that? Anyhow, thank you for your first response. Forbidden fruit either can be viewed as creating a mess of humanity or an opportunity for humans to explore this planet and space.

Viswa

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, nice job tying up all the famous apples from history with a single thread. Apples have a rather unique status in Western culture. The fruit is equally revered and maligned. Come to think of it I can't recollect any other fruit or vegetable with such significant antecedents. From the fall of mankind to the discovery of gravity the apple was everywhere. Wonder why the humble banana or tropical sensation mango didn't develop such myths around them? Wikipedia tells me that in ancient Greece throwing an apple at someone was a way of symbolically confessing your love. If anyone ever wants to throw an apple at me it better be a Honeycrisp or a Pink Lady. : ) Red Delicious are a strict no no! :nono::lol:

4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

""An apple a day keeps the doctor away" obviously a proverb coined by people of a land where bananas don't grow. The sayin g does nothing to boost apple's image. It gives the fruit a therapeutic aura.. You feel like having medicine when you eat an apple.. I can never eat a apple as apple. It has to be hidden in my overnight oats or disguised as a fruit crumble. Studies have shown when it comes to nutrition, apple pales before the humble banana w2hen it comes t. to nutrition. Banana and a bowl of yogurt is a complete meal in itself. You get all your nutrients.in that combo. So why go bananas over apple?

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Don't be too sure that apple was the cause for the undoing of humanity. There are other possibilities too.
    The earliest apple is reported to have been cultivated in 328 BC but the pair Adam and eve existed much before that.
    PS: I was teaching history to my neighbor's granddaughter and you can see the effect of it!

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and kaniths like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

That brings to my mind, Beatles’ own record company—Apple. The band's all-time biggest hit and my favorite, "Hey Jude" was the label's first release and its 50th birthday of the song already! :hearteyes:
    Screenshot_2018-10-25-13-01-28-434_org.mozilla.firefox~01.png
    Green apple works? :tearsofjoy::grin:

jskls, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Thank you for your response. Historically, apple played a prominent role in every mythology. It makes sense throwing apple being considered as confession of love as apple blossoms are considered as women's beauty according the Chinese mythology. While apple is revered so much in mythology, grape is the favorite of men as it helps making the world's best intoxicating wines. The men may throw apple at women but never a grape. Now the secret is out about what your husband threw at you before he proposed. :lol:

jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Understood and thank you very much.

9. Viswamitra

I can understand the objection of @Balajee about apple's fame defending banana from the land of banana. Mango, Banana and Jackfruit are the most used fruits in India. Remember bananas are kept in front of the Lord during worship as well. Banana is a great source of potassium and helps the digestion system. Back in India, we all had a habit to eat one banana before going to bed and in America, most of them eat a banana and many other fruits for breakfast. They believe it is being a complex fiber to digest, will keep the hunger in check. Banana and Yogurt are the two favorite dishes of my wife and I won't get my next meal if I argue against it. :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

It is entirely possible it could be fermented grape that Adam ate and got intoxicated before committing the ultimate sin or might have consumed psychedelic magic mushroom that triggered him to do it. But unfortunately, apple finds a place in Genesis. I am being a big fan of Genesis, I wouldn't question that as so many scientific theories including big bang are already described in Genesis.

Long live apple!

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.