1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anything, Anytime, Anywhere – Love you Mom

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by gayu_r, Apr 21, 2009.

1. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

View attachment 129905

I had Rava dosa for Dinner today and couldn't stop thinking about you Mom
    . "She is an epitome of sacrifice"

I wonder which hormone pumps the sacrifice serum in mothers. Anything related to "herself" invariably took a back seat for my mom before her children's interests. Be it her career, education, social life, sleep, small wishes or higher ambitions. I always wondered how someone would be so happy to make yummy crispy dosas or puris for everyone in the family without any temptation to taste even a single bite, She even brought home the chocolates and goodies from retirement or sendoff parties from work. Sure we had them at home, but I know she would not eat anything without her kids having them, however common the dish may be. In any restaurant, how so ever sophisticated it is, she never skips the ritual to have her kids taste her dish before she ate them.

Ouch ! I stepped on a pushpin today and instantly thought about you Ma. "Good things - Kids first. Otherwise Mom first. Her Prayers. Priorities and Protective instinct"

If I had stepped on a pushpin few years back, I would have shown a temper tantrum, found the origin, given a warning speech, et al. Today I felt happy. Thank God, it was me who stepped on it and not my toddler. Just ensured that there were no more on the floor and moved on. Nobody can deny "Motherhood changes you" and I have changed too. Any new saree, jewel that my mom bought or was gifted, it was always me who was adorned and admired first. On the contrary Ma never touched mine, they were her child's. If there was hot water for a shower, she felt them first to judge the temperature, lest any of her children may get burnt. She always guarded me at the door in public restrooms, stood next to me in public transport buses - reasons best known for the ladies who hail from Chennai. She never let me wash dishes, she wanted me to have soft hands and asked me to stack the clean dishes in the shelves instead. She never let me do any hardship chores, gave me the lighter ones instead. I was young, hale and healthy and she had heart problems. Though I complained that she assigned me the good-for-nothing chores, within my heart, I knew she wanted to treat me like a princess, though she never would state it aloud.

I was tying the shoe lace for my son today, and remembered you Mom. "Her Patience, Forgiving nature and Smile. The little things that took us miles"

We were very young and in school then. Ma had a busy schedule of running the home without help, going to work, and managing two young children. Since dad was doing part-time studies then, she had to deal with a lot of them on her own. She would ask us to put the socks for laundry every day after getting back from school, but we being kids never did it and without any surprise the shoe stinks the next day. With the pressure of having to put the shoes on two kids, rickshaw man waiting outside, final winding up of kitchen pending, she herself getting late for work, she would still run her clean and soft fingers inside the shoes to make sure that there were no insects inside. Never once did she forget to check the shoes inside before we slipped it on, care and concern filling her face as she checked them. She would take the stinky socks with her, smile and kiss us good-bye and gently tell us to put today's socks in laundry basket.

My son bumped his head today leaving me in tears Ma, I wanted you around to hug me and say that it would be fine. "She is happier than the Happy Child, Sadder than a sad child"

I don't know why I cried, while my son went back to play in a few minutes. The day I was selected in my first campus interview and gave Mom the news, she was ecstatic. She was much more happier than me and I could see pride twinkling in her eyes. She had not slept the day before and I knew while she was sincerely wishing and praying that I should be selected, she was also preparing herself of how to calm me down if I were rejected and upset. When I expressed my wish to marry the person of my choice, she was in tears not because it was against her wish, but because she didn't want me to lose in the battle that awaited. Noble is the soul who wouldn't want her child to lose even if it were with her own self.

It has been two days since I brushed my hair and I wish you saw me Ma. "Any day her baby"

Everytime she sees me with unbrushed hair, she would find time to pull me aside and comb my hair till she gets satisfied with the texture. Never once does she mind the fuss I made about applying oil and gently remove the knots and fix my hair to shine. When I had my baby, she was with me taking care of hers and mine with so much care and love, attending to every minute detail. My heart is filled with love, gratitude and happiness every time I think of those days of togetherness. No matter how old I am, or how old she is, I know I am her little baby princess girl.

They tell me that I smile like you, and it makes me thrilled Ma. "Role Model for Motherhood"

Till date I make the dishes she taught me from her foolproof recipe. But I still end up thinking "It is not as tasty as hers". I know why. She added lot more of the love potion in everything she did for us and I am learning to get better like her.
    She is strong, yet so vulnerable,
    She is predictable, yet takes me by surprise
    She is cool, yet sticks to rules
    She is forgetful, yet remembers
    She is simple, yet so beautiful

Ma, I remember you on every small incident that happens on a daily basis. I strive to be atleast half as good as you as a mom. And if I am anywhere near you, I think my children are blessed. Ofcourse we disagree on so many things, have our rough days, but I lived in you and we were "one" for a good number of months, so patching back without a strain can’t happen in any other relationship but for ours. Nobody knows me better than you, loves me more than you, wishes me good like you. Wishing you "My mom", every mom, to-be Moms and those great ladies filled with maternal love for every child as if they were their own, the mom in every child and the child in every mom, a very happy Mother's day.

2. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

I am just silent..after reading this.Kind of tugged my heart to read this. Well written.My best wishes to win this contest.

3. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much Shubha. I myself felt very emotional after writing this up. Am so glad you liked it and made you silent. You are so encouraging as always.

Gayu

4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Lovely post Gayu !
    You brought back the nostalgic memories of my mom. Thanks to you, your post is written with sincere feelings and emotions well depicted
    Jaya

5. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the feedback Jaya. Am so glad it reminded you of your mom.

Gayu

6. CrocodileTales

CrocodileTales New IL'ite

Gayu,
    This was the best post I've read in a long time. It came straight from your heart and pulled at all the strings in mine and every other reader's I guess. Every word of your post is true. Sacrifice hormone...good one :) We realise the beauty of our mums only when we become mums ourselves.
    Regards,
    Pal

7. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Hi Pal,

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. Very true, we understand motherhood even better when we become a mom. Am so glad you liked it.

Cheers,
    Gayu

8. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear gayu,

Excellent craftmanship and superb penmanship !

You began with little pencil sketches , a few water colours here and there and ended with a beautiful creation in oils on canvas !! Your mother's portrait could not been painted so devotedly by any other artist than yourself !

Immensely absorbing and a loving tribute to her on Mother's day.
    regards,
    PAULINA

9. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Dear Paulina,

Excellent feedback, am so touched to hear this. The simile you have exhibited is so admirable and I really loved it. Thank you for visiting and the great feedback. You made my day today :)

Cheers,
    Gayu

10. infinitehopes

infinitehopes Bronze IL'ite

Dear Gayu,
    I liked the moments you captured and how you remember you mom often! Its very nicely written.