1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Watched Meenakshi Sundareshwar Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rihana, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hearing mixed reviews from friends. Is it worth watching? 2 hours 21 mins is a long running time.

I am a little hesitant as it is not much fun to watch non-Tamilians portraying Tamilians in a Hindi movie.

2. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

I loved the story. Only problem I have is why this obsession over Rajinikanth? Like you said there is some artificial weird feel when non Tamilians portray Tamilians, like they think they get it but they really don't. But just story wise it is good.

I dont understand why it had to happen in Madurai. It doesn't make any sense. And they kind of talk in 3 languages. So I really don't know what language to classify this movie as.

3. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

I haven't seen the movie, but the trailer looked okay. Of course, one should have low expectations when watching movies where one state is portraying another state. I have seen 2 states and Chennai Express. Although Chennai Express had a ridiculous storyline, it did manage to make me laugh in the first half. In a way, it exceeded my expectations. 2 states was a disappointment. I did not really like the book itself because I felt it was biased and racist. The movie didn't add much to it. Somehow when it comes to the portrayal of South India, the filmmakers don't do enough homework. They just don't count the South Indian audience.

Rihana likes this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Yes Story is good. Sanya did good job.

Rihana likes this.
  5. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

From the trailer I feel they are typecasting as usual. It feels so unnatural. Why does it have to be Madurai? If the story line is about ldr them why madurai and america. It could be Nagpur and america as well. Atleast it would not have received these many negative comments

Ranchu, Rihana and anika987 like this.
  6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

for a story telling if Madhurai and Bangalore (not America) is chosen, and as part Madhurai culture is shown I believe. Coming to language, it is same like how indian stories made in english language, not suitable, here and there they add some native language words and dialogues.

sarvantaryamini and Rihana like this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Anyone can act in any language if they are good at acting (Kamal Hassan, Sridevi) , thats why it is called acting.

Rihana, chanchitra and KashmirFlower like this.
  8. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

The trailer did not convince me to watch the movie ! I may watch this on an airplane or if left with no other better selection. I liked the movie pagglait starring the same lead actress.

Rihana and chanchitra like this.
  9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

We are watching this movie currently during family time and that is never more than 30-40mins :) So not in one sitting, but we will finish watching in a few days. So far so good, can watch once just to kill time. Kids are having fun watching it in Tamil with English subtitles - haha.
    Madurai is simply because the movie name is Meenakshi Sundareshwar!

Rihana likes this.
  10. Ruby2019

Ruby2019 Gold IL'ite

Felt both actors did a good job in their acting. Story line is simple and cute. A bit funny at times. Family friendly and easy to watch kinda show.

It’s a paka Tamil family but speaking in Hindi in Madurai. Really makes you continuously ask ‘why why why’ during many scenes. Granted you can speak any language in any state but if I’m a Hindi family living in Madurai, I would be more Hindi and following that culture vs Tamil culture. So that’s where it gets confusing.

Rihana and anayasree like this.