1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone taking B12 vitamin shots and Vit D tablets?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, May 9, 2009.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

My B12 ,B6 and Vit D levels were low and doctor advised me to go for B12 shots(once a mnth for 3 mnths)and Vit D Tablets(50,000IU) once a week for 3 mnths.Then I did a blood test to check the counts again.Now they are stable but doctor wants me to continue with 1000 IU of Vit D once daily and B12 shots once a mnth.Anyone else in the same boat? Is this really necessary?

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Ladies... Anyone there???:roll:

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Sunitha:
    I would go with the doctor's advice as allopaths in USA rarely prescribe vitamins so your doc must be pretty sure you are in need. Also recently I heard that in N. America, because of our latitude, Vit D defiency is rampant. Additionally, anyone wiht a darker skin will not absorb Vit D from the sun AT ALL for six months of the year so Vit D is mandatory. Vit B shots normally make you feel so much better I am not sure why you would want to stop.

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Tashi,I don't want to stop but I just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat.Also,I was wondering how long I will have to continue with these tablets and shots.Is it not possible to get it from our food itself?

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The thing is with vit D, you cannot get enough from your food. Even whites in N. America have vit D deficiency in the winter and darker skins have less ability to utilize what sunlight power we have here in the winter. South Asians should all be taking vit D in the winter in USA/Canada/Europe. As to the B deficiency, that is more manageable with diet. Did the doctor have any idea how you got it? The reason I am saying this is that if you are having the same diet you always had, would you not continue with your deficiencies? That being said, I would think that after you get over your deficiencies, perhaps you can be maintained with a regular daily vitamin. I would talk this over with your doctor's nurse on the phone as she will have the doctor's notes and can give you a better idea of what to expect.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Tashi.My doctor too said the same things regarding Vits D and B12.I have a nerve problem which causes involuntary twitching in my left eye and cheek area.My doc feels if the vit levels are stabilised,it could help.I hope so too.

7. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Madam:
    Why dont you check up with Nutrilite?
    If u need help, I will refer you to Dr.Girish Desai, who is a medical doctor and expert in this field.

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunitha,

If you are a vegetarian (no meat), you wont have any sources to get B12 except Milk and Tofu. These days all the milk are fortified with vitamin D. Are you the kind who run miles away from milk (like me???). If you don't want to drink plain milk, mix with badam powder and have. Try to eat lot of yogurt, that should help stabilize your vit D level. For B12 its your liver that produces it from the intake of B12 rich produce, may be for some ppl it doesn't work because their system is in that way. Try increasing milk/yogurt to 3 cups daily (24 fl.oz) and see if you can find any difference.

-Uma

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Sunithaaaaaa.. adadaa....

I am with you buddy.. I had B12 shots for 3 months.. last year...
    As Uma said lots of yogurt and milk... and lots and lots of cheese ;)... it helped.. ... try it out.. I eat egg matum, its also good...

My doc asked me to discontinue the shots after 3 months though..

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thankyou all.

Paanzaa(sir/Madam??),what is Nutrilite?

Advitha,I love milk,even without sugar is ok with me,but I will definitely run away from curd and yogurt.I am a strange creature,I can take curd is forms like avial,morkuzhambu/morkootaan,raita but not as curd or yogurt!:crazyI already consume 3 cups of milk a day ,maybe I will now try to increase curd consumption in ways that I mentioned.Tofu,never tried till date and we are not great fans of cheese or paneer either.

Nandhu,same pinch.Atleast someone 'was' in the same boat as me.

If it was just a deficiency,I would be ok.But this nerve problem(hemi-facial spasm) is something I've been having for more than 4 yrs now.Consulted atleast 2 neurologists(one in India,one here) and now a neurosurgeon.If it is HFS,it should be a regular thing,but for me it keeps coming only during fall and goes away within 3-4 months.So,I think that made the doctor think it had something to do with sunlight and hence Vit D and the internet also tells something like that. Since it started when I was in India,how could absence of sunlight be an issue since I was in Chennai all the time.Stress adds to it and stress could have been an issue in my case.This time however,it started during fall and has not gone away till now.My neurosurgeon asked me to wean my baby so that he can prescribe some other tablet.Otherwise,he himself suggested to go for homeopathy.:hide:Now I am going to meet the neurosurgeon again since I have weaned my baby for the past 1 week .Have to wait and see the effects of the new medicine on me.:bowdownI'm finding it very hard to concentrate on anything with this eye twitching and the worst part is when I have to drive!!

Last edited: May 22, 2009