1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone successfully following weight training at home - share ideas pls

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by pman16, Aug 17, 2014.

1. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

I always wanted to incorporate weights in my routine but feel lazy to do so. I go for drop in aerobics or yoga class and hence cannot do weights. Anyone doing it regularly at home please share your ideas.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

PMan - Have you tried one of the Jillian Micheals work outs? My friend says her body sculpting ones are good. I don't do strength work by myself because I already have an injury and don't want to worsen it by doing the wrong thing. Why don't you look into a trainer for a few sessions, the trainer will be able to show you the right routine and then you can buy some free weights and continue that at home.

HTH,
    L

3. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Hi pman :hiya
    Did you start your weight training at home?
    I have just started with Jjillian Michaels 'No more trouble zones'. Hoping to do it for a month regularly and looking for company.

virtualkv2020 likes this.
  4. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

Have you had any weight training experience before? When you do it at home - you should be careful with form ,else you may hurt yourself.
    1) Buy pair of 3 pound and 5 pound dumbbell. If you dont want to purchase a dumble now, then start with two 1 litre coke bottles, fill them with water (they are almost a kg- 2 pounds) and start with them.

2)go to fitnessblender.com . Its a great website with a whole lot of weight training exercises. Choose one for beginner level and start with correct form and posture.

It is a great idea to incorporate strength training atleast 2 to 3 days a week. especially for women.

virtualkv2020, Laks09 and deepslikes like this.
  5. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

Hi.. yes, I got an almost flat stomach last year by including strength training.
    I am 20lb heavier now, so hoping to repeat last year's routines and get toned again.
    Thanks for the web site, I will check it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I like to revive this old thread as I workout at home and love to have some fitness buddies.I am huge fan of Jillian Michaels workouts.. her cross training workouts helps to lose inches (fat loss).

7. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

8. Rakshini

Rakshini Silver IL'ite

Hi pman
    Great that you're continuing your cardio.nut if you add strength training your body will get excellent shape
    For ex ,things,upper arms,butt,abs.
    I am doing a little since I have 1 hr , within that I have to finish both(baby at home)
    Cardio and strength can be combined daily or one day for strength.my personal opinion s combination of both bcos you won't feel tired or bored
    Dumbbell can be used (2.5 kg s also available).use can try half squats,stepping with weights.abs workout can be done.
    If you do cardio,it will burn calories buy strength training will give both (burn calories and you metabolism will be high for whole day and toned body)
    Before lifting weights confirm with your doctor (recent surgeries etc ) amount of weight also should be gradual and increase the repetition.concentrate on all areas
    Upper and lower abdomen,thighs,butt,arms,etc
    Hope this helps
    Beginning s little tough when you start you love to do bcos you ll see a lot of changes in your inches
    Good luck