1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

To moderator,
    I understand this post was directed to Dr.preeti. My response is in the best interest of the person going through. Hope its OK
    Thanks and Regards,
    Cliona

2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I am 5 month pregnant and having tooth pain in upper end tooth. I can't take any treatment for it. What can I do in home to relieve the pain ???

cliona likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for responding and providing your credentials. It is a very helpful response.

cliona likes this.
  4. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi @deepthivinayak1,
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    First we need to determine the cause of the pain. Please consult a dentist. If it is due to collection of plaque and tartar then cleaning using ultrasonic scalers with is a painless procedure should relieve. If pain is due to cavity which is very deep then root canal might be needed. Root canal can be done during pregnancy( ofcourse, sitting on dentak chair might not be very comfortable during 3rd trimester). These are the most common causes of tooth pain.
    There are some other causes such as new tooth coming out(wisdom tooth) or tooth coming in wrong direction(impaction) gum infection, food impaction etc.... which has to be treated accordingly.
    Usually except cleaning and root canal.. other dental procedures are avoided during pregnancy unless really required.
    Home remedies for tooth pain is frequent warm(note warm and not hot) salt water gargles. Brush twice with soft brush. I advise not to take any over the counter medicines.
    Please let me know once you have gone to dentist. I have a 3 month old baby. So i am bit busy but i will respond as soon as i see IL.
    Take care
    Cliona

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Laks09 likes this.
  5. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for response. I checked with dental doctor and they said I have cavity in wisdom tooth and can remove only after delivery. If I have pain, I can take pain reliever tablet.

cliona likes this.
  6. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Yes, Only paracetamol is the safest painkiller. You can do warm salt water gargles.
    Take care
    Cliona

7. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have been having toothache due to tooth sensitivity (I guess) since last 4 weeks. I also find that Im grinding my teeth unknowingly, I dont know if this start as a reaction to sensitivity or it caused sensitivity. I am currently using Sensodent and Colgate sensitive toothpastes, but I still have toothache. Please suggest something to relieve it.

8. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

HI @ShabnamF
    Is the sensitivity there only from last 4 weeks or even before that? Is it in one particular tooth or many teeth that is sensitive? How is the duration of pain? Is it during day time or while sleeping? Is it while chewing? Is it more due to hot or cold food items?
    Is there any cavities in your teeth? When was the dental cleaning done previously?
    Yes, due to grinding habit also the outer most enamel layer gets worn out and exposes the second sensitive layer called dentin. This could result in sensitivity.
    Incase if the sensitivity is due to grinding, then use any of the good sensitive pastes and apply on the tooth. Leave it there for 10min so that the active ingredients in the paste have time to work on the tooth.Do it 2-3times a day. And make sure you are using soft brush to brush your teeth. Some people brush very hard thinking it will reduce sensitivity. On the contrary, this is going to increase it. Always brush with moderate pressure. And if possible use Bass method of brushing. At least try brushing in "up and down" fashion.
    Cavities also cause sensitivity. Weak gums also cause sensitivity. According to the cause, treatment plan varies. You have to visit a dentist to check if these are the causes.
    Regards,
    Cliona
    (dental surgeon)

9. Sri2196

Sri2196 Silver IL'ite

Hi @cilona
    My sister had cavity in her tooth therefore filling was done..she also has front tooth sticking out..so when we enquired with the doc to get braces,he advised to get an x-ray. The results showed that there are some tooth at the back of the mouth which is not erupted yet(she is 18 by the way) and they are ingrained in the bone i.e they are in sleeping position. So he said they will have to be removed by performing a surgery. Otherwise it may cause problems in future. For putting braces,he said four teeth will have to be removed two from upper and two from lower side... So I just wanted to ask does that pain badly,i mean the whole procedure. Will it have any affects on nerve given that teeth in good condition gonna be removed. Thanks in advance

10. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi @Sri2196
    If you are asking me regarding the pain related to the procedure, then let me tell you that the procedure is most commonly done using a local anesthetic injection given inside the mouth. So, the part of the mouth where injection is given will become numb and the surgeon removes the tooth. (please make sure that the removal is done only by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon who has done masters in dental surgery). Post removal instructions should be followed strictly and the course of antibiotics and painkillers should be taken correctly.
    Personally I have also got my wisdom tooth removed due to same causes as your sister. There is nothing to worry. Post removal, definitely it was tough to chew food for few days and discomfort will be there. But it is manageable. Request your dentist to remove teeth on one side in one appointment and other side after a gap of 2weeks. Since if one side procedure is done, patient can chew on the other side. Very difficult if both sides done at the same time. Although people get it done sometimes.
    Thanks for the query. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Regards,
    Cliona
    (dental surgeon)