1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pav_3

pav_3 Senior IL'ite

Hi Dr.preethi/Hema,

you both are doing a great job here:thumbsup.Coming to my problem, i am experiencing severe pain on my left side wisdom tooth for the past 3 days.sometimes,the pain is very intense that it hurts all over my left cheek and even my ears.i tried so many home remedies but of no use.
    i am taking pain killer(i actually dont want to) for the past 3 nights to minimize the pain and to get some rest.i have a 4 months old baby and i am breast feeding him.
    My question is Is it safe to take painkillers while nursing? is there anything i can do other than taking pain killers to reduce the pain until i meet a dentist?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

thanks,
    pavi

2. rechu

rechu New IL'ite

hello friend i need your help.
    actually it is about my sister, she is sufering from the problem of excess salivation. it is severe soon after rising from bed.is this any problem related to teeth.actually she is very much worried about this.hope you will give a remedy for this problem.
    take care

3. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Rama ,

I am really sorry for the delay in reply. I did not visit this thread for sometime..

I shall subscribe to this thread today.

Coming to your problem. The dental expenses are way too much in this country. It is better to have an insurance soon. Till then.. for your wisdom tooth I suggest you could go to a Dentist and have a consultation.. ( which you have to pay however ) Probably they could give you an antibiotic. This with the pain killer is defintly going to help you till you can get it extracted. Only a pain killer will not really help for the reason because the disease-causing bacteria is very much alive there and pain killers only work on the nerve endings to inhibt pain. So one the action of the pain killer is done.. the bacteria's activity troubles all over.
    You could also do gargling with salty warm water for every two hours and this will really keep the area aseptic.

I hope the Dentist you visit gives you an antibiotic . Take care.

4. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Pavi,

An answer to your question partly lies in the answer I wrote to Rama.
    But to the question about having pain killers during lactation.. ther would be a list of cautions in the literature that comes along with the tablet box. You must read it to see wether the drug you using is safe during lactating.
    There are some drugs which cross the placenta likewise gets absorbed to the breast milk as well. As your son is growing now .. everything you intake ( drugs ) must be prescribed. What you can also do is visit your Gync or Pedtrcn and ask them to suggest a painkiller and antibiotic that can be safely taken while you breast feed.

Take care.

5. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Rechu ,

Let me explain your concern with questions and justify those too..

Saliva is produced by the glands and swallowed so quickly that we hardly know there is smething like that in our mouth. Sometimes.. the swallowing becomes lesser than the production or the production is more and the swaloowing becoms lesser.. which is why it gets accumulated in our mouth . Each time you take the saliva inside.. it goes up and lines the stomach which is producing gastric juice. So it actually is protecting you from the acidic produce inside your stomach.

How old is your sister ?
    - Because it could be hormonal changes.

Is she pregnant ?
    -Usually woman tend to have a little more saliva than usual during pregnancy because of the nausea and vommiting they go thru.

Does she have it " only " when she awakes and not during the rest of the day ?
    - She could be probably doing less swallowing during sleep and this also depends on what she has had for dinner. If she has a heart burn.. it means there is acidic produce.. this will irritate the throat and make the glands to produce more saliva.

Is she taking any tablets for any other medical problems ?
    - There are many drugs which causes excess salivation.

Does she notice it during her mid-menstural cycle or always ?
    - Again this is hormonal for few women.

Does she have a decay ?

I listed everything together so that you drive to a conclusion yourself and do not have to wait again for my response nor do I have to.

However.. if the problem is thru out the day and she is not pregnant then probably she could try chewing a gum ( which will make her swaloow more often ). She needs to avoid anything oily or fried for dinner.

She can have lots of liquid and eat small meals thru out the day ( if she is pregnant )

Over a period if nothing of the above stands good and doesnt help.. then a visit to Dentist is a must.. to rule out the following -

Wether her salivary glands are not hurt.
    wether her gastric condition has to be evaluated
    any decay that needs to be filled
    anyother medical conditions.

Hope this helps.. take care..

6. rechu

rechu New IL'ite

dear dr preethi
    my sister is 21 years old.i think she is suffering with this problem from her school days.we dont paid much attention on it but recently i had noticed that she has excess salivation when she wakes up and the production continues till she brushes her teeth. her periods are regular.she is a little weak .her weight is 40kg and now we are thinking about her marriage so i decided to find out a solution for her problem.she had decay but we filled it .but she has very clean habits and brushes twice or more in a day .currently she is having some vitamin tablets on the prescription of a dermatologist to prevent hair fall but this is an old problem . now i think it started from her menarche.on morning her mouth is totally filled with saliva.i had noticed it only before a week and worried that would it may cause any problem with her future and whom should we consult. hope you will help me.take care

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  7. rama57

rama57 New IL'ite

Thanks Preethi for the reply.

Rama.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Rechu ,

It looks like related to hormonal. However I suggest you take her to an Oral Surgeon. Get her salivary glands and mouth checked. Sometimes.. it could not be due to dental problem it could be something related to stomach. But first see an Oral Surgeon. Looks like you are in Kerala. It is all the more easy in India to visit the Dentist . Nothing to panic, Rechu. It can be cured. Do not worry at all..

Take care..

9. Asha25

Asha25 Senior IL'ite

Dr Preethi tomorrow I am going to oral surgeon and they say there going to pull out my broken wisdom tooth and the other 3 wisdom tooths..so my question is how am I going to eat after this and is it going to be a lot of pain?? Also I am very a scared to go tomorrow what do I do?? is going to be very long and painful will they hurts me???
    Thank you Asha

10. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Dear Asha ,

I dont say it will be painless.. but yes it is better for you. No pain no gain isnt ? Dont worry and anticipate horrible pain. It may just be far less than what you can imagine. I dont say this as a doctor I say this as a patient as I got all my 4 wisdom teeth removed in one go..

You will definitly have swelling of the face and eating will be difficult atleast for 2-3 days or upto a week. You can have lotts of liquid and soup ( warm ) ...
    You need to avoid -
    Hot food , sucking thru straw, gargling ( for 2 days atleast ) , brushing that area ( you could rinse with a mouthwash instead ) , spicy and hard food, meddling the area with your tongue, do not put a new cotton ( dry ) yourself unless the doctor gives you one.

What you can do -
    cold pack ( for the swelling ), have the pain killers prescribd without missing a dose, have a soft and cold diet.

The whole procedure will not be too long unless it is an adamnt tooth !! :) Moreover here in US they sedate the patient before procedure unlike in India so it must be a cake walk !! Dont worry and just get rid of those 4 fellas who are doing nothing good but trouble to you !!

Go, Brave girl !! :) Take care and do write back if you have any concern..

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008