1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Moved To Canada From Usa?

Discussion in 'Indians in Canada' started by gknew, Sep 18, 2020.

1. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It depends where on the West Coast you are moving to. The Bay Area is crazy expensive so you have to make sure the salary will cover your living expenses. Buying a house there is also extremely expensive if you want good schools and reasonable commute.

gknew likes this.
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

But if at all you want to move to Canada, getting transferred is the best option because of high CRS points.

You can try staying there for few years if you like else you can get transferred back to US.

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Yeah. But I am not sure if they process a h1b again if we want to come back to US. Our current h1b will not be valid right? I don't know much about this process. Have to study more about it.

shravs3 likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

There are many Facebook groups, forums and YouTube channels regarding Canada migration, Moving from US to Canada etc. You can check them.

gknew likes this.
  5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I have lived in several places in the USA. The east coast (Maryland), Texas (Houston), Georgia, Indiana, and now we are in California (not in the Bay Area but still HCOL). Before moving to the USA, I lived in Scotland for sometime. Cold doesn’t bother me. I have learned the magic of layering.

Personally, I never thought too much about the place. I always looked at the university I was going to work at and the people who I will be working with. I bought my first house (Condo) in Atlanta before getting green card. But I wasn’t married and didn’t have to think about kids.
    I know now with the kids that many things need to be considered before buying a house especially the school district. We are lucky that we both have good paying jobs to be able to afford a house in our city.

Canada or USA, wherever your life is more peaceful and less stressful, go there!
    Good luck!

Angela123 and gknew like this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @nuss for the information. I really appreciate it.

Please share your knowledge about layering clothes during winter. I am very poor in that and suffer a lot during winter. Even a mild cold wind and weather take a toll on me.

We don't have a house here in USA. Thought of buying one soon if we stayed back here. As you said, choosing the school district is the biggest and difficult task.

You have been in so many states. Which state do you like or recommend for good living irrespective of their job and personal preferences.

nuss likes this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you @blindpup10.
    We have been told that we should move to Toronto if we choose to move to Canada.
    Is ur SIL moved from the USA? How do they finding it there? Do they feel any difference in there? Are they liking it?

8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

you can always goto Canada. spend 6 years, get your citizenship - do not mention this to any government or friends casually though , come back to usa and work in TN visa. it is not having so much issues like h1.

h1 is messed up. very good decision. we thought, now dh is 40 . he will loose points , also i am not sure i have energy to settle in new place.

parkha is a type of clothing, which can handle harsh winters. canada has had a huge immigration . however jobs are less. so your dh might need to be extra competitive.

Ramyarc likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I liked Georgia and California the best. I wasn’t a big fan of Texas or Indiana. I was a graduate student in Maryland so probably didn’t see/ lived in the best area and my opinion comes from where I lived.

I like Georgia because it is affordable and has great weather. I felt the weather to be similar to Delhi where I grew up. A one day trip and you are at the ocean. I loved Sapelo island and Savannah for a few days trip from Atlanta. Also, the proximity to the Great Smoky National Park allows a weekend trip in this absolutely beautiful place. Indian food is easily available even for delivery.

California especially Northern California where we are is again full of beautiful lakes, mountains, and national/state parks. Within half an hour drive we can be at a beach or in ski resorts. There is no dearth of things to do. But it is an expensive area of the country. On the other hand, so much fresh produce comes from central California that eating healthy is so much easier here.

For layering up, you’ll need to spend money on the quality pieces. Once you have the basic layers, these will be good for years. Buy some silk or silk based long underwear (REI is a good place and the store in Atlanta is well stocked up). Those are your basic layers when you know you will be out in cold. Cashmere sweaters (Merino wool is good too) and wool pants or fleece lined leggings under dresses add warmth. Winter/ snow boots with fur lining is a must if you are going to spend time in snow otherwise knee high leather boots with wool socks (boot socks/liners) will keep your feet nice and warm.
    A cashmere wrap (scarf), a beanie hat and cashmere lined leather gloves are what you need to survive harsh winter.
    On a -20F midwestern winter day, I would wear long underwear, a dress with fleece lined leggings, Knee high boots with liners, a cashmere sweater on top of the dress and then a long wool coat. Once I am inside, I take off the sweater and coat and boot liners and I won’t be too warm.
    If I am wearing wool pants, I will wear ankle boots with wool socks and long underwear. You can make any combination as long as you can take layers off once inside and layer up when outside.
    These combinations help me look professional while staying warm. I like cashmere because it keeps me warm without adding bulk (sweaters are so thin still so warm).

The main thing is- you need to spend on quality stuff and slowly build up your winter wardrobe. I buy cashmere sweaters, scarves, gloves etc. from Macy’s or Talbots on sale. All the other layering stuff (silk long underwear) I bought from REI about 10 years ago and they are still good).

gknew and shravs3 like this.