1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone lost 20 pounds lately? How?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by soccermom, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Happy Friday...Ladies,

Can someone give a list of items of everyday cooking item that has less carbs, more protein, less cholestrol.. etc..?.. that will be greatly helpful..

Just curios,

Does workout alone helps us get rid of PCOS?

- shilpa

2. shikamadhav

shikamadhav New IL'ite

:iagree:iagree:iagree

3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I have pcos too. Definitely get your bloodwork done and check your sugar and insulin levels. If yours are borderline or high, then defintely try a low carb / high protein diet and that will greatly help you in keeping the pcos under control. Daily excercise is also a must, I generally did aerobic type activity (treadmill, elliptical, walking etc) for 45 minutes a day 5 days a week and lifted some light weights at home for 15 minutes every other day. increasing your muscle mass helps your body control the pcos symptoms.

follow a low carb diet in which you are consuming atleast 80gms of protein per day and no more than 175-200gms of carbs per day. and at each meal, you must eat some protein, don't make it an all-carb meal.

per my accupuncturist, pcos also causes your body to be highly estrogenic so avoid or limit high estrogen foods which include apples, barley, beets, carrots, cherries. chickpeas, coconut, cucumbers, high fat dairy, non-organic eggs, eggplant, fennel, wheat, garlic, yams, papaya, peanuts, peas, hot peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, sesame, soybeans and tomatoes. moong daal is also a big NO since it causes your body to become cold and damp, which is one of the causes of pcos.

you can eat plenty of asparagus, sprouted beans (except moong), brocoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, green leafy vegs, green beans, lemons, melons, millet, okra, onions, radish, summer squash, zucchinni ,organic low fat milk, organic low fat cheese and organic low fat yogurt, organic eggs and white rice. meat products if consumed should also be organic. poultry is better than red meat.

i found it funny that my accupuncturist said dont eat chappati, eat rice but for some reason it seemed to work for me! to be extra healthy, you could use brown rice instead of white.being a pakka north indian used to my rotis I experimented and tried to make chappati atta by mixing 1/2 cup wheat flour with 1/2 cup of other types of atta eg millet, ragi, bajra, besan etc. The taste gets taking used to but I used to add some mdh paratha masala and salt to this to make it taste better.

hope this helps!

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

HelloPooja
    You write that having milk first thing in the morning will raise sugar level - so wht can one have with coffee ? maybe skim milk?? please can you suggest thanks.

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I meant don't drink a whole glass of milk first thing in the morning.. a few spoons in coffee or tea should be fine.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I need atleast 1/4 cup of milk skim is that too much or maybe i should try fat free half and half?

7. GayathriSundar

GayathriSundar Senior IL'ite

Hi Chitra,
    The reason that skim milk raises your blood sugar is that it has no fat. The presence of fat will make the milk longer to digest and convert to sugar. And hence the blood sugar does not increase abruptly.
    The glycemic index of whole milk is 30 and that of skim milk is 32. But both these numbers are considered low.

I would recommend that you continue to have your coffee with skim milk. You could eat something high in protein and/or fibre along with your coffee. This combination would not spike your blood glucose levels. I would eat a handful of almonds while I had gestational diabetes with my morning coffee (instant decaf in 10 oz skim milk).

Gayathri

8. priyanathan3

priyanathan3 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

This thread is really gr8 n encouraging! i always found it difficult to reduce wt through exercise! Exercise has never given me fruitful results! I have reduced 15 kgs in past! (b4 marriage) but after marriage after coming here, sitting all alone at house i cant find any other thing to do other than to munch food all the time! so i gained 13 kg in just 9 months! i am really clueless how to reduce wt! i tried following all the diet but in vain! not able to continue! And also my body condition has become v bad, cos i missed my periods last dec n jan! i m not preg but trying! doc has adviced me to reduce wt b4 trying! So i m kindof desperate now! plz hlp!

9. beesidhu

beesidhu New IL'ite

Hi ...after reading all here ...i am going to try one more time ...can someone suggest a simple diet plan ...or any sites to recommend ? Thanks ..need to loose some weight ..Bow

10. boons

boons Bronze IL'ite

--

what is low carb. what do you eat?? can u post the diet schedule and have u lost some weight?? i think i ll be the last of all. i need some advice in diet. i am a pure vegetarian and i think rice is the culprit. i know i should control!! still addiction is too much.