1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone In Usa Tried Planting In Grow Bags

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by deepthivinayak1, Apr 23, 2020.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Thank you very much @DDream. Will watch these videos. I do have some wooden planks and logs already at home.

Wow! @MalStrom - Did a quick read. Lasagna gardening sounds like exactly what I need. I have collected a lot of composting material but my small-storage tote turned "composter" is already full and I've been wondering whether I need to invest in a professional composter. This might solve two problems at one go! I am going to read all about it. i would really like a border because otherwise rain might wash it out, or squirrels and other night critters could access the vegetable scraps. Let me see if I can create a border with what I have at home. Thank for you introducing me to this concept.

MalStrom likes this.
  2. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Check homedepot. I saw 8 * 4 for 76$.

startinganew likes this.
  3. deepthivinayak1

deepthivinayak1 Gold IL'ite

Greenes Fence 4 ft. x 8 ft. x 7-10.5 in. Original Cedar Raised Garden Bed-RC 4C8T2 - The Home Depot

startinganew likes this.
  4. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

I followed instructions from this link. My bed is 8x4 most of the work is done by DH, I just helped. Also, we didnt buy a lot of soil, because I removed grass from the lawn and tossed the dirt, it gave me some volume. So all together with the bed, soil and nails, we spend around $50 for the bed. But we already had some tools, that cost is not included. We might add more soil later. I have attached a photo, not sure it will show up.

Attached Files:

startinganew likes this.
  5. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

startinganew likes this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It has always managed to stay in place. I do put a good layer of mulch (straw or regular hardwood) about 5 inches deep after planting, so that seems to help. And the soil usually settles a bit by the end of the season but the ground underneath also becomes more easy to work.

startinganew likes this.
  7. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I am having a little bit of difficulty imagining how it will work without an edge. If we are trying to make layers that are together 6-8 inches high, then when we make a medium size hole to put a sapling - won't that much soil be displaced and slide out of the sides? Will it look like a mound with a flat top rather than a flat raised bed?
    Also did you mean to say 5 inches of mulch or 0.5 inches of mulch?

8. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Looks so well done!!! Great job by your and H. :)

Angela123 likes this.
  9. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I use these beds mainly to plant vegetables. I take out a deep handful of soil so it doesn’t displace much. And I do usually put on 5 inches of mulch. It keeps weeds down and also cuts significantly with the amount of watering. I get bulk mulch delivered from a landscaping company in spring and the lawn mowing crew spreads it out.