Anyone In Qa Job? User Testing?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by anika987, Sep 15, 2021.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

One of my friend got a job as a QA after a gap of 15 years and also a remote optio but she got it through a friend and asked me to try out the option.

Out to curiosity,What is user testing?Is it difficult to learn and does it need coding?

I have no idea about QA.

Is it possible to find a job after a huge resume gap in the above field?

2. madhat

madhat Platinum IL'ite

Try this website to get a hang of user testing. I have been doing this for the past few years.

Get Paid to Test

Usertesting is nothing but making sure the digital aspects are glitch free. Be it an app or a webpage. You may or may not need to know coding. But it is always good to know ' Html' incase you are testing a webpage. It would involve making notes about the errors in the app or webpage you need to test.
    The basics and the curiosity to learn and fix things without having the fear of messing it up in the first try but having the confidence that it can be fixed again, is more than enough for starters. You can then try to learn the nitty gritty gradually.

I come from a science background and did PGDCA in India before I got married. I had absolutely no clue about the math they were talking in class because my math knowledge was only till 10th. But I sailed through the then courses needed which were common to the MCA first years. Some of it PAscal, Cobal, Fortran etc, the then popular coding languages. I learnt Visual Foxpro and did my project and built a library system for my college.

I am sure you will be able to manage in the job. If your friend has suggested and is referring you, I would suggest that you go ahead and take up the job offer and see how it goes. They might give you training too.

Try that website . It is very easy and their pay is not bad for each project you undertake. It is mostly testing the webpage or app and reporting to them either through audio or written way.

All the very best.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Rihana and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Madhat:)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    madhat likes this.
  4. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Following this thread for inputs.

@madhat it will be hard for a beginner to use the website you mentioned as we would need some guidance to get started. Watching youtube videos adds to the confusion. Is there any kind of volunteer opportunities to get hands on experience? Or any company hiring and giving on-the-job training would be more perfect.

anika987 likes this.
  5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Here is an open secret. No one is going to want to give volunteer opportunity so one can learn the skill and leave for greener pastures. Its not worth it.

Learn on the job but show some kind of previous knowledge is the way to go. Its okay if you don't know much, but be able to convince that you can do the job.

Programming is a big plus, but not necessary to get into a job. But spend sometime learning SQL.

SQL Tutorial

If anyone is looking for some knowledge, it would be SQL knowledge and maybe how to test a web application with tools.

If you have learnt SQL, learn a scripting language. Preferably Python which is simple enough but is used widely even in regular coding.

While there are advanced testing tools, it will different from company to company and they will not expect you to know it.

lavani and anika987 like this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

guys..anyone who is in a QA job..I have one query.

I spoke to couple of consulting firms and was told I will be placed in a job as a QA in user testing and I will need to give some amount in installments also for the training which will be for few weeks.

I have zero idea in coding or any programming languages.Both told me that is not a need and it is an entry into the field.

How scary or tough it is to be in QA..I am ready to put my effort but I do not want to do something and later regret.

Is it a tough and high stress job?

7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I don't know about QA in particular but easy/hard depends on how much effort you can or will put into it. I always tell myself and my students that it's better to try and fail than not try and regret. I don't think you will regret trying something. At least you will learn that it wasn't your cup of tea. but if you don't try you will never know whether it was tough/ easy, high/low stress.

There are things that I find stressful (for instance teaching a large class) while I enjoy things that others find hard (for instance grant writing). It all depends on what our strengths are.

Good luck!

anika987 likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you nuss

9. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

This is the kind of reply when a beginner asks for help/volunteering opp. I don't think this is right because in US there are volunteer opps. Volunteering is meant to get an insight into the real job so that one can get into it if they like it. Like tax preparation.

10. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

DEV -- high stress because need to code
    keep updating yourself. otherwise out .

QA - high stress -
    because you are limited resource - means companies do not want to spend money . you will be supporting multiple projects.
    expected to work on late nights because of new upgrade or during production deployments to ensure sanity test of the product.
    expected to automate
    expected to learn business.
    first get blamed if there is a production bug by the business -- then the developers get a** kicked

now pick the stressful job you like

everything is tough, if you like it it will not be tough.

How scary or tough it is to be in QA..I am ready to put my effort but I do not want to do something and later regret.

what does that mean. why would you regret something you put effort to learn.

i feel you are in a comfort zone. not much pressure on money and where you want to test the waters. taking ideas will help. but you have to take the leap. lets say you get fired also. you will learn what you did wrong. and move up for next role. it is how it is.

Rihana and Minion like this.