Anyone in and around North London

Discussion in 'Indians in London' started by positivesolitude, Jun 12, 2008.

1. positivesolitude

positivesolitude New IL'ite

Hi everyone

I live in Cardiff but my husband has recently moved to London due to work related purposes and comes home only for the weekend...This arrangement is quite strenous esp since I have to look after my daughter all by myself and also work.We decided to move to London but since my husband comes home for the weekend ,he doesn,t have much time to do his homework on areas and houses etc...He works in New Barnet...any suggestions rgding good and safe areas nearby...Someone at his work suggested he buys in welwyn garden city...how is the area in terms on stay,work ,schools etc...any other suggestions also welcome.

Thank You

Priti

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Priti:

Welcome to Indusladies. I wish I could help you with your query but I am farther north, so no idea about New Barnet or Welwyn garden city. But by what I have seen on google Welwyn seems to be a better area of the two.

I'm sure if any ILites know the area, they will provide you some information.
    Hope your move closer to London goes fine.

Sindhu

3. positivesolitude

Thanks for your reply Sindhu.Where abouts do you live and how far is it from New Barnet.Thanks

4. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Priti:

I live in Milton Keynes which about 60 miles from London. I'm guessing we are about 45-50 miles away from Barnet. I just googled the 2 towns and we are about 42 miles apart:)

Sindhu

5. positivesolitude

Sindhu

I was wondering how Milton Keynes is to stay.How are the property prices to buy and what about kids schools.We are wondering if it would be ideal to buy in MK and commute to London to work...Any inputs would be appreciated.

6. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Priti:

Sorry for the late reply.

Milton Keynes is a quiet place, not much to see. But it is a prosperous city and lot of businesses are moving to MK due to it's proximity to London.

Property prices I would say are pretty good for the seller:) - maybe a little on the higher side when you compare with other cities up north. But these days as is everywhere, property sales are sluggish. The downtime for a sale here is 3-6 months. Earlier it was weeks or a month.

There are a few good schools here and the closest Grammar school is at Aylesbury, which would be an hour from here.

Commute to London on a long term basis I am not sure - but there are lot of people who do it. My friend used to commute to MK from London but since she found it tiring she moved to MK. Whereas I have another friend's husband who used to commute to Wimbledon everyday (he doesn't mind the drive on the M1!!!) bonk but he has got the option of working from home - so the arrangement works for him. Having said that the train service is pretty good.

Doing the commute for a few years is fine - that is my opinion but honestly it depends on the individual.

Hope this helps.

Sindhu