1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Here Take Nerve Medications And Metformin

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by gknew, Apr 6, 2022.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi. I am having some chronic pain in the face and neck, which none of the doctors couldn't find what's the issue after imaging and tests.

I saw a Rheumatologist rheumatologist recently and he told me to try nerve medicine. I tried different medications and nothing helped with my pain.

So he put me on another one now. But I gained lots of weight as a success effects of that nerve medicines.

It's not few pounds and I am talking about lots of weight gain. And the Dr said it's totally expected to see weight gain with that
    He said he can put me on metformin tablet to control the weight. And asked me to read about it and get back to him.

I see that metformin tablet is for diabetes. I am not diabetic. My recent blood work shows pre diabetes range.

He said they prescribe low dose metformin for people who gained weight by medications, birth control pills etc. I am not sure if it's true. I don't know the side effects of metformin either.

Any of you taken metformin before?
    Thanks for reading this post.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I took metformin for about a year some time ago and then stopped, but it was diabetes-related. My mother has been taking it for a long time also for diabetes reason. I have heard that some doctors might recommend metformin for weight loss as an off-label use. Perhaps that’s what your doctor is suggesting.
    I didn’t notice any side effects while I was taking it. My doctor recommended some diet and lifestyle changes and that helped bring down my HA1c into an acceptable range so I discontinued it.

3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks Malstrom.
    I have been told about diet and lifestyle changes with workout routine. But I couldn't do much beacuse of my pain. I am dealing with this for 2 years now. So the Dr suggested I can try metformin till I am able to do workout.

One of my friend was on metformin and have seen few side effects.like stomach issues mostly.I think it depends on individual though.

Is your hba1c value increased after you stopped the metformin?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

No, the value has remained steady. But I have to follow a careful diet and I try to exercise every day, otherwise it tends to creep up.

5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

i took metformin because i had pcos and trouble having 2 kid. stopped after 1st semester

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Start with small steps if that’s all you can handle in the beginning. It took me a long time to work myself into a good routine. Trying to fit in a walk, eating a little more salad every day, making sure to drink 8 glasses of water a day, things like that.
    My doctor had cautioned me about the stomach problems that might have come up with metformin but luckily I didn’t face it. My mom also hasn’t had any side effects.
    Did they test your thyroid too?

gknew and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Taking B12 is mandatory if you take metformin as it can drastically reduce B12 levels in your body.

Also did you try visiting Chiropractor? Sometimes alternate medicine helps in such cases

gknew, KashmirFlower and stayblessed like this.
  8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

@gknew
    May be you should check with another doctor, if doctor not able to diagnose how can they treat.
    I have autoimmune condition for several years, these kind of steps helps me to get going. I have to try each one and see it works for me and then adopt. I am reading lot of books also.]
    I suggest listen to them to get overall idea that how we are not eating right and getting inflammation in body. Please watch leaky gut episode in this channel and others.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVINYOg5zyBaRdhPwuSmw0o9cXqcL0usH

gknew likes this.
  9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

MetFormin is taken for reducing insulin resistance also. My friend took it and it helped her.
    @gknew I just want to caution you that medicine should be last resort not first. Clearly your current lifestyle and food habits are not suiting your body and it is manifesting in all these problems. It may be tough but you have to make the effort. Diet and exercise are a pain yes and I struggle with it myself but ultimately it’s better for my body than taking medicines and becoming dependent on them life long. You posted earlier also I remember about wanting to walk but the shoes were wrong and you got hurt or sprained something. Do the diligence get the proper shoes or buy some weights and just do it. Start small. In the long run the cost of the shoes and the weights will be far less than the medicines your body’s dependence on it and dealing with the side effects.
    I’m not anti medicines but should take only when there is no other option. Doc herself is telling you to exercise then take it seriously. Hope you don’t take what I said negatively. I follow the same myself. And you are young. Your body will heal and bounce back quickly with the right diet and exercise. Nothing can substitute for that feeling of good health. In short, it’s really worth it.

10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Oh ok . Glad it's back to normal level.
    I am very nervous to start this pill and of I suddenly stop it, I may end up gaining weight gain.
    I am taking so many medications in the last
    2 years for my pain and I do know that it has its own side effects.