Anyone got progesterone shots to prevent premature labor?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Soulsong, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    I am close to 12 week pregnant. This is my second child. I went into premature labor at 34 th week during my first pregnancy, and the doc had to stop the labor and i was on bed rest for a week and i delivered a week after that. Since i have this history doctor said the chances of that happening again is more this time. So i will have to take progesterone shots from 18 th week onwards..
    has anyone here went through something like this? So did the progesterone shots help? What about the side effects?

Pls share your experience.
    Thanks in advance ladies

2. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Not progesterone shots, but I did take progesterone gel to be applied vaginally and I believe it did really help.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gossipgurls

Gossipgurls Silver IL'ite

Congrats on your pregnancy,

I had a pre term loss at 27weeks, I'm again pregnant with my second child, I have being on progesterone shots since 16weeks , at 22weeks my cervix got short and emergency cerclage was done and now on bed rest ...trying to make it to 37weeks.

I had lot of positive reviews on progesterone ,so I'm trusting it going to be good fr cervix.

Take it easy ....and stay off your feet whenever you can , gravity works against us in theses cases.

4. SUBHAARCHIE

SUBHAARCHIE Gold IL'ite

Hi soulsong,

I was on progesterone for my 1st pregnancy as i did not conceive it normally and my 1st one was a clomid baby...doctor suggested it as preventive measure from preterm...and as you all know my 1st one was a full term baby (42 weeks) so this time no progesterone...so there is nothing to worry..and all will be good...

1 person likes this.
  5. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much sweetshreya,gossipguris and subhaarchie...
    That was useful information.

6. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

hey gossipguris...sorry for your loss first time and congratulations on your pregnancy .
    My doc said i may have to start with shots from 18 week onwards..
    So do you have any symptoms associated with the progesterone shots?

i am sure it will work for you dear...hang in there,very soon you will be in your 37th week and your bundle of joy will be in your arms...safe and healthy.

7. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    my update...
    i had my 12 th week appointment yesterday. Everything looks perfect. She asked me if i want to get the progesterone shots as a preventive measure... Or else i can just enjoy the pregnancy and see how it goes, if any contraction develops we can take care of it then.
    But i thought it better to be safe than sorry..so i agreed to get the shots. It will start from the 16 th week till 36 th. Once a week a nurse will come home and give me the shots. As far as precautions..doc said i dont have to restrict anything now...she dont see any risk factor now. And whatever i do now is not going to effect the cervix length. After 16 weeks she will start monitoring and let me know if i need to change anything.

Though i had contractions last time (34 th week)doctors could stop it.. I was just on bed rest for a week and i delivered my baby at full term.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gossipgurls

Gossipgurls Silver IL'ite

Glad to know everything went well!!!

Good of luck with everything , just enjoy

9. srinithivasan

srinithivasan Silver IL'ite

Hi soulsong,
    I went for scan at 17 weeks. Doctor told cervix measures 3.3cm, having chances of premature labour.
    I have given progesterone shot for weekly once and Duvadilan tablets to avoid premature labour. Also advised to be at complete bed rest.
    Again going for scan on Monday. Much worried about this issue.

10. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

hi srinithi...
    I heard from my doc that progesterone shots really works... So everything will be fine. Take complete rest dear and Worrying will cause more harm. do what you have to do and be positive. You are in my prayers dear.