anyone from kampala-Uganda

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by Mahajanpragati, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear ramya,
    do not fear the ugandians(africans).they are one of the friendliest people on earth.we have not faced any problem here till now........& as i mentioned in various previous posts give love & respect & get same in return.treat everyone nicely & get treated in same way in return.within days you forget the colour & start liking the people.

DPS school is okay if u want kids to stay in CBSE otherwise Aga Khan school is there following international syllabus with lots of asian kids......other international schools are there which u can check online by putting inquiry on google........

malaria is rampant here but with necessary precautions u can easily stay uninfected.....we sleep under the nets but many don't ........still that is the best precautions.start the habit from day one & then u simply can't sleep without net.....

Africa is not the only one which is shown in media with skeletal kids,warring tribes or poor people...........there are many faces .i can say with confidence that you are going to love the place & will be soon comfortable.....
    uganda is a very pretty green country blessed with wonderful weather & friendly people.

power cuts are there but not very frequent.look people from europe who have never seen power outrage will complain if power goes for an hour but we from india are used to these small discomforts..........moreover usually exparts like you will get inverter from company & you hardly notice when power went & came back............
    pls,feel free to ask anything.......hope it helps
    pragati

2. Ramya3

Ramya3 New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,
    How are you? Thank you so much for the reply.It is so helpful.Have a great day.

Regards,

Ramya Thamilarasan.

3. ashishnagpal

ashishnagpal New IL'ite

Dear All,
    I got an offer from Ninja and employer offered $400 for local family expenses other than net saving income, company will provide furnished family accommodation and car .Is this $400 money is enough for living there to meet local and expenses.Pls tell me.

Ashish Nagpal

4. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    jinja is nice place with lots of indians .
    400$ seems too less............what about expenses like school fee, maid,cyclinder,electric bill, water bill...........i guess company is paying that............still it depends on number of people in family & life style.
    1$ =2600 ugx(ugandian shillong)
    roughly flour 1 kg=3000ugx,milk 1 lts= 1500ugx,dals almost all 1kg =8000ugx,onion 1kg=2000ugx,sugar 1kg=2800ugx,tomatos 1kg= 2000ugx...........
    dinner outside for 2 will start from 20000ugx upwards.

pragati

5. October

October New IL'ite

Hi everyone,

I have lived in Kampala for more than a year, simply loved the place. Would love to go back, If anyone is aware of any recruitment agencies offering work to Indians plz let me knw. Thanks in advance.

6. tarunjain007

tarunjain007 New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

Can you help me with how much do HouseGirl (maid) will charge, if we keep her for cleaning and cooking.

Also what about the doctors in Kampala are they usually charge the same rate as in India (say INR 300 per visits) or expense.

7. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    a full day housegirl will charge anything between 1,50,000 UGX to 2,00,000 UGX per mth..................docs have a consulting fee of 15,000 to 20,000 UGX but the govt hospital is really good though i have never been there but it should be less expensive...........there is an Indian hospital Norwick (i have no idea about their fee also)

8. Skanand

Skanand New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,

Thanks for helping so many by answering so many queries.

I would like to know about the scholl fee of DPS and Heritage and Indian International School. Heritage I guess as per info available on their website is too expensive...however no website found for DPS ?? My kid is 4 years old and in KG. Which one would be better option ??
    Since I am planning to move with family, do we have Hindi entertainment channels on TV like Star, Colours, ZeeTV etc.?? Any movie hall like in India ?? How is the communication system like mobile and internet ??
    Any kind of airport baggage rule ?? Kindly revert.
    I might have few more queries.

Anand

9. Mahajanpragati

hi,
    DPS doesn't have any website but its fee is quite less..........your child who is 4yrs can go to some playway school which are really very good.Indian International school is new & hence i have no idea about it...........Aga Khan international is also within budget.........it also has a website.

the City Cable has all indian channels but the time zone difference will mean that a 9.00pm movie will come by 6.30 pm in evening which i feel is good with kids .........

there is a multiplex which usually have atleast one Indian movie ..........u can get CDs of indian movie .....
    there is good internet services with speed better then that in India(we use orange)....lots of airtime providers , indian telecom gaint Airtel also there & prices are competitive....almost 240 shillings per min to India.

kenyan airlines have a baggage allowance of 40 kg perperson & so does Ethopian Airlines.........but service wise Emirates is best though its double in fare .....
    ALL THE BEST........pls feel free to ask anything more
    pragati

10. kumarchitran

kumarchitran New IL'ite

Hi,

I have got a job offer in an IT company in Uganda. I am married(no kids) and plan to bring my wife in couple of months.

I will be moving in by Aug 1st week. I would like to know the following details.

1. Internet connectivity in kampala, Uganda-speeds, tarifs??-I prefer unlimited connection
    2. safety? what I need to be beware of in my day to day life in kampala?
    3. company is providing a car-however how safe is it to plan weekend trips (alone and with wife)/ what do i need to keep in mind when planning one?
    4. I hear the prices for essential commodities vary every day there- true?
    5. How are the people, what do I need to keep in mind when interacting with them?-mine is an Afro customer facing job role.
    6. pls suggest good areas where I can find neat and clean apartments(gated community)- preferably amongst Indian community. rent range? how do I get them?
    7. cost of living- utility bills(electricity, water), grocery?cooking facility-LPG?
    8. What all I need to bring from India ? items that are way too costly in kampala.

At last, what in your opinion will be the amount required in USD for an Indian couple there to live with all basic comforts.

It will be a great help if anyone could throw light on my concerns...:)

Thanks,
    kumarchitran