Anyone from Australia - Please help me

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by banu211, May 8, 2011.

1. banu211

banu211 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am a software professional in a MNC, Chennai. My husband is also working in software. We have a 3 months old baby. We are planning to migrate to australia/nz.(Mostly aus).

I have few quries.

1. How to apply for <ACRONYM title="Page Ranking">PR</ACRONYM>?
    2. And how to apply for jobs?
    3. Some reputed agencies in chennai
    4. Planning to write IELTS , which coaching centre is good at chennai?
    5. What about the opportunities for Mainframe in Aus?

Please reply

THanks,
    banu

2. shano

shano New IL'ite

hello friends

we r a small family including a 1yr old currently working in ireland just got our 457 visa for a job offer in epworth richmond as a nurse. could any one plz give me ur thoughts abt cost of life if we rent a small apt for around 350 2 bed

can we survive on 2500 aud monthly

plz help our employer has offered us lafha.will it make a difference.my income is 65000 basic annually . around 33 perhr

plz reply

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hello!

I have been here in Australia for sometime but have completely lost touch with everything now. There are so many different types of visas these days and you know, until a situation arises with us to find out more details, one never looks into it. So I could be of no help really but would share just a couple of things here.

Banu - I am talking many years ago here. Questions on migrating is best directed at a good migration agent. I am not sure which is good in Chennai at the moment. We had approached an agent called VISAIDE in Chennai about 16yrs or so ago. Don't ask me the address please because I know they had moved offices. They were somewhere near Fountain Plaza and then moved to ???.

With the release of the new budget just a few days ago, I did hear the mention of intake of skilled migrants (do not know which category though) for the rural areas. That may have some impact on the selection criteria. So, it is best to check with the agents. Only way to possibly look at a good agency is word of mouth, personal contacts or if nothing helps to see how long the agency has been doing this for. It could give you something to work on.

On finding a job, the best advice I can give you is - you have to be here to find a job if you have not already found one. I am no I.T person, so unable to help you there dear. I hope you find more information soon to help you make a sound decision.

Shano - Congratulations on a job at Epworth, Richmond! Initially when you are setting yourself up, always expect expenses to be more for a few months. 65K is a pretty good salary and Richmond is a place where you really can not expect a very spacious apartment for $350. Not because it is not good, but because it is very popular and so rents are high. But these days the rents seem to be high almost everywhere. Almost all of the eastern suburbs of Melbourne are the most sought after and for you esp being close to work. $350 is per week. Initially, for a family with a child, just one person earning $2500 per month (is this before tax or after?), will be cutting it too fine until the other person also gets into a job and then life becomes a bit easy going forward. I am not discouraging you but you need to be prepared for worse case scenarios. I am also assuming that you would have some monetary reserve with you to dig into initially.

The cost of things for our daily use have increased for sure but not dramatically that one can not afford it at all (barring bananas and ginger these days - they are exorbitant due to the recent floods we have had).

I am not sure if any of these have helped at all or not. Hope everything works out well for you both. I probably should have started by saying - Welcome to Australia! :).

1 person likes this.
  4. shano

shano New IL'ite

thank you soo much 4 ur valuable advice ,yes we do have some start up money,i believe as 65k is basic income i would make approx 5000a month after taxs . coz i hope to get extra by way of shift allowances,holiday extars,weekend pay

in the long term hopefully 2500-3000/month expenses is it doable
    is it easy tofind odd jobs for my spouse for the time being .plz advice

thankyou:cheers

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

5K after tax per month is good. 2500-3000 per month is certainly doable, according to me. Finding jobs - the first one is the hardest. Odd jobs here and there I am sure is possible but don't be surprised if it takes time.

6. shano

shano New IL'ite

knotshare once again a lot of appreciaition on ur post.do u know of any nurses working in epworth richmond and were they live ,how they travel to work etc.

:bowdown

7. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hello!
    Sorry I couldn't come here for the last couple of days. Life really has not been a walk in the park lately. To answer your question, unfortunately we have no nurse friends in Epworth. I know of somebody through somebody else who is a nurse but in another hospital. I know that she drives to work. Most of them end up driving to work I think.

8. shano

shano New IL'ite

thank you sooo much knotshare.honestly thought sabt u getting fed up abt me askin too many question did cross my mind. :cheers
    we will be relocating next month, if it is possible can u give me some details of were we can buy home appliances (washinf machines,fridges) for reasonable cost or used one.
    also abt getting broadband, landline phone deals in melbourne city(richmond):bowdown

9. banu211

banu211 New IL'ite

THank you so much knot2share.. you have given valuable info...

10. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Well it will be cold next month (maybe not as much as you have in Ireland), but it is cold and June is the official beginning of winter in Melbourne. So be prepared with warm clothes. When we moved to Melbourne, we visited this shop called Good Guys. They are still pretty competitive with their rates. But you could try even Harvey Norman. For used ones, you can look on ebay, but I personally think that is a pain. If making a payment in full is difficult, there are interest free terms when you buy and it gives you ample time to pay off every month in bits (although it says interest free, I am sure they have added cost to it before offering :)). But this scheme helped us when we were trying to settle down initially. We always managed to pay it off before the interest period kicked in.

About broadband and landline - I am not really sure who is better these days. Telstra is a big name here and they own most of the infrastructure. You could start off with them first and then as you get to know a bit more from friends and word of mouth, you can always change.

For broadband, I think getting one of those mobile broadbands (in a USB stick - if that makes sense) would be the way to go initially. That way you are not tied in a contract for 2 years or something and within 24 hours or so, you are able to connect to the net. You can carry the stick with you always and use it if u also carry a laptop. You can recharge it and use it again.

Different people provide this mobile broadband service and I really don't know who has the best deal. If you go to a shopping mall or something, any of the shops selling mobile phones will have info on mobile broadbands. We recently bought OPTUS mobile broadband but there is hardly any signal in the place we are at the moment :-(. When you buy mobile broadband, just remember to ask how the signal strength is in the area you live. No point buying something that won't connect for you!

For international calls, NEVER USE TELSTRA! I say that with a passion...heheh! Use phone cards to make calls to any place outside Australia as that works out cheaper. Lots of companies out there who offer cheap calling cards and good call rates. Any Indian grocery shop will have some calling cards for you to buy and use...............

mmmmmmmmmmmm that is all I can think of right now. Please remember - these are just guidelines for you and don't follow them to the T.