1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

anyone form maryland

Discussion in 'Indians in Washington DC' started by vaidehi, May 23, 2007.

1. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Anybody fromGaithersbug(maryland)

Hi there!

Anyone in this forum from gaithersbug, My husband is moving too this place by october this year, would really apperciate if someone outhere can help us out abt the location,its people and culture .

we also have a 3 yr old kid ,soi m really worried abt his schooling and all, and this is will be my firts visit to Us too so i m not aware about the culture, little anixious as well as hesitant whether we will be able to adapt ourselves to the surroundings

you feedbacks will be of great info to us.

cheers
    vaidehi

2. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

hi there!

We r moving to maryland, this october. can anybody help us out with the climate and surroundings there . And what should we look out with respect to accomadation,schools etc .

This is the first time we r visting US so we r clueless abt the culture and the conditions in US

Cheers
    vaidehi

3. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi,

I live in Texas but my cousins live in Maryland. The weather currently is warm around 75F - 85F. But winters are freezing in Maryland. Guess you need not worry for atleast 4-5 months abt the cold.

You get almost everything here but a little more expensive than India. But manageble. If you know how to make masalas, pickles so on then no probs, but otherwise it's good to bring them. Make sure that they are all sealed properly. US customs may sometime ask you to open ur lugguage and throw food stuffs out but they usually let go if they are packed and sealed well. Bring the basic groceries that can sustain you for a month and then once you settle down, it would be fine.

Do ask the doubts you have and there are many of us here who can help you forgot these worries.

Have a lovely day.

4. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi lalitha!

Thanks for the feedback, i really apperciate indusladies for this warmth which it has been giving all its members thru this site.

U have made me little comfortable abt the thought of comming to US.

Do you have any idea about schools in and around maryland? since my son is 3 yr old we need to lookout for a pre school for him. Will he have any kind of problem in adjusting with the kids there. since its going to be totally new environment for him.

ur quote "see always inside" is very good and unique.:-D

Cheers
    vaidehi

5. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi,

Let me know where in Maryland you would be staying and I'll find out pre-schools/montessori's closer to/in your area. School usual start in August here, so admission should not be a problem. I'm sure your kid's going to love it. Kids never have a problem as they usually get friendly and accustmed to the new culture, environment and people. You see, they are still new to the world so they are in exploring stage. You'll be amazed to see your kid speaking American English very soon.

You too will get accusomed and start liking the place soon. Don't worry, there is always Indus Ladies to find people living in your area to keep your social craving satisfied.

My inspirations help me to see always inside... so the credit goes to all of them who keep my inspiration go on.. :2thumbsup:

Good day.

6. sahi

sahi New IL'ite

hi vaidehi

i live in baltimore ,maryland.
    which place in maryland are u going to come.since u'll be coming here in october its going to be a bit cold.winter starts from nov to almost mid-march.
    but u can feel the chill from end of september itself.

there is moderate indian populalation in maryland.there are some indian grocery stores and indian restaurants also but initially u'll need to get some indian stuff with you.
    maybe like some masalas and powders ........

once u get used to u;ll start liking the place.regarding schools ,if you tell me which place i can give u a good idea about the schools.
    since your kid is 3 yrs old he will have to go to pre-school until he's 5 yrs old.
    let me know if u need anymore info.

sahi

7. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear,

Welcome to USA. Anyways, about you r topic, what to bring to USA:
    Here almost everything is available and let me tell you that you will get so many varieties of a single thing that you will be confused at first and within 3-4 months, u'll get to know the things. Like when I first came here (Just after my marriage and I had never done any household chores like cooking/shopping groceries), I was confused to see 4-5 varieties of potatoes/eggplants/milk/curd etc. Really it was pathetic for me then, but now I am all set with this environment. I hope that you will probably not face these problems.
    If you have some more time in India, just learn as much cooking skills/dishes from ur mother/MIL or even your fav. cook, you will need those skills here when you will feel an urge to eat the specialities of your mother.
    I missed that so much in the begining that I started asking about the recipies while chating to her. Now, at least I can cook some delicacies, ok it never tasted like my moms home-made item, but at least I have something to eat.
    Eating out is a big problem here if you are a vegetarian. I only go to the resturants with my office-mates and the things (not in all, but mostly like Korean/Chinese/Japanese) I can eat only is Salad bars or Omlets, that's it.
    Anyways, lets stop about food.
    Now, if you have jeans/pants like stuff then its OK but if you don't have those, I would really like you to get your things from India because its really difficult for skinny ladies to get good things. Don't carry too much Indian dresses because mostly people wear casuals to workplace/shopping and here ladies only wear Salwar/Sarees to special occasions or at times to office. But you can have a lot of Indian ethnic tops/tunics with embroidaries/mirror work etc. You know people used to complement on those dresses, it is really good to listen.
    Carry some matching jwelleries, inexpensive ones to match your dresses, that will be great if you are working or have an extra likings for jwelleries.
    Carry some ready-made masalas for at least 3-4 months, that will help you a lot in the begining.
    And if you have somebody over here then you can have some help in buying utensils/cooking vessels otherwise at least bring one small pressure cooker, one frying pan, some spoons/serving spoons/some plates etc for first hand cooking.
    Also, do try to bring some extra Undergarment pairs at first and by that time you will get used to the varities available here.
    I live in Maryland and the city is Rockville. If you will tell me at which place you are going to stay/live, I will help you letting you know about the shops etc.
    So, please be free to ask anything. I may have gorgot small things and if I will remember that, I will write those to you.
    Take care and have a happy journey.
    Meeta

8. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies!

Thanks each one of you for ur support and valuable suggestions abt the place. We will be put up at gaithersburg in maryland.

would like to know, whether this place has any temple nearby since we are very fond of visting temples along with family on weekends.

what you people do for enjoyment and relaxation during weekends? i mean does this place has significant amt of indian population to get along with.

cheers
    vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  9. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear,

Nice hearing that you will be staying at Gaithersburg. Its the sister city of Rockville and its a nice place and full of Greenery. I hope you will enjoy all these.
    Yes, there are few temples but none is near, you have to drive for minimum 45 mins to 1 hour to get there. The Siva-Vishnu temple is very famous here and so do the Iskon Temple.
    About entertainment in weekend, you can now visit the museums in Washington DC. They are very famous, like the Natural History Museum; Air and Space Museum; Postal Museum; Holocaust Museum; Indian-American Museum; then different memorials like Lincon memorial etc, The White House. So, there are plenty of places to go in weekends and also you are most welcome to my place for a visit. Also, you can go to different places in long weekends, such as New-York, Disney Land, Virginia, Los Vegas, Niagra falls and lot more places of your choice.
    About kids pre-schools, I have not much idea but you can always search in the net giving the city name and you will find some schools near to your place.
    But frankly telling you, you will never find much time to roam around places if you are working here. And the only use of weekend is cooking, doing laundry for the coming week buying groceries and lots of sleeping during day to feel relaxed for the coming week, because my weekdays are almost hectic like leaving the house by 7:00 am in the morning and reaching the home around 7:00 pm in the evening, so I prefer to take rest in the weekends.
    Don't think so much about different stuffs, be happy and do all your shopping and packing for USA.
    Take care and Bye for now.

10. bharatny

bharatny New IL'ite

Hi Vaidehi,

Today only i saw ur message in that fourm.. How are you doing?.. I am located in ellicott city. Where are u located?...I am just asking like friendship manner....

Thanks,
    bharathy.

1 person likes this.