Anyone done/doing Six Sigma Certification?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gayathri47, May 4, 2010.

1. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Came across "Sig Sigma" through some talks between people, so searched this on the internet.

Ok, so I kind of know that Sig Sigma is some kind of management strategy or something. It has 2 levels of certification - Green Belt and a Black Belt.

But, what I really couldn't find out is that what kind of people is this useful for? Would a certification of this look good on my CV (I am an IT engineer, 3yrs work. exp)?

Is it too difficult to study? Or easy enough.?
    I am planning to take an Ex.MBA degree in a few months/years (depends :bonk) , so would this course be usefull OR rather would this course be taught to me in MBA, so I would end up doing the same thing twice?

And which institute is the best for this? I think I should rather prefer an online course. Would online course become difficult to study as there is only limited teaching support?

Anyone who can help me here? :hide:

2. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    I just completed my Six Sigma Certification.Its a lot of concepts, tool, maths calculations for reducing the number of defects in a business.Its interesting and you can take the certification online or in a class.
    You have search your area for that.

3. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thanks rosegirl for replying.
    Is the course too difficult? I am planning to do it online - I think it would becaome become impossible for me to attend the classes.

If you know of a good online course please do let me know. Thanks :thumbsup

4. sweetroses

sweetroses New IL'ite

I did it online, but its a course in our local college that offered it online. Google Six sigma online course and you should get some institutes.

Six Sigma is tough because of the real life application and the value attached to it. Its got some theory which is easy and lot of tools which is pure formula and mathematics. You have to keep working out the formula and problems and take a lot of unit tests. Then finally when u are ready, u can take the final exam and get the certificate.

5. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

If u search online you should be able to get a course.Be careful about online institutes, research well before paying the fees.
    Six Sigma is tough.You have to work hard, do a lot of assignments, research and break your head over the mathematics and calculations part.
    But its worth it since its got a lot of value in the job market.

6. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thank you, I have been worried abt teh online courses too. I believe its just not save o hand over money to people who can virtually exist anywhere in the world and cannot be traced!

Thank you both roses :) (well, isn't that coinsident that both roses I know have done a coursein 6 sigma and are helping me to decide!)

I have a fair idea from you both that its more of mathematics and calculations to get results and quite some work but at the end it is value addition! Thank you for your immensely valuable words. I will keep you posted if I turn up with a good institute and decide to go ahead with it :thumbsup