Anyone considered or did R2A (Return to America) after R2i?

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by Nithya001, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am looking for views and experience after R2i. Did you ever feel the need to return to US after R2i? Do you know any friends who did that? I have posted here my reasons and feelings. Looking for opinions.

We moved to India almost 7-8 months back. Our main reason for the move was that our green card PD was very much retrogressed and DH got a job offer in India.

Our GC process is still on and now the date is current. DH was frustrated within a month after moving back to India. We faced lots of problems because we come from a small town in North India and moved to Bangalore which is a completely new city for us again. We do not have any family relations in Bangalore. Before moving to India we had planned to buy an apartment within a year so that we could settle down here itself. When we saw some apartments, we realized that most well-built one's are not within our budget (despite being returning NRI's). DH has started feeling that he should have stayed back in US and tried to earn more ! He even feels that it was a mistake to return. He has all ready started contemplating R2A. He says that once we get a GC and I can work in US as well, we will have much better standard of living there than what we will ever have in India.

I am somewhat apprehensive now, I want to settle down in India, since I am scared that now again if we try to go back to US what will happen? We are not very young now, would we be able to struggle and set up a life again in US? We are completely on our own. Our families cannot support us financially but we do not have any major financial commitments towards family.

1 person likes this.

2. priya8716

priya8716 Junior IL'ite

Hi Nithya
    You are not alone with the R2I - R2A dilema. A couple of our friends did this -- sold the house in US, shipped everything to India, then decided to return back. You will find more info on this topic on the R2IClubForums site. My personal opinion is that returning back to get the GC is a valid reason. In this day and age, the GC will be helpful. But you have to stay in US for atleast another 6 years to get the citizenship before you can move back. No point in getting the GC alone as you have to maintain residence to keep it current. Will that work with your overall plan? If you decide to stay in India, will you repent not getting the GC after 10 - 15 years? Questions to ask yourself and decide for yourself. Good luck!
    Priya

3. risingsun1234

risingsun1234 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Let me share my experience with you. We were in US for 6 years, had a son born here, went back to India thinking that we have returned for good. Had a daughter born in India, and when she was 3yrs old, my husband was not happy with the work in India and there was no career growth. so here we are again back to US. It is much pain with settling for us Ladies, especially house-wives than anyone else, men have their work, kids hav etheir school and they are really quick in adjusting.

2 people like this.
  4. scentofrain

scentofrain New IL'ite

so true. we are going to move back to US for the same reason!

5. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Nithya,

I'm sorry that I do not have any information about R2A. However, the above line caught my attention. Can we apply for the US GC and then move back? I thought we need to be in the country throughout the process.

6. jive

jive Junior IL'ite

My cousin moved back from Canada to Chennai and is loving it there coz he has family. He bought 4 houses and rented them. has a full time maid, nanny and cook. Has a car, software job, kids goto fancy rich schools. All in all a good move for him. He struggled in Canada without family and with 2 kids. In India we get cheap nanny and maids and if you managed to save enough dollars, its easier to buy and tenant flats. Bangalore is too fast, high cost of living and congested and won't give a home feel. I lived there myself and didn't enjoy it.

7. jive

jive Junior IL'ite

Gud luk with ur move!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  8. jive

jive Junior IL'ite

Amen sis!! So hard for migrant ladies and we are the worst affected amongst everyone. Especially when its cold and wet and we are home bound!! Grass will look greener in India then but can't help it...

1 person likes this.