1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Buy Cold Pressed Oil(chekku) In Usa?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by deepthivinayak1, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I didn’t realize that GM’s oil is extra virgin coconut oil. We fry papad, fish, etc in our EVCO. Even I found out later that EVCO is my GM’s coconut oil. We also use it as a one stop med for all ailments. Burn - apply GM’s coconut oil, itch - apply EVCO, heart attack - Ammamma’s coconut oil is actually good for the heart(all these docs beeeeh).

KashmirFlower likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Coconut oil, is back in favor (used to be blacklisted, because it is not an unsaturated-oil )but now it is so good, it is going into everything.
    Even in your morning coffee. In another thread, about Intermittent fasting, there was a question about whether or not cream can be added to coffee, while in the fasting timeframe. @AmulB, and @Rihana point out that it is OK to have a little cream in your coffee. However, coconut oil in your coffee is much better than cream -- so long as you can drink your coffee black.
    Coconut Oil in Coffee: Is It a Good Idea?

Coconut oil has become increasingly popular among people following the high-fat, very-low-carb ketogenic diet.

Adding it to your coffee can help you reach or maintain ketosis, a metabolic state in which your body uses ketones — molecules produced from fat breakdown — as fuel instead of glucose, a type of sugar.

Maintaining ketosis on a ketogenic diet has been linked to health benefits like weight loss, improved blood sugar control, and reduced heart disease risk factors

Coconut oil can help you stay in ketosis as it’s loaded with fats called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs).

Compared to other fats, MCTs are rapidly absorbed and immediately delivered to your liver. Here, they’re either used as a source of energy or converted into ketone bodies .
    IMO, when articles/stories use the phrase "loaded with", go on your guard.

AmulB, Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  3. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

No worries!

I was stunned as I am using coconut oil for past 2-3 years but on medium heat and for fry I use canola oil..I didn't get a chance to analyze the key facts but no prob always posting our answers help others to research..

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Cooking oils with high smoke points are good for deep frying -- [vadai, poori, appalams, bajji, bonda, etc. etc.]. Cost, as well as "the acquired taste" of specific foods determine which oil we choose for deep frying. For example, Keralites might want everything deep fried in coconut oil, but for some other acquired-taste, like Bengali's for example, might want Mustard oil for a lot of things.

In Indian cooking we use shallow frying [cutlets, fish, for example] and surface browning on pans [e.g.,meats]. Our acquired tastes drive the choice of cooking oil in these cases. The amount of oil is quite a lot less than in deep frying.

And then there is TADKA. The process of infusing the flavor of spices into the cooking oil. The least amount of oil is used in this case. Instead of splattering mustard in an oil, could one add a few drops of mustard oil into the TADKA ? Why not..eh?

And then there is the consideration of optimizing the number of items in the pantry-inventory. A case of Less is More.

As deep-frying is slowly phased out (we age, children leave home, what-a-hassle to clean the kitchen hood, new non-fryer in the kitchen etc. etc.) of our life, our acquired-tastes controlling what oils we'd want to store in our inventory, we rarely look up the smoke-points of cooking oils on the internet. When we hanker for a deep fried item, we can have that delivered, or order it when we go out to eat in a restaurant.

Very rare to find an institution/restaurant using coconut oil for deep frying, except perhaps for specialty items like Banana Chips [Palkaad, Kerala, western ghats region specialty]. This chips is made from slices of that extra-large-almost-ripe banana grown in that region. I forget the malayalam name for that now. We are all used to the hint-of-coconut in the after-taste of these chips, and the use of any other oil would taste really odd.

Avacado Oil has a very high smoke point. Also expensive, because of its caché in the western countries. This would be ideal for deep frying, or shallow frying, but will go on to produce a familiar item (like vadai or bajji or appalam) tasting pretty strange. Stoking a familiarity in the brain is how our tastes work. Sprinkle some Avacado oil in a cucumber sandwich in your High Tea serving one afternoon, and see how your friends react. It is just too good -- for palates of folks who had already spent a fortune on Avacado Toasts.... and their brains are primed to spark joy at the taste of Avacado between slices of bread.

5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You are absolutely right! When I was a very small kid, my granny's go-to panacea for all small kid pains, sprains, cuts and scrapes was a soothing 'oh never mind sweetie, here rub this coconut oil on it and it will go away by morning.' We used to laugh because she recommended it for each and every thing then, but now, I have come to realize and understand how amazing and full of goodness EVCO is. Back then the rural sourced CO she got must have been EVCO only.

Laks09 likes this.
  6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I use avocado oil for my occasional deep frying. Its not that expensive, I get mine from Costco. And nope no strange taste. In fact no added taste at all other than yummy taste of vada etc.

Amulet and Laks09 like this.
  7. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

I use Chosen foods Avocado oil from Costco for Indian cooking due to its high smoke point. I use unrefined sesame oil for pickles,chutneys,Lodi’s and tamarind gravies. A friend of mine uses Nutiva coconut oil for cooking and it’s refined version for deep frying.

Amulet likes this.