1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody taking statins after angioplasty??

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by chennaiwoman, May 5, 2014.

1. chennaiwoman

chennaiwoman Senior IL'ite

Hi

My husband has been taking statins after his angioplasty for almost 3 years now. But because of this he is suffering from severe muscle pain throughout his legs and also the tips of his fingers. We are considering stopping statins now after discussing with his cardiologist. Has anyone ever experienced such symptoms?? What if we stop statins? Any side effects? Anybody who knows anything about this please post.

Thanks

2. neetugtb

neetugtb Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear I'Lite,
    Statins are effective preventive for cardiovascular disease or lowering cholesterol but they deplete the body of a nutrient called CoQ10, the lower levels of which lead to fatigue and muscular pains. The enzyme plays a major role in generating energy. It seems particularly important for the healthy functioning of the heart muscle. So, the depleting effect can also affect the heart. However, most people when change to a different type of statin overcome this problem. So, the best thing to do is to let your cardiologist know about the problem and advise a change or supplementation.

3. chennaiwoman

Hi neetugtb,

Thanks for yr reply. We did meet our cardiologist and he suggested stopping statins for a 3-month period of time and then let him know if there is any improvement in symptoms. He has also prescribed a supplement and a different statin to take after 3 months. This seems to be almost similar to what you said. (are you a doctor by the way??)

4. neetugtb

neetugtb Silver IL'ite

No, dear, I am a web content writer and I have to check my facts right on the right sites otherwise people can get misled with fluff or spun, so before answering your query, I researched and consulted many medical sites. All the best!

2 people like this.
  5. chennaiwoman

Thanks neetu for all the effort you have put. Really appreciate it.

1 person likes this.