Anybody been to Manasarovar?..Need Info

Discussion in 'Travel' started by manjeeta_kaur, May 20, 2008.

1. manjeeta_kaur

manjeeta_kaur New IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am planning to go for a Manaswarovar tour which mostly consists of the Manasarovar Lake and Kailash Parvat and I have heard that it has many rules and regulations and it is open for a particular span of time also.There are even some medical restrictions also as I heard.I am eager to know whether we need any visa or not and what are a expenditures?

Lake Manasarowar at an altitude of 4727 m. (15,510 ft.) is the highest freshwater lake in the world. It is fed by glaciers on the Himalayan peak Gurla Mandhata and in the Kailash Range. It’s depth ranges to approximately 80 m. (262 ft.). It is connected to neighboring Raksas Lake but it does not drain to the outside. There are hot springs on the isthmus between the two lakes.As remote and harsh as this region is, it has been known and journeyed to for a very long time. For centuries this lake and Mount Kailash have been holy pilgrimage sites for Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Bon-po adherents.

IT is heard that there is a kamal(lotus flower) on the lake and who ever can see it is a lucky chap.

IF anybody has any information please share.

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Anybody been to Manaswarowar?..Need Info

Hi Manjeeta,

You've planned a beautiful and divine tour ! I've not yet been to this place...but wish to do so !

Hope other IL'ites can share their info about this tour.

Please share your experiences after your visit to this sacred place.Computer Typing
    Just reading about this gives me goosebumps and increased my yearning to go there.

All the best ! :wave

Cheers
    Krithika

3. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

My MIL and BIL are planning and it seems they need a visa for NEPAL.
    The cost for trip and food for one person is going to be around Rs 50,000.

They are having problem getting the visa for Nepal..so it will be finalised once these things are set right.

4. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi majeeta,

I donot have much information about mansarovar yathra, but I do remember that the announcement is made in DD channel.They call for application about 3 months in advance, and only a particular number of people are allowed for the yatra. There are two medical tests, one at delhi and another at dehradun( I guess). You have to pass both the medical tests.
    My school principal had gone to kailash, and she told us about her experiences after returning from the trip. It was indeed very interesting ti listen to her and she told of the stars taking dip in the waters of mansarovar at night.

All the best for your trip.Do share your experience here.

Regards,
    Yamuna.

5. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi manjeeta,

I found some info about the yatra on net.Search for `application for mansarovar trip 2008` in Google.com.
    The first link is an adobe file and must answer your queries.

Regards,
    Yamunaa.

6. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Manjeeta

I too like to visit the most serene place. I did receive some e-mails about some tours. If you like, I will send the tour names.

7. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Manjeet,

This is what I have and some description of Lake Mansarovar. Hope this helps.

HEALTH & FITNESS

Physical fitness to a certain degree is essential for you to enjoy your pilgrimage & tour in Tibet. You should begin a regimen of exercises and develop a walking habit, at least 3 to 4 weeks prior to the departure date.
    We recommend about half an hour walking & jogging daily. If you have a hilly area or sloppy roads nearby, using such trails for walking will help you to maintain the rhythm of your heartbeats. Getting used to cold water baths will protect you from the cold temperature of Tibet. “Drink more liquid & Pass more Urine” is the first principle of any high altitude tour.
    Since you will be spending a lot of time in high attitudes, you must not have any illnesses such as blood pressure, asthma or any other chronicle or heart disease, which can become severe, if exposed to altitudes ranging between 12000 to 19000 feet above the sea level. We strongly recommend all pilgrims to consult their physicians before joining the tour.

MAJOR HEALTH PROBLEMS IN TIBET

Altitude Mountain Sickness: Any journey to the mountains holds the risk of Altitude Mountain Sickness for all the low altitude or sea level tourists, as the bulk of Tibetan plateau lies above 3300 meters & the mountain passes are over 5000 meters above sea level. Mainly it happens when you undertake a rapid ascent without gradual acclimatization. Major symptoms of Altitude Mountain Sickness are Nausea, Lassitude, loss of appetite, dizziness, headache, irritability & dry cough.
    It is very important to follow proper acclimatization principles and accordingly we have designed all our itineraries giving proper time for acclimatization. Indo Nepal Holidays Pvt. Ltd itineraries for all overland tours & also Air Tours (including helicopter tour to Mt. Kailash) give proper time for acclimatization to reduce the risk of Altitude Mountain Sickness.
    Frost Bite & Sun Burn: Tibet is a place where one has a chance of getting Frost Bite as well as Sun Stroke, because in Tibet you are very close to the Sun & also because the temperature changes greatly.

8. nabanitapain

nabanitapain Senior IL'ite

Hi All Friends,

I have never been to Manasarovar and it is one of my dream place to visit .do not know when can I visit that place.
    But I have heard that there is age factor ,I mean only a certain age people are allowed to go there and do anybody know whether children are allowed for the trip?

Nabanita

9. sudarshana

sudarshana New IL'ite

Friends,

I have heard about the Manasarowar Lake a lot but it has a age restriction I guess.As I wanted to visit that place with my parents.So can anybody help me with the age restriction or some more things restricted for people above 50.

10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

After reading the travelogue written by travel writer Manjula Ramesh (in Tamil Magazine), my craving for visiting that place have gone even more up. Infact if I remember right, I had wanted to go to Kailash Parvat and Mansarovar right from the time I saw the movie Thiruvilaiyadal. I remember asking my parents whether we will be able to see Lord Shiva if we go to Kailash. I am a great fan of Lord Shiva. Wonder why I say so? I would have read and reread Thiruvilaiyadal Puranam so many times. He is one of my close to heart god.

The announcements come in the leading national newspapers also. And there are lots and lots of rules. I hope and wish and pray hard that I should visit Kailash atleast once in my lifetime.