Anybody been to Gangtok,Sikkim

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by nabanitapain, Dec 24, 2008.

1. nabanitapain

nabanitapain Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I would like to know if anybody been to Gangtok in the peak winters.One of my friends was asking about holidaying at Gangtok,Sikkim along with Darjeeling and surrounding places in the winter.I have visited those places in summer but never been there in the winters....
    IF somebody has visited or have any information on it please share it ....

or if anybody would like to visit the places...I can help them in that regards.I have visited that place twice but no experiences of winter holidaying there.....

Sikkim is called the Switzerland of Eastern India....Infact I went for my honeymoon at Gangtok,Sikkim...

People who travels to Darjeeling oftens visits the nearby Sikkim tourist spots also....among which Gangtok is the most popular one...and it is well known for the beautiful lake named Tsanpo .....

2. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

Hi Nabanita,

You are right, that Sikkim/Gangtok is a nice place for honeymooners, especially those into nature or wildlife. I visited Sikkim and Darjeeling in the last week of December, two years ago, and I had no problems with the weather there..it was cold, around 6 degrees Celsius but no issues like snowstorms etc.

However, a problem might present itself if one is flying in/out of Delhi while visiting Sikkim..The fog is at it's peak now, and flights are routinely cancelled or delayed.

Hence I would advise people to plan their travel keeping in mind a considerable buffer period for delays, especially at airports/transit points.

Cheers,
    Sowmya

3. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Hi Nabanita,
    Even i have visited darjeeling and gangtok in summer. It is a wonderful place.
    Have you visited northern sikkim, incase you have visited, can you let me know what all places you had visited and where you had stayed.

Cheers.

4. vsar

vsar Senior IL'ite

Right now I would like to tell that the situation in Darjeeling is not like before because of the Gorka Agitation there are frequent bandhs and the place becomes cut off from the rest of india. So avoid Darjeeling in the tour itenary :thumbsup

5. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Ohh...that was a very useful info Vsar. Thank you. :)