1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Any water falls near Washington DC?

Discussion in 'Indians in Washington DC' started by Cindhuja, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi all,

Planning for a trip to Washington DC and some vista points nearby Hershey park etc., for this long weekend.

Heard through someone about a waterfalls near Washington DC.If someone is aware about it plz do share here.Also would like to know if there are good beaches for recreation.It would be of great help if you could post it asap.Thanks.

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hey I am not aware .. but if you are AAA member they can help.. meanwhile I shall ask some friends. Hope you find it.. have a good time and drive safely:)

3. Prathyu

Prathyu New IL'ite

Hi, there is Great Falls in Maryland , it is the closest one i know to D.C. Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

4. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Dear AC,

Yes we are AAA members. Sure will check with them.Thanks a lot.

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi Prathyu,

I have heard about Maryland, but not familiar with the vista points.Anyways will check the tourist places and water falls in and around maryland.Thanks for the info.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

If you go to their office, they will give you a tour book and lots of other details maps etc.. its really a one stop place for you! have fun and safe trip:)

7. sriha

sriha Senior IL'ite

I went to Great Falls this week from Virginia Side. It was very beautiful and very scenic. Nice place to spend together as a family. But there is a snack bar which closes early. so better take all the water, juices and food with u and can have a real good time.
    My hubby told me that the falls from Maryland side u have to walk for abt 1.5 miles to enjoy the view of falls. But from Virginia side it was just 2 minutes walk to the falls. So plan it accordingly.

With Regards
    Sriha

8. ursnegithi

ursnegithi Senior IL'ite

Great falls is a good place to see, you can also do trekking there , they also have picnic grounds. There is another scenic place called Burke lake, you can rent boats there , also you can find bike trails and picnic and camping grounds. They also mini golf.

Sri

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Sriha and Sri,

"Great falls" seems to be a good place for a day trip. From here (Glen Allen), it will approximately take 2 hours to drive down for us.

Are there parking places inside the park, from where we can walk down to see the falls? If so..how long does it take to walk from the parking lot?

Is the way very steep and narrow? Can any of you elaborate please?

Also, we are planning to carry all food items, snacks and drinks..(since the weather is hot nowadays). So are there picnic areas inside the park?

Cheers
    Krithika

10. sriha

sriha Senior IL'ite

Sorry I could not send reply immediately.

I know from VA Side, parking space is ample and it is just few minutes from the parking lot to the Falls.

The path is narrow and steep. Carry food,snacks and water(important one) with u as there is one shop but closes very soon. There is a picnic area u can cook in grill if u like. Nice to place to enjoy with family.

Enjoy u r trip

With Regards
    Sriha

Attached Files: