1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Liked anything that you read here? You may nominate it as the Finest Posts!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Any technical writers here?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by neetu, Mar 3, 2010.

1. neetu

neetu Junior IL'ite

Hi ladies, is there anyone working in the technical writing field? What are the job prospects in this field in US? Are there any courses that we can do? I would like to know more about MS in technical writing. Do you know nay university offering this degree?

What are the prospects of a non-native speaker of English getting a job in this field?

Are there any other related degrees that can be done? Thanks!

2. Enchanted

Enchanted New IL'ite

Hey there. I am a TW, but thus far my job/training has been in India. There are plenty of resources online that talk about training for TW aspirants as well as about Masters program. The STC (Welcome to the Society for Technical Communication) and TWIN in India are great places to get some valuable information.

As for job prospects, here is an interesting article on the current TW market.
    Technical Writers

You could also sign up for TW mailing lists STC and other sites, and also on Yahoo group lists that send in opps for TWs (some of these job offers are exclusive since it gets exposure to targeted job seekers).

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010