1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Any Supplements Or Food To Boost The Immune System?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gknew, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One of my kids had to get adenoids out. After that I haven’t got strep at all. My gut feeling is that she was the strep carrier around me. I also have vit d and b12 deficiency but never had strep again.

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I found this thread at the right time.. `my fifth strep throat this year :(.... @Laks09 thank you for the info.. I never threw away toothbrushes , dint even occur to me, and I am guilty of being inconsistent with the timing of taking antibiotics...

Thyagarajan, gknew and Laks09 like this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

No worries. I think you can use any probiotics available over the counter. Also ask your family doctor. I am taking this probiotic . Its prescribed by my family doctor and is also available in Amazon. To enhance good bacterial growth I am also taking Calcium/Magnesium Butyrate. May be you don't need all. Tests revealed that I have only healthy bacteria but the bacterial colony in my gut dont have full spectrum, only half of what is needed. So I was looking for specific bacteria's :). If you eat good food, it will support good bacteria. Also reduce the use of sugar as it can enhance bad bacteria. Over use of antibiotics kill many. May be that's the one reason for my case in addition to diet restrictions. Healthy gut is also important to maintain good health.

I take this supplement,not every day, once in a week. Don't take too much Vitamin D,in one day. I noticed that the prescribed medicine alone dont help my vit D levels. Also this is natural source, not artificial.

Good luck OP. You are on right track I believe, I have neglected my health even though I took antibiotics often due to similar infections for almost one year. I was in hospital all the time. Slowly, other major series issues emerged due to poor immunity. Then only I realized, some of the damages are irreversible. I don't remember having even a fever when I was in India. I believe change in environment is the culprit behind many issues like low vit D and related problems.

Better now than never. Take care.

@Laks09 , I never thought strep throat infections can be prevented this way. I rarely got it. Buts its a good information. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

So true. Few years ago I took several antibiotics for so many issues and my immunity reduced drastically! Every now and then I was struggling with cough and cold.
    Touch wood after coming to US, recurring cough and cold reduced drastically.

Thyagarajan, gknew and DDream like this.
  5. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Strep also lives in our private parts down there and on skin and a lot of dangerous bacteria in our nostrils. So, make sure everyone washes hands after bathroom use, every one cleans their nostrils during shower, or washes hands if they are picking their nose- best not to pick nose. Never pick skin with nails, I see many children- picking nose, using nails to scratch skin.

Good bacteria in gut like good food like- broccoli, greens, kale, radish- whole spectrum of vegetables. If you take the probiotic, consider it the seeds of good bacteria but for the bacteria, to thrive, you will need good veggies. I will say do not use fruits, at this point when your immune is low because many fruits are being modified to be very sweet and it might increase the bad bacteria, fungi etc in your system. Stay away fruits for one-two years.
    Wonder foods are: asparagus, broccoli, greens- any kind- kale, spinach, chards, radish. Eat all kind of veggies.

When you get strep, start using your finger with tooth paste to clean your teeth and metal tongue clear (that you can boil and clean often with soap and water). How much ever you change the toothbrush, there is a chance to re infect.

Thyagarajan, gknew and shravs3 like this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Ohh..you may be right @Laks09.
    I always get strep after my son's sickness. He was sick last week and I am sick this week. He also suffers from strep. He had those few times a year. I have to check him with a doctor.

Thyagarajan and Laks09 like this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @DDream l. I really appreciate your inputs.
    Yeah. Even I was not so sick when I was in India. The vitamin deficiences and the strep occurrence are after coming to the US. This year, I feel like I am in the hospital the whole year. Not even a month where I have not been to the hospital. DH was telling and teasing me that, we didn't even miss a month to go to the hospital this year. Poor me.
    I am taking vitamin D3 liquid form 7000iu/ day. My Dr has prescribed D2 50000iu/week tablets. I didn't take those. D3 is improving my Vitamin d levels better. I was taking my doctor's prescribed D2 for an year and my levels increased only by 0.2.
    Thanks again.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @hermitcrab.
    Good to know about the veggies which boost the immune levels. I will surely take those.

9. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I buy the frozen amla in Indian stores only. If it is not available in your city, try dry amla powder. may be available in amazon also. Amla (indian gooseberry) gives the same result whatever may be the form, whether fresh, frozen or dried. Every week I make amla raitha and eat with rice.
    Amla, yogurt,salt,coconut and green chillies - Grind everything in a mixie and saute with mustard seeds.

shravs3, Thyagarajan and gknew like this.
  10. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

There’s lot of research done on amla and it was decided that vitamin C in amla stays same irrespective of amla’s form and is very bio available- this makes amla a wonder food!
    Do include it.

Thyagarajan and gknew like this.