Any side effects after Epidural....

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by MOM 2 BE, Apr 17, 2009.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Re: Epidural & Back pain

Hey, how is it going now for you and the little one... sorry, I was not around for a few days and I cant seem to find any new posts. Is the baby gaining now... Good luck mommy.

2. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Hi Mommies,

Have you experienced any side effects after Epidural....??

I know its very common practice in abroad how about those who have taken it in India,any particular complication?

In another forum I read a post from lady who almost lost her sensation to foot for 6 months?

kindly share your experiences.

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Cutekid,
    Though this hasbeen discussed in other threads in pregnancy fourm, again here you go for info.
    Its not a mandatory thing anyways and we are capable enough to give birth without these epidurals. And it's important to know about these before making a decision. Few women who use the epidural experience severe headaches that can last for weeks after delivery. Backpain will be there and you need to use maternity belt to get support. I faced these two issues with my epidural delivery. Though its a normal delivery, but these issues made me mad till 3 months post delivery. Apart from that, I dont see much effects.

4. Sjohri

Sjohri New IL'ite

epidural injection and epidural anesthesia ?

hi ILols
    can anybody tell me epidural injection and epidural both r the same thing?pls tell me d name of injection.if possible.

5. cutekid

cutekid Silver IL'ite

Thanks Priya Mom.First hand information is always useful.

Is there any mom who had opted for both No pain medication & pain medication like epidural?

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Re: epidural injection and epidural anesthesia ?

Anesthesia is the procedure of anesthetising.. and injection means injecting the medicine inside.. Injection is more of a lame term.

So, guess since epidural is in both the contexts.. it is the same. :)

7. geethas

geethas New IL'ite

Re: Epidural

I am wife of an anethetist in coimbatore.

He is doing a good work without injection and without drugs for labour pain relief.

Technique is called as TENS,its really worth trying

8. WorkingWoman

WorkingWoman Gold IL'ite

I had opted for it for my daughter's birth. I did not find any issues with it at all. The delivery was also normal and much comfortable. I would not mind opting for it next time.

9. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

Epidural facts

Dear Ilites,

I am into my 26th week, and I am reading extensively about pain less normal deliveries etc.

I have read some where that epidural causes back problems.
    The procedure for epidural goes as: first of all local anesthesia is given in the lower back then a large needle is inserted through which a thin pipe is inserted in the spinal chord to supply the medicine through out.
    During this procedure there is a chance that some membranes in the spinal chord get displaced by the thin pipe and this causes future back related problems.

So I am wondering about what are its advantages over C-Section in terms of back related problems.

Please share your views and experiences on this.This will help many future moms to be like me.

10. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Re: Epidural facts

Pain less delivery is next to impossible. :)
    But trust me, you will forget all the pain when you hold your baby for the first time.
    Honestly, now I can't even recall the pain..

I had epidural. Normal delivery. 12 hrs labor.
    No side-effects. No back pain. I was back on my feet the 2nd day or so.

Went through the total pregnancy, delivery & the next 3 months with NO help from either side parents. Just me & my DH managed the new born very efficiently.

Good luck! :thumbsup

1 person likes this.