1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Primary Breadwinners?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anayasree, Apr 18, 2018.

1. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

Long story short, I am the breadwinner of my family. It was a joint decision and we agreed that H would do all the house work and take care of our daughter while I pursue my career. In-laws were in different city. They are generally non intrusive. Everything went well until his parents decided to move to our city. This is not a permanent move, but something is bothering me a lot.

H does not do any work any more. MIL takes care of everything, cooking, caring for kid, etc. She is generally a good MIL so no problem there. I should actually be happy cos everything is fine. But I am fuming inside. H and I agreed he would be a stay at home dad and that was why I agreed to be the breadwinner. Now I feel the situation is so unfair. H gets everything handed in his hands, need not even lift a finger to get anything done where as I slog at work and I work really hard. How fair is this?

How should I handle this? Let it go as they would move back to their city in a couple of years or bring this up. Need honest opinion if my thinking is wrong.

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Since it is for couple of years has your H considered finding a job ? I think the way your thinking is not right. You made joint decision now his mom is helping him.Why are you fuming for this ? what is bothering you ?

sindmani, Sandycandy and shravs3 like this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Firstly you should be happy for getting such a wonderful husband who takes care of home and kid . Since it was a joint decision why should you feel bad ?
    And since your mil does all the work now then why bother ?? Infact you should be happy since they are respecting your decision and allowing you to work fulltime . Just imagine if both of them had to work and without inlaws you had to struggle at both the places . But now it’s only work .And wat if you had typical MIL who expects DIL to cook inspite of working ?
    I feel you are jealous of your husband , like some men feel the same when they are the sole breadwinners and if wife is SAHM!

sindmani, Sandycandy and Sunburst like this.
  4. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

If his mom is helping him with household work, it would not bother me. It is bothering me cos he basically does nothing and his mom does all the work. From my perspective, H and W should run the family, with may be additional occasional support from parents. I am fuming cos he is not doing the typical SAHD work. Tell me where is my thinking wrong?

5. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

May be since your MIL is there she is not wanting your DH to do thinks like cooking , cleaning etc.

sindmani likes this.
  6. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

Exactly, and it is okay cos everyone deserves a break may be for a week or 2. But how long do I tolerate this? I feel this is not equal partnership. I have tried to let it go, but dont know how to handle it.

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Since it’s a temporary move , I say don’t fret about it . If everything is going fine on the home front and you are able to pursue our career , why rock the boat ? It doesn’t matter who cooks , cleans or who does what chores as long as a) your household is being managed while you are at work b) your kid is getting good care .
    In Indian setup , it’s rare that a mom will ever let her son do anything around the house .Always pick your battles wisely and focus on the bigger picture. The one thing you can ask your DH would be to take your kid for outings or give him some arts/ crafts projects at home or take him to some activity classes around . Not sure how old your kid is but if he he has some hobbies and interests , consider enrolling him in a class or have your DH teach him more .

For now , just keep it status quo if it’s a temp setup .

8. anayasree

anayasree Silver IL'ite

Everything is not exactly smooth. It is fine only if I turn a blind eye. H and I had our own rhythm of doing stuff around our home. Now MIL changes everything and it is easier for me to convey stuff to H than my MIL. I dont feel like its my house any more and I dont have control over lot of things if it is managed by MIL. I know it is temporary, still...

Edited to add: I dont want to turn this into a MIL issue as that is not the problem here. She is not at fault here at all.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. Dreams

Dreams Junior IL'ite

I am just replying to let you know I can very much understand what you are talking,

I don't know what was the situations at home when you and your husband came to an mutual agreement ? Is it really a mutual understanding or sort of an udjustment to lead the life smoothly. Since you said it's few years setup... what about your husbands thoughts about finding a job . ?

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

A couple of years is a long time for you to put up with this without saying anything. Since your MIL seems to be handling the home front it might be worthwhile for your husband to look for a job, and you can get domestic help to assist her. This will increase the family savings and he can always step back once they leave.