1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

any indian lunch ideas for American people!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by cheesecake, Apr 14, 2015.

1. cheesecake

cheesecake Senior IL'ite

American colleagues of dh is coming for lunch.please suggest me what I can cook for then.I can prepare veg food food only.both appetizers and lunch.

2. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

This is what I made when I had my husband's American friends for dinner. Paratha with chole, vegetable cutlets with sauce, salad, potato gravy (not too spicy)and had got some fresh bread from whole food.

For dessert I made gulab jamuns with Ice cream (this I got from whole food again)trust me they just loved the dessert :) :) :)

3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I once made Medu vada, sambar (they called it lentil doughnuts!), some veg fried rice + raita and poori - chole ! They can have the rice also with chole :)

And curd rice with tadka and grapes and pomegranates in it ! We call it daddojanam!

I made gajar halwa (carrot halwa) for dessert
    They loved it all :)

4. Luckyangel

Luckyangel Senior IL'ite

Americans love naan and curry (anything with very very less spice). All my American friends ask me to teach them naan so I learnt it just to teach them ;).. You can get it from the store as the store ones are good too.
    In South Indian food, they like Masala Dosa but it's not easy to prepare for many guests at a time. They pretty much like most of the familiar Indian food (available in US restaurants). If they love Indian food they would love to try different varieties.
    My friends really crave for sarson ka saag, saag paneer, paneer curries, paneer tikka masala. You can also serve Indian salads like raw cucumber salad, corn and pomegranate salad, starters like pakora, aloo tikki, samosa etc.
    They like our Basmati rice..you can prepare Jeera rice/ pulav with dhal or any other accompaniment. Americans just love our deserts (not too sugary ones).. Also, you can prepare your regional speciality food, chai, drinks like lassi which everyone loves.
    Hope these options will help you. Keep it simple, tasty and well organized. They will love it!
    Good luck.

5. cheesecake

cheesecake Senior IL'ite

Thank you all.I am relieved that I can prepare all these.menu not decided but will make some curry and Naan for sure :)

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dhokla with coconut/coriander chutney is easy to make and is a good starter too. Other starters like bhel mix with boiled potatoes tomatoes and mild date/ green chutney, PAV bhaji will also go well. Others hv given good inputs here

7. cheesecake

cheesecake Senior IL'ite

Thanks.any sweetdish ideas?

8. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Dont worry , whatever you make will be fine. Just make sure to reduce number of green chillies, red chillies or chilly powder by 1/2 or 2/3 in the entrees. You can substitute with pepper powder. For sweet dish reduce amount of sugar similarly to half or 2/3. Keep a salad and plain yogurt.

9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Rice or vermicelli kheer: chilled, served in small portions
    Gulab jamuns or rasgulla
    Rasmalai
    And have some fresh fruit salad as an option

10. mariajose

mariajose New IL'ite

Potato sticks, veg noodles, bread pakoda, vegetable soup