1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea on what this tree is called -

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by tikka, Feb 9, 2010.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am trying to figure out what this plant/tree is called. It grows to a tree of about 10 mts, has pale green leaf and from my neighbour's garden it looks like it has purplish flowers.
    A nursery I buy plants from called it "byz(s)onia" But I cant figure out what it is and google does not show up anything. The gardener said the plant helps with backaches and arthritis, therefore my interest. I am trying to see how this leaf can be cooked, if at all.
    Appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

tikka,

though yours look a matured leaf. i think it is the same that i have talked in the 3rd picture in the thread. but we don't get purple flowers. so cannot confirm. but i have never seen flowers on this plant. have you been on the road near the periyar planetorium, you find the plant that i talk about planted will ask somebody i know if there is a variety that has purple flowers.

it is called vadanarayani by many people. there is another name in tamil. it is definitely used for pain relief. some saute it in ghee for effect. At home we cook it every 10 days.

just clean it, each leaf, then remove the centre vein, chop it and make it just like we make any other leaf.

3. krispriya

krispriya Platinum IL'ite

hi tikka, we call it as lechapattai keerai in tamil. very good for health. cooking as normal follow shanvy's

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

thanks Sri and Shanthi. This is exactly how the gardener said I cook it too. I think I will plant it in full son and see if it grows well, the current location is under a neem tree and fully shaded. I googled Delonix elata, of course that looks very different. I find no plant called byzonia/bysonia,bisonia, bizonia though :)

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kritika,

just a good branch would do. i potted one from one of my neighbours it is now growing real well.

the leaves tend to shrink if not watered well. good water and sunlight, the leaves are very good.