Any idea abt SAP? Advice to start a career

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by pinky2, Nov 30, 2007.

1. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites,

Do anyone have idea abt SAP? I heard from people that we get good offers in SAP.
    Is there any link to start preparing ?

I did my masters in IT ( From India). No work Experience, since i got married n started family when I was in college. Till now i do feel that i don't have any work experience.Now my kid is 4 yr old, he goes to pre-school and does most of his work by himself without my help.He also don't need me a lot since he engage himself in TV, reading books,browsing educative websites and playing.Sometimes i do play with him.So i feel i can spend some time preparing for a Job,since I can work in US.

Hope getting some ideas from you all will help me. How can i get into IT as a fresher in US?I appreciate ur ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    Pinky:wave

2. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pinky,

Same boat Pinky.I did my MCA in india in 2003 and moved to usa immediately with my husband after marriage.I have no other work experience other than final semester project in my mca.My son is 3yrs old now.He too goes to preschool for 3 half a days a week.Iam looking forward to start my career.I have a gap of 4years after education from 2003.Now iam seriously searching for job from 1month.Iam browsing for software engineer jobs in indeed.com,dice.com,simplyhired.com,jobdango.com etc and posting resumes at company websites.Went to couple of interviews,but could not do it good as iam loosing confidence with such a gap of 4years in my career.
    I think i need to take some courses in community college to keep myself current.In the interview they are asking,what have u done till now to keep urselves current??

Keep in touch,
    Vaishu

3. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Hi vaishu,

i think its better to find a company who can market your resume. so that they have many contacts and it will be a bit easier than depending on dice/monster etc.,

but i think as the holiday season has started the market seems dull :(

i am also on the lookout for job.

All the best!!!

4. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vaishu,

Thanks for the jobsites. If i hav know any inf. reg. the job, sure'll inform you.

All The Best for your jobsearch.

Bye,
    Pinky.

5. Rogo

Rogo New IL'ite

Hey Ladies,

All the best for the Job hunt !
    I heard from my consultant that this time the market is very nice ..usually during year end there will be a budget freeze ..but looks like this year it is good .....
    Pinky..Have you done any courses in SAP ? If yes , try getting into some SAP forums and learn abt SAP..that will add to your knowledege .You will get an idea of what kind of problems will be there in real time .This what I am trying to do to keep myself updated.
    If you dont know SAP but thinking of starting career in SAP , then keep yourself open.
    In my opinon for working moms ,it is always to have good to have 9-5 jobs
    My friends who are moms prefer testing.Did you give a try for testing ?
    As of now you can start in testing and as time goes by you can shift to other technologies.
    Think abt it !

6. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pinky,

SAP has many modules like FICO, SCM, etc. Read up on each of their solution offerings and see if that is of interest to you.

One thing to keep in mind is that more often than not, jobs like SAP (or Oracle or Peoplesoft or JD Edwards) consultant etc require a lot of traveling. They pay well of course but you might be working out of town 5 days a week.

This is one reason why I didnt opt for SAP. I've personally gone in for DBA and project management work. These jobs do not require a lot of travel and at the same time are intellectually satisfying (to me).

Getting into the job market after a gap of several years, I would suggest that you take a couple of courses (community college sounds good), get a certification (if you can) in the field you are interested in.

When you say in the interview that you have been going to this and this college for further studies or that you have recently acquired this certification, it immediately tells the interviewer that you are knowledgeable and serious about your career.

Hope this helps.

Aarushi

7. VasumathyBalaji

VasumathyBalaji Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Actually before starting my career in S/W Testing, i did my SAP Course.
    In SAP, we have two options like Functional and Technical, Now they even have cross modules like Techno functional. If u are opting for Functional, then as mentioned above we have MM, FICO, SD, HR, PR and more.
    I if u need to be a functional consultant, then u shoud have prior experience in any of the above fubctioanl categories. Say for ex, if u have around 5 yrs of experience in HR or in FICO (Finanace and control), then if u complete this course u have very good openings in the US and in Middle east and in India too.
    But if u r a fresher or new to the IT , then u prefers to do the technical SAP like ABAP, then u should be well versed in the coding and in all the technical jargons.

All the best!!!

Cheers
    Vasu

8. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rogo, Arushi and Vasu,

Thanks a lot for your valuable ideas.

Rogo, whats the forum you mentioned to get updates on SAP? Once I was preparing the basics - Introduction in SAP, after that couldn't go thru..bcoz of lots of diversions...Really hard to concentrate on studies with lots of distractions and busy with my kid.

Really want to start my carrier ASAP. Let me Hope for the best.

Thanks,
    Pinky.

9. Rogo

Rogo New IL'ite

Hi Pinky,

I am sorry ,I have no idea about the sites for SAP.I am working in Oracle ....and there are lots of forums out there for oracle ...similarly i guess you should be having for SAP ...
    try searching in google for SAP forums ...

I do have some friends who work on SAP ..i will check it out with them and let you know if there are any good ones....

10. sreejag

sreejag Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pinky,
    SAP has functional, technical or techno-functinal choice.

You have many modules like HR, FICO, SRM, WM, SCM, MM, SD etc.

if u have MBA degree or finance experience or a CPA degree(from here), then u can go for fico functional training.

functional side of SAP requires practical experience in each of its own module. the pay scale for functional side is very good but the expectations are higher from the candidate who gets a job.

Technical side is much easier when compared to functional side.

techno-functional side again requires experience in both technical and functional experience.then a candidate becomes a techno-funtional. but for candidates who are looking for a job after a gap, this is not a good choice right away.

based on your degree and interest, select a module,and try getting a certification, so that u have more chance in getting a job.

Hope this information helped u a bit.

regards,
    sreelata.s